PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with these headlights?

StormyBklyn
11-21-2007, 07:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300174240410&rd=1

I have the diamond cut clears in the AT, but I want to get something a little different for the 'vert. That, with the clear bumpers and corners, blue tinted bulbs all around.
Opinions?

Slider
11-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Interesting, haven't seen those before.

Cavanagh
11-21-2007, 07:09 PM
They're prolly pretty cheap, 20 bucks for a set...

celicaGT90_05
I saw those and thought about trying them, I'm just not sure. They also have them in chrome housing with the projector

celicaGT90_05
There prolly pretty cheap, 20 bucks for a set...

High end lights at the store are like $15 per set....

Cavanagh
11-21-2007, 07:10 PM
My Silverstars were like 20 a piece. I'm not sure, maybe they are good, its a crap shot, its Ebay.

celicaGT90_05
11-21-2007, 07:12 PM
I think they sound worth the try, most cheap products that come off ebay tend to be pretty good, that is if you know what you're doing. Were your silverstars the bulbs or the housings with bulbs? The housing is whats cheap

StormyBklyn
11-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Found a set for $10USD, giving it a try. I'll post pics when I have them installed. I also just ordered the clear corners and bumper lights. I should get them all around the same time, and since I don't have any pics of the 'vert, I'll be taking them then, with this installed.
Keep your fingers crossed, mine are, I hope those "projector" lights look good!

celicaGT90_05
11-21-2007, 07:24 PM
hey man if you approve I'll consider getting them myself!

extremeskillz
11-21-2007, 08:34 PM
I have diamond cuts w/o the parking light and is perfered. I used the ones with the parking light and get crappy light diffusion. Those are different then again they are halo projectors.

The Captain
11-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Hmmm. Round light in square hole. I think it was kindergarten when I learned that didn't work. Just go with some APC clears. They're cheap and look good.

But hey, if you like 'em then I say go for it!! For $10 it's worth a shot.

PhillyDRFT
11-21-2007, 10:11 PM
They are fiberglass backed, The mounting points that hold your bulb down works by a wire twisted around and screwed down on both sides. The threaded holes will strip the first time you take the screws out. to replace the bulbs. I've had experience with 3 sets of these. and two of the normal H4 kits, They all come from the same manufacturer on ebay. All were ordered from different sellers also.

My girlfriends had glass fronts, Mine were plastic so it's a roulette if you get glass or plastic. The light diffusion is horrible. on any road without street lights or even dimmed lights, Expect to use your high beams. They will also come with a set of low brand super blue bulbs usually. I didn't like them at all, I kept them for maybe a month then traded them to a friend with a 240. (Same size headlights if you want to cross reference)

At the moment I'm using the Sylvania Silver Stars. They are a sealed beam H4. About 18$ a piece. So just as much as buying the set of nice bulbs for those housings. I like them. They have the bluish purple tone like newer lexus and BMW headlights.

Just my .2c

Cavanagh
11-21-2007, 11:51 PM
I think they sound worth the try, most cheap products that come off ebay tend to be pretty good, that is if you know what you're doing. Were your silverstars the bulbs or the housings with bulbs? The housing is whats cheap
I got the ones Philly was refferring too, the whole housing unit. I liked them alot but i've only had them for a year and a half and one of the low beams doesnt work already! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Im wondering if a wire is loose or the bulbs are just crap. grr

celicaGT90_05
11-22-2007, 12:15 AM
^ Sounds like a loose wire to me. On my celica my left light didnt work, then as I was cruisin through town one night it just popped on and havent had a problem since. It's odd how cars do that to you

Mr Celica
11-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Hmmm. Round light in square hole. I think it was kindergarten when I learned that didn't work. Just go with some APC clears. They're cheap and look good.

But hey, if you like 'em then I say go for it!! For $10 it's worth a shot.

lol yea something looked odd about them. thanks for clearing that up!

tuner4life
11-22-2007, 03:08 AM
I purchased a set of light conversions similar to those. The black housing made the cheap h4 bulbs that it came with seem really dim, in fact I had to have my high beams on to be able to see at all on a country road. I purchased a set of silverstar ultras for them and they were still too dim. I now have a set of 8000k Xenons for them that I haven't hooked up yet. But they had better be bright enough. If not I will get a set of the chrome ones. If you get them plan on getting xenons to be able to see on the back roads. They look sweet on the car though... :bigthumbu

