PDA

View Full Version : Qn about driving in the snow

ronin
11-16-2007, 07:24 AM
hi. never done it. driven in the snow i mean. ive seen it etc, but we dont get enough or often enough to worry about it. if we get snow once a year that lasts a day its a bad year. ive heard a few people talking about snow tyres and wondering what the difference is? norrower rims? tread patterns designed specifically as a snow tread?? over here, if people go up to the mountains to snowboard, they use chains.. we dont have a specific snow tyre to use..

MCcelica
11-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Some people here get studded tires for winter. Basically turns the tires into football cleats. Snow tires use a harder rubber compound to keep an edge on ice and snow. The soft performance tires go nowhere in snow. As far as width goes, they keep it pretty similar to stock. Too narrow and the car is basically sitting on 4 ice skates. In the States, street tires are rated A through Z. A being an uber winter tire. Hard rubber compound, different treads etc. Those don't corner worth an ass on a dry road, but they have a pretty long treadlife for being so hard. Z rated tires are the exact opposite. They're softer rubber compounds for that extra stick in the corners. Softer rubber goes nowhere in snow and treadlife is reduced. Most people in the states go for an "All-Season" type tire. Those are in between the two extremes and are typically H-S rated.

geebes
11-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Studded tires are for gays.

Good winter tires will have a softer rubber, I find that they are amazing in the snow. Narrower is better to cut through the snow.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0255.JPG...a good tread design.

MCcelica
11-16-2007, 08:49 AM
See, that's weird cause that was the exact opposite of what I was told. Lol Jesus.

Slider
11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Summer tires turn rock hard in the winter and slip like crazy. You know you're in trouble when you're spinning tires in 2nd gear on dry asphalt..with a 5sfe :lolhittin

Snow tires usually get eaten up quicker if you drive them on asphalt. Since Chicago gets a good mix of dry/rain/snow in the winter time I chose to go with Nokian WR for this winter. It's an all-season tire with a M+S rating. It does as good or very slight worse in snow then dedicated season tires except it doesn't wear down as quick in the dry and you can drive it all year round. It's average in the dry but it's snow performance kicks ass. I still use summer tires in the summer.

MCcelica
11-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Well. I stand corrected then!

91 Celica GT-S
11-16-2007, 09:59 AM
get a narrow tire if you want snow tires. the reason is you want to put more weight to the ground (why ppl use sand bags) to get traction. a thinner tire will give you more weight per square inch which in turn gets better handling on the snow. on dry asphalt you want a thicker tire for more more traction on a larger amount of area.
the main problem with snow is you loose control cause the tire never touches the asphalt. chains are good but they only work with heavy snow. if theres only a little of snow theyll get messed up and break off. maybe those were just cheap.
id recomend all season for the winter

KoreanJoey
11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Summer tires turn rock hard in the winter and slip like crazy. You know you're in trouble when you're spinning tires in 2nd gear on dry asphalt..with a 5sfe :lolhittin

Snow tires usually get eaten up quicker if you drive them on asphalt. Since Chicago gets a good mix of dry/rain/snow in the winter time I chose to go with Nokian WR for this winter. It's an all-season tire with a M+S rating. It does as good or very slight worse in snow then dedicated season tires except it doesn't wear down as quick in the dry and you can drive it all year round. It's average in the dry but it's snow performance kicks ass. I still use summer tires in the summer.

Dude... try some Blizzaks...

Slider
11-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Dude... try some Blizzaks...

Actually that's what I was going to buy, but then I got convinced otherwise by my friend who has had both the Nokians and Blizzaks. He said he didn't see much difference between the two tires in snow performance. But the Blizzaks wear down quite a bit quicker because of its soft tire compound.

squall leonhart
11-16-2007, 04:55 PM
i've only driven on blizzaks and winterforce (cheap brand...about 44 bucks a peice when i bought them)

the blizzaks are great...but so were the winterforce tires...for like half the price i'll stick with em. pretty much felt the same, and had very similar treadwear.

though for now it doesn't matter. the new car came with brand new bf goodrich all-seasons...plenty of tread for the snow.

MrWOT
11-16-2007, 05:14 PM
If you've never driven in the snow before, here's my best advice, drive the car like you are in the middle of a 1+g corner. Sudden weight transfer are what will get you wrecked in the snow/ice.

ronin
11-16-2007, 11:11 PM
thanks for the replies peoplez. i was told about the narrow tyres but didnt really put much stock into it. now i understand. thanks heaps. not that im panning to drive in the snow, but the question was asked of me and i didnt really have an answer cept tell the person to take the bus..

hobbie2k
11-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Here in Minnesota chains are illegal because they tear up the road. So a proper set of winter tyres make a huge difference. My parents' Sentra (Pulsar in Aus) with an LSD and snow tyres has an easier time getting out of our driveway in the winter than the 4x4 Jeep.

Driving in snow itself isn't that difficult. It's ice that's the problem...

TEAMFaint
11-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Well I was gonna say, if you have a WRX and it snows, its not a big deal for you.
With my Gt-four I have Yoko's AVS summer tires, and I can still manage to get grip on snow, I just dont need to drive like a douche.

ronin
11-19-2007, 10:47 AM
i would think if i drove sensibly in the rex id manage. its more for celica and FWD cars i was thinking about, putting power down to the same wheels that do the steering would make it interesting id imagine. esp in something like a GT2 or other big power FWD cars..

Conrad_Turbo
11-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Wide tires float over snow...not something you want. Imagine the difference going down a hill with a pair of ski's and ice skates, that's the difference between wide tires and skinny tires in the snow. You want something that will cut through the powder.

As for tire softness, Blizzaks have dual compounds, as in the base of the tread is harder (to avoid the blocks from squishing all over the place) while as the part in contact with the road is softer to grip the ice better. That's a good reason to never buy used Blizzaks...good chance the soft compound of the tread is worn and you're stuck with hard compound "winter tires".

Fresh Blizzaks are awesome, studs are even better, bolts (LITERAL bolts) are retardedly awesome... :D

Slider
11-19-2007, 06:53 PM
bolts (LITERAL bolts) are retardedly awesome... :D

Haha never heard of that one. Is it something you brewed up in the shop or is it a trick you Canadians have been using for ages?

Conrad_Turbo
11-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Haha never heard of that one. Is it something you brewed up in the shop or is it a trick you Canadians have been using for ages?

It's used on ice race cars, they never see the street as it'd absolutely demolish asphalt or concrete. :hehe:

http://aycu18.webshots.com/image/12777/2004706285586816868_rs.jpg

I did a bit of ice racing in the past, but I just don't have the time nor funds for another form of racing. However that is a shot of some friends battling it out.