PDA

View Full Version : Skid control help

Newbster
11-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi just today I had a recent skid that scared the crap out of me and I want to prepare incase I have another one.

It was a rainy day out today, but at the time of the skid it was not, just a slight film of water on the roadway. I was at a red light taking a left at a 3-way. On green I went at a semi-slow pace (about 10mph or so) and then my rear wheel whipped out so I turned very quickly in the oppisite direction, because now my car is turned 45 degrees facing oncoming traffic, and then after I quickly turn the wheel the car gains traction then whips back the other way still skidding, I turn the wheel again gaining a little straighter each time, then finally I am going straight. It was quite a terrifying experience. This was on my so called "winter" tires also. I feel that my summer tires could have handled the rain fine, as they always have.

So after all this, I am scouring google for "skid" tips, or sliding control tips and cant really find what I'm looking for.

Do any of you know the best ways to recover from a skid like that, or was that the best possible way? PS. I was not braking at all since I was going slow, my instinct was to just regain control.

:thumbsdow

StormyBklyn
11-26-2007, 06:40 PM
When you're in a spin, turn into the spin. Trying to turn in the other direction will force you even further out of control. As you're turning in, try and straighten yourself out, but don't panic.

If you can (as crazy as this sounds), try and practice in a parking lot or open lot with no barriers and nothing to hit (check to make sure you're not breaking any laws, though). Hydroplane the car a little, and get comfortable getting out of it.

The last thing you want to do is slam on the brakes or gas and turn away from the direction you're heading.

Murgatroy
11-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Braking in a skid is never a good idea. If you are skidding that means that your tires are not gaining traction, if you brake, the tires are going to stop rotating, if you have no traction that isn't going to stop you, that is however going to make regaining control more difficult.

I think things like this should be covered in driver's ed and so forth heavily.

First, steering in the direction of the skid is right. If your tail skids to the passenger side (right) steer into it, toward the right. Let off the gas, but do not brake. Once you get the hang of it you will want to gas back into the direction, but for beginning you will always want to let off the gas, it is better for the car to come to a stop in a controlled manner than for it to go out of control while accelerating.

I grew up on gravel roads, so controlling a skid is second nature to me.

If you want to get a little more experience in controlling skids, head out to a deserted parking lot. If it has iced over, just do some low speed pulls on the E-brake. Stay away from any obstacles. Get way out in the middle, all alone. Start going forward, turn the wheel slightly to one direction and pull the e-brake up, then immediately put it back down and steer out of the skid.

This is the best way I can think of to get some experience in controlling skids short of going to a driver's training school or growing up on gravel.

Then again I am the crazy guy that will pull the e-brake at 40 mph going around curves just to make a for good photo ops. ;)

undecided
11-26-2007, 06:53 PM
i had a skid today.. crashed into a curb bc of it.. bending my lower control arm.. i braked like an idiot.

Newbster
11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
That stinks undecided.......

But yeah I am thankful that my reactions were quick and I did exactly what you guys were saying, turning into the spin.

extremeskillz
11-26-2007, 08:07 PM
i love skids, its the only drifting i do. :hehe:. I trained myself to always let the wheels continue to spin with a pump braking action to help slow the wheels down to get traction. Its a combo of pump braking, steering, and common sense to be successful at it.

celica91gts
11-26-2007, 08:26 PM
When you're in a spin, turn into the spin. Trying to turn in the other direction will force you even further out of control. As you're turning in, try and straighten yourself out, but don't panic.

If you can (as crazy as this sounds), try and practice in a parking lot or open lot with no barriers and nothing to hit (check to make sure you're not breaking any laws, though). Hydroplane the car a little, and get comfortable getting out of it.

The last thing you want to do is slam on the brakes or gas and turn away from the direction you're heading.

i always used to e-brake and hydro plane in parking lots.... no matter where u are its illigal.

Mafix
11-26-2007, 08:31 PM
have you checked your tires lately? perhaps it's time for new ones.