PDA

View Full Version : The new Levin?

Ghosty
11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
http://www.7tune.com/?p=112

Joint project between Subaru and Toyota. The base engine is a new, flat 4, 1.5L, 108 hp @ 6400 rpm. Chassis is derived from a Subaru 15S platform (newest generation of WRX, I think).

Rear wheel drive, and 1100 kg. That's 2,425 lb- which is a little under the weight of a 5th gen Celica ST. Looks like a hatch, too. It's got to be the new Levin.

Only problem is, it seems to be only marketed for Europe and China.

I like the concept except for the looks, but it's a Subaru. And it may not make it stateside. What the hell are they thinking?

cms-gt4
11-19-2007, 06:18 PM
I think this car might be cool. There was rumor of an recreate ae86, but this seems more likely.

Ghosty
11-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I think this car might be cool. There was rumor of an recreate ae86, but this seems more likely.

I think its a cool concept too- it's about time Toyota and others reverted back to simple, lightweight, economical sports cars. I'm just not too hot about how Toyota had to go to Subaru for help on this one.

Also, if you read in the article, it mentions how the rear diff it a notable weak spot. I think that's a travesty if this car is supposed to be a performance RWD vehicle.

Sure, it will probably be a fun little gas-sipper with a little zing in its stock form. But the original Levin/ Tureno/ Corolla GTS had no such weak point, and could be upgraded well beyond stock specs with little issue.

cms-gt4
11-19-2007, 08:00 PM
I am hoping that this is the next engine swap special. I hope they make the engine bay large enough and make things compatible to swap bigger stronger parts. 12k for chasis, drop in a 3sgte and a supra rear lsd and bam, fun ass car.

GT4SOM
11-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Since its a flat four, why bother putting in a 3sgte?? I would find a STI engine and figure out how to put that in there. Hopefully they make it where you can swat a ton of parts with other subies!

cms-gt4
11-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Good point. I think i would go after a 2L wrx engine. They seem a bit more affordable than the sti engine and have good enough power.

Ghosty
11-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Since its a flat four, why bother putting in a 3sgte?? I would find a STI engine and figure out how to put that in there. Hopefully they make it where you can swat a ton of parts with other subies!

That would make for a very fun car.

This reminds me, anyone remember the Prodrive P2? Prodrive's frankensteined Subaru R1 keicar, mated with a WRC-ready STI engine and driveline? It killed the Aston Martin Vanquish, BMW M5, and a TVR in Top Gear tests. Naught to 60 in 3.8. And 340 hp.

Prodrive's Web site info on P2 (http://www.prodrive.com/level4.html?id=43)

It makes me wonder the possibilities with this setup.

It's not a Toyota, more like a "Toyotaru." Which is sad. Still, would be a fun car.

Mafix
11-19-2007, 08:47 PM
looks like a TC that's been hammered into an aerodynamic body with a damn flat 4. i'll never buy one.

donteatbugs
11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
thats too underpowered for my taste... ill keep my rolla and put a beams 3sge blacktop in it and do a comparision. the only thing good about it is that the interior isnt 23 years old

T-spoon
11-19-2007, 10:10 PM
looks like a TC that's been hammered into an aerodynamic body with a damn flat 4. i'll never buy one.

Exactly. Looks like a TC-new eclipse bastard child.

turbo4ag
11-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Whenever, or whatever comes out will surely fail to impress.

I liked the original sporty concepts, but this seems more of the watered down economy style thats similar to many Toyota models today. But things will continue to downfall, first news was that this would weigh around 2200 lbs, now its 2450, and at first they said goal starting price was around $12,000-$13,000... now they have it at $16,500-$18,000.

On the track its headed now, we're likely to end up with a RWD Toyota Yaris. A car with a 2 and 4 door option, thats RWD and starts at 16k, and no "REAL" engine option (they're likely to offer a higher engine, that costs much more that nobody will be willing to pay for... ie: Corolla XRS).

I wouldn't care if it was fast or not, I'd atleast settle for a RWD 2 door car, with sportscar styling that started at $13,000. Not everyone needs cars with a transistor for throttle, or weighs a ton because of a glass moon roof, traction control/ABS. I just want front and side air bags, ac, ps, RWD, 2 door... maybe 32 mpg for around $15,000. Is that too much to ask?

Ghosty
11-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Is that too much to ask?

Yes.

turbo4ag
11-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Yes.

Wrong. The Yaris is $11,000.

It already weighs 2263, light enough. Just make it RWD and more sporty looking. Maybe add a 1zzfe instead of 1nzfe. That can be accomplished with the extra $4000 to make it start at $15000.

But instead, its a RWD Yaris clone that weighs significantly more, yet has the same engine, similar size, and starts $4000 more. Nobody will fool me into believing that a RWD diff, and driveshaft will add 2000 lbs, nor does it cost $4000 more than a FWD transaxle. Toyota must take us for idiots.