PDA

View Full Version : the sad day has come.

celica91gts
11-16-2007, 01:43 AM
recently my celicas been going through a lot of problems. a lot of random shit has been breaking, along with my gears grinding, compression leak, frount end damage. ect. so my dad bought me a nice 01 accord v6 automatic as my new car and daily driver. i convinced my dad to let me keep the celica so that later on in life (after college) i can work on it and fix it up. he said ok. so. for long term keep. how do i preserve my battery, my alternator, my oil, gasoline, just give me a few pointer on how to garage a car for a long period of time. tires? will get flat spots and such. should i set the car on jack stands? thanks in advance.

Mafix
11-16-2007, 01:45 AM
fill the gas tank (plan on draining it too), make sure the coolant is fresh, fresh oil, remove the battery completely. start the car and let it run about 20 minutes once a month or so. and yes put it on jack stands.

Cavanagh
11-16-2007, 02:07 AM
If he doesn't plan on moving it for a while, why shouldn't he just flush all the fluids and let it sit?

celicaGT90_05
11-16-2007, 02:27 AM
use fuel stabilizer in the tank, and yeah getting the car on stands and deflating the tires isnt a bad idea because they can dry rot and such. Flushing isnt a bad idea, will help keep dirt deposites from forming and then again when you bring it back out.

celica91gts
11-16-2007, 03:07 AM
If he doesn't plan on moving it for a while, why shouldn't he just flush all the fluids and let it sit?

i was thinking about that. but then wont the alternater go bad?

T-spoon
11-16-2007, 03:15 AM
More likely to dry rot hoses and such if it never has fluids circulating through it. That's part of why he was saying to start it up and let it run periodically.

Mr Celica
11-16-2007, 04:00 AM
the alternator wont go bad, dude. don't worry about it. is it garaged or what? jack stands are ok if you don't plan on moving it and its a solid surface. i just don't like the idea. i'd rather it sit on tires that i can replace than to sit on the sub frame for a long time...

just run it once a month to let it warm to operating temps.

how long are you planning on having it sit?

celicaGT90_05
11-16-2007, 04:54 AM
yeah the alt wont go bad, theres no magnetic feild or any type of electricity or anything like that unless the car is running

celica91gts
11-16-2007, 05:29 AM
im thinking it'll sit another 3 and a half years.... it will be garaged and sitting on concrete.

Murgatroy
11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
fill the gas tank (plan on draining it too), make sure the coolant is fresh, fresh oil, remove the battery completely. start the car and let it run about 20 minutes once a month or so. and yes put it on jack stands.
:stupid:

Stabil the tank of gas.

When you bring the car out of storage that is a whole new bag of worms, but we will cover that later. ;)

celica91gts
11-17-2007, 06:10 PM
:stupid:

Stabil the tank of gas.

When you bring the car out of storage that is a whole new bag of worms, but we will cover that later. ;)

that whole new bag of worms.... wanna fill me in?

Mafix
11-17-2007, 06:47 PM
draining everything. then replacing all dryrotted parts. debugging (literally) the underhood and such. prob need brakes too, depends on how bad they rust.

celica91gts
11-17-2007, 08:49 PM
wait.... it will rust even if its garaged? as of right now my celica has no rust... TUCSON ARIZONA FTW!

Mafix
11-17-2007, 09:45 PM
just the rotors. remember they are bare metal.

mook
11-17-2007, 10:01 PM
I'd be inclined to keep all the fluids in and topped up to beyond max, less change of moist air getting into things causing erosion internally. Like the idea of a spare set of wheels with some cheapo tyres just to keep it off stands and your current wheels/tyres on good form for the re-birth :)

celicaGT90_05
11-17-2007, 10:44 PM
just the rotors. remember they are bare metal.

It's not just that, its that rotors have a shit load of impurities. As long as you live in a fairly dry area, you shouldnt have rust issues at all. My grand prix was sitting for about a year before I got it and its rust is minimal

hotrodhendrixJCH
11-17-2007, 10:59 PM
I know its not what you want to here but.... I would sell it... Later in life (after college) buy an alltrac and save yourself a bunch of trouble.

nyana107
11-23-2007, 02:00 AM
hmm.. never knew they were alltrac owners in the area...where in fort worth are you located? maybe wwe can have a meet sometimes :-)

celica91gts
11-23-2007, 05:21 AM
fort worth? im located in tucson, az man

extremeskillz
11-23-2007, 01:29 PM
I would set it up so you could run it once in a while just to keep it moving and circulating, unless you plan on taking it apart while its sleeping then thats a different story.