StormyBklyn
11-22-2007, 04:43 AM
I purchased a set of light conversions similar to those. The black housing made the cheap h4 bulbs that it came with seem really dim, in fact I had to have my high beams on to be able to see at all on a country road. I purchased a set of silverstar ultras for them and they were still too dim. I now have a set of 8000k Xenons for them that I haven't hooked up yet. But they had better be bright enough. If not I will get a set of the chrome ones. If you get them plan on getting xenons to be able to see on the back roads. They look sweet on the car though... :bigthumbu

Well, there aren't too many back roads in Brooklyn, just about every street is lit up as bright as day, but it's good to know if I need to go upstate or when I go out to PA camping.

celicatrd93
11-22-2007, 12:06 PM
i bought a paır for 26 shipped and to be honest they are acutally really nıce for the prıce and look. they are brıght as hell and never really had a problem wıth them. they look good.

nyana107
11-23-2007, 02:04 AM
got any pics of em in action celicatrd93?

Galcobar
11-23-2007, 02:12 AM
Those aren't actually projector headlights -- the H4 bulb gives that away immediately. There is no projector in the housing. All that design is, is a pretense. It's supposed to look like you've installed a set of projectors into your housing. To the uneducated, it might actually give that impression. To anyone who knows what a real projector with an H1, H9, etc bulb looks like -- these look exactly like what they're worth.

Mafix
11-23-2007, 02:13 AM
those look like only 2 wire bulbs.

celicaGT90_05
11-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Those aren't actually projector headlights -- the H4 bulb gives that away immediately. There is no projector in the housing. All that design is, is a pretense. It's supposed to look like you've installed a set of projectors into your housing. To the uneducated, it might actually give that impression. To anyone who knows what a real projector with an H1, H9, etc bulb looks like -- these look exactly like what they're worth.

Actually, its not exactly what you're saying. The projector is the LENSE not the light. What you are referring to is HID systems which is completely different. The thing is, projectors are made for the HID system and wont work exactly how it should with a regular halogen bulb. There is a lot more I could explain, but HID kits actually require things like transformers and etc, projectors are just the type of lense.

HID kits are about $200-500 or so, and do not include a projector lense

edit-They are also known as xenon light kits because they are filled with xenon gas

Galcobar
11-23-2007, 04:09 AM
Projectors are a type of lighting. HID lamps all use projectors, but there are halogen projectors. For instance, the projectors found on sixth-gen Japanese and European Celicas using the H1 bulb, or these projector modules which use H7 and H9 bulbs.

Unfortunately, people often mistakenly believe one can stuff an HID bulb into a projector meant for a halogen to get the same effect as an HID system. You might get an approximation, but the simple difference of filament versus arc discharge produces an incompatability with the lens system.

The housings on that auction are a fakeout. They are meant to look like you installed a projector into the standard housing. The inclusion of heavily blue tinted bulbs is meant to make them look like the projectors installed were HID modules.

celicaGT90_05
11-23-2007, 06:02 AM
well granted that all HID kits that come factory use projectors, it's not 100% required. But projectors still arent a type of lighting, Halogen and Xenon are a type of lighting, as well as LED's, flourescent, cadescent, etc but as I said projector is the lense itself that is designed to improve the efficiency of xenon bulbs. Which, halogen tend to work better in housings surrounded by reflective material such as factory head lights, halogen doesnt need projectors

celicatrd93
11-23-2007, 11:27 AM
got any pics of em in action celicatrd93?

i do but not on this computer. ı have those pıcs on my other pc ın amerıca. sorry...

85gtsblackman
11-23-2007, 12:52 PM
get the autopal housings, the bulbs that come with em are decent, i put in hella h4 bulbs and i can see everything at night

also u can try the wagner true view or lazer blue h4

the true view puts out just as much light as the siverstar but is alot cheaper and last a hell of alot longer

u can get them at napa

Slider
11-23-2007, 06:20 PM
get the autopal housings, the bulbs that come with em are decent, i put in hella h4 bulbs and i can see everything at night

also u can try the wagner true view or lazer blue h4

the true view puts out just as much light as the siverstar but is alot cheaper and last a hell of alot longer

u can get them at napa

Quote for the truth. Best bang for the buck lighting, especially if you don't want to shell out the money for more expensive Cibie or Hella headlamps. I have Hella E Codes and the light output is great. Well one broke in the accident, so I'm rolling around with one sealed beam Silverstar and one Hella ECE. :(

Mr Celica
11-23-2007, 06:44 PM
where can you find all thses bulbs?

celicaGT90_05
11-23-2007, 08:56 PM
where can you find all thses bulbs?

which ones? Some ebay stores offer the xenon ones, but you'll be paying no less than $200 for the kit because of the equipment required.

http://hidplanet.com/main.html check this site out for more info

Galcobar
11-24-2007, 03:38 AM
as I said projector is the lense itself that is designed to improve the efficiency of xenon bulbs. Which, halogen tend to work better in housings surrounded by reflective material such as factory head lights, halogen doesnt need projectors

I'm sorry, but no.

