PDA

View Full Version : basic questions

aldb10
11-15-2007, 11:55 PM
I swaped my GTS for a 3sgte and I removed my Air conditioning and now I need a new alternator's strap and I want to know the length I'm needing.

I also want to know if the engine's down support is the same for the 2.0 and the 2.2?

Thanks,
Alex

aldb10
11-28-2007, 04:34 AM
Anyone can answer me?

Thanks,
Alex

celicaGT90_05
11-28-2007, 04:43 AM
if you go to get a belt just tell them its without AC, they should have one for that, unless all 3S's have the compressor

Murgatroy
11-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Take a string and measure the path the accessory belt needs to be, then you will know how long you need the belt to be.

As for the down support? I assume you mean the exhaust, no, it is not the same. You will have to have a shop mate your down pipe to your GT-S factory exhaust.

aldb10
11-30-2007, 06:19 AM
No, I mean the support on the cross member. The one on the base of the tranny!

Alex

alltracman78
12-01-2007, 03:55 AM
So you need an alternator belt?

If you mean the transmission [engine] mount bracket, no they're different.
Which trans are you using?

aldb10
12-03-2007, 05:18 PM
The GT-4 tranny... we modified it and we will see after winter if it works like it suppose to!

yes I need an alternator belt without A/C... and the bracket I told you!

jason
12-03-2007, 05:41 PM
The alternator belt isn't an easy answer. Without getting a different sized pulley there's no way to run it correctly. If you go with one size belt (forget which one but just try it in the napa parking lot) then the tensioner can't soak up all the slack, if you go with the next shorter size you can't get it around both pulleys. Honestly, I don't know which pulley you need but most of us (I think) go with the belt ran over the tensioner so that the ridges of the belt meant for the pulley are riding on the smooth side of the tensioner. It actually works fine.

Carolina91GT-S
12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I can't remember who makes it, but you can buy an AC removal kit which is basically a bracket with an idle pulley on it that mounts where your AC would go. That way you use the same belt...etc

The bracket for the engine mount is not the same. I am also putting a 3SGTE into my 1991 GTS and using the GTfour XMSN. Last week at the shop we were trying to find a solution for the lower rear engine mount, haven't solved it yet. The original 5SFE GT/GT-S front to rear lower crossmember will not fit back on the car if you use the complete GTfour XMSN. The box and the crossmember want to occupy the same space. You can either: A: get an Alltrac/GTfour crossmember and go from there or B: Modify the existing brace substantially. I actually took pictures of this whole thing so I can do a writeup when it is finished. I do not have an Alltrac crossmember so I am modifying the GT-S crossmember, we'll see what happens. So far we have removed the part of the crossmember that prevents it from going in place with the GTfour XMSN and are now dealing with the actual engine mount. It is very tight in there, I think the AllTrac has a different firewall and provides more room that would be very helpful to have right now. the The car and shop are 1.5 hours away from me so I only get there maybe 2-5 days a month to work on it. If for some reason you need to see a picture of it I could send it to you. For now though I will wait until this is complete before I post them ...I always hate it when so many write ups get halfway through and just stop....sort of leaves you with more questions, I want to avoid that.

andy
12-03-2007, 09:40 PM
guys lord, some of the 88 celicas with 3sge came without air, go ask for a belt for a 88 gts without ac, its a drop in. ive been using it for well over a year.