One can argue over the technical definition of lighting, so let's set aside that issue and deal with the specifics of projector housings versus reflector housings.

A projector is a lighting module. There are plenty of cars equipped with projector headlights using a halogen bulb, stock. Check out a Mazda3 -- you'll see them all with projector headlamps, but only the GT have the option of HID.

(I try to avoid using the term xenon, partly because it's been so abused by unscrupulous sellers trying to pass off bulbs with a tungsten filament as HID, partly because a halogen bulb may include xenon in the gas mixture. In fact, all the high and ultra-high efficiency bulbs developed since the introduction of the H7 have included xenon for improved filament life.)

If you prefer to look at historic vehicles Chyrsler introduced a halogen projector in the early 1970s.

You may, if you wish, even purchase aftermarket halogen projectors, such as these Hella modules: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/120mm_modules.asp

The primary value for using projectors, rather than parabolic or free form housings (both are reflector type housings, though the free form reflector doesn't actually use a lens to help form the beam pattern), in terms of car design is the much smaller footprint they require. The primary value in terms of actual performance is the higher (almost double) efficiency of an ellipsoidal lens versus a parabolic lens (thinner glass) and much sharper definition of the beam pattern.

I should note it is possible, though rare, to find a reflector housing used by an HID bulb. The D1R type of HID bulb is used in a reflector housing, rather than a projector. I believe the Nissan Altima coupe offers HID in a reflector housing.

Mr Celica
11-24-2007, 05:29 AM
which ones? Some ebay stores offer the xenon ones, but you'll be paying no less than $200 for the kit because of the equipment required.

http://hidplanet.com/main.html check this site out for more info

no, i don't want ebay ones. i don't want HID, either. i am talking about the sylvania silverstars.

celicaGT90_05
11-24-2007, 06:14 AM
I'm sorry, but no.

One can argue over the technical definition of lighting, so let's set aside that issue and deal with the specifics of projector housings versus reflector housings.

A projector is a lighting module. There are plenty of cars equipped with projector headlights using a halogen bulb, stock. Check out a Mazda3 -- you'll see them all with projector headlamps, but only the GT have the option of HID.

(I try to avoid using the term xenon, partly because it's been so abused by unscrupulous sellers trying to pass off bulbs with a tungsten filament as HID, partly because a halogen bulb may include xenon in the gas mixture. In fact, all the high and ultra-high efficiency bulbs developed since the introduction of the H7 have included xenon for improved filament life.)

If you prefer to look at historic vehicles Chyrsler introduced a halogen projector in the early 1970s.

You may, if you wish, even purchase aftermarket halogen projectors, such as these Hella modules: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/120mm_modules.asp

The primary value for using projectors, rather than parabolic or free form housings (both are reflector type housings, though the free form reflector doesn't actually use a lens as part of the beam pattern), in terms of car design is the much smaller footprint they require. The primary value in terms of actual performance is the higher (almost double) efficiency of an ellipsoidal lens versus a parabolic lens (thinner glass) and much sharper definition of the beam pattern.

I should note it is possible, though rare, to find a reflector housing used by an HID bulb. The D1R type of HID bulb is used in a reflector housing, rather than a projector. I believe the Nissan Altima coupe offers HID in a reflector housing.

Sorry to say but you are kinda sayin what I'm sayin. As I said projector is the lense and the way it distributes the light, or as you refer to the module which would include the lense and housing. If projector were a type of lighting then it would be a single system, not be able to be used between different types of bulbs. And I'm not saying they dont make various types of projectors either, which seems to be your argument in this instance. Now I'm not tryin to get too in depth about this, but the way you're saying it would make one think that there are no other types of projectors except for the xenon bulbs

no, i don't want ebay ones. i don't want HID, either. i am talking about the sylvania silverstars.

Should have specified, I thought you were referring to the xenons, sylvania should be at your local auto parts store I beleive

Galcobar
11-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Sylvania Silverstars are H4 bulbs in a high-efficiency design (30% more effective lumens), with a blue tint. That blue tint in the glass reduces their output down to only about 10% above a standard halogen bulb, though it does push the colour temp up from 3200-3600K to 4000K.

They are a cosmetic upgrade without any significant downside, other than the inflated price. To get Osram Silverstars, which are the same bulb without the tint, best site I can suggest is powerbulbs.co.uk.

Alternately, you can look at Philips Vision Plus -- ultra-high efficiency bulbs with a 50% advantage over standard halogens, though the lifespan is considerably shorter.