PDA

View Full Version : 5.0 in a celica

bomkey_noy23
11-12-2007, 05:36 PM
i understand that a V-8 does not belong in a tunder car, but im going more for something that someone hasnt done before in one of these cars, plus, i already anticipate cutting half the fllor apart making room for the driveline. im wondering more of others people thoughts and idea's on this. i understand alot of people are going to say just get another car with one in it already, but that has already been done, i just want people idea's on this. i may go into it if i get enough idea's and my budget allows. im thinking of getting more the line of a mustang driveline 5.0, Tremec T-5, 8.8 rear end, set that up with a 4 link, but if there are any other cool idea's lemme hear em, maybe they'll end up in it.

burnyd
11-12-2007, 05:49 PM
well, how much experience do you have with fabrication?

extremeskillz
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM
anything is possible with a little imaginations. this has been done before.

GT4SOM
11-13-2007, 02:55 AM
V8 in a 5th gen celica has been done. It was a AWD celica though, looks like you just got a fwd one. It will be tough but it can be done.

juggernaut
11-13-2007, 03:18 AM
i was kickin around the idea of a 350 or a 400 ci small block swap after i get out of school. i took some measurements, and for it to be a rwd conversion you would have to notch the firewall for the distributor, and you would have 2" clearance from the radiator, so you would need a slim electric fan. but it will fit. everything would have to be custom fabricated, but it is possible.

Slider
11-13-2007, 03:20 AM
It's completely possible, a lot of work and good welding and fabrication skills are required. Check this out to see what's going to be involved LS1 in a Honda Prelude (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1645997&page=1)

METDeath
11-13-2007, 04:25 AM
Wait you're putting in a ford motor, but not the 9" back end? how strange...

Ads28
11-13-2007, 04:47 AM
haha boooo i read threw like that entire thread and the guy doesnt even finish it like wat the hell

bomkey_noy23
11-13-2007, 05:00 AM
i have more than enough fabrication expierience to know what has to be done, i mean, thats not a worry, i have resources to CNC mills, welders and pretty much an entire metals shop, at school we have chopper design where we build a chopper so, i know welding and everything. and i thought about a 9 inch, but then it might be to big i thought, then again, i could be wrong, i dont know, it all depends what i could get my hands on at the time, if i find a deal on a 9 inch, id do that.i figured i would have to notch the firewall, cut the floor and tunnel it bigger, and i was wondering what you guys have for idea's for suspension in the rear for drifting, something stiffer, or if i would have to try and retro fit in a newer mustangs suspension to it. thats where im in a dillema, if i want to try and come up with plans for a 4 link, or to cut something out of another car and retro fit it, or what? and if it does come from another car be it something drift worthy and not sloppy and soft.

burnyd
11-13-2007, 05:32 AM
^^ lol, you wouldnt worry about suspension in the rear at first...... I would first try to atleast get a motor and tranny in there along with a mach up of seeing wether or not you will have to cut the floor pan out.....

ALso what about the stearing you ever thing of that? Just poke around youll see its not the easiest thing in the entire world... and what fab experience do you have?

bomkey_noy23
11-13-2007, 05:37 AM
i welded up the frame on our frame jig, we have a weld tester at our school, basically a massive 35 lb hammer that slams in to 2 1/4" pieces that you weld together and you see whether itll break or not, its kinda fun to watch some kids pieces bust and go flying, and right now my celica's power steering doesnt work anyways, so, i dont think i would bother with power steering and im sure once the engine was in it, i could figure something out for steering, mock up a spot where the ram could sit, or who knows, i think where it is at it might be okay to stay there....not totally sure yet. and i plan on cutting the floor pan not totally out, but quite a bit of the firewall and whatever else out to make tunnels for the motor and trans

Murgatroy
11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I will make an extensive post here in a few days, I need to get my 3 hours of sleep.

Yes it can be done.

No I have not done it, but yes I have worked out a plan for hack halving my Celica and dropping a V8 in it.

It will not be easy, but it won't be absurdly impossible either.

Blue91CelicaGT
11-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I would suggest you plan everything instead of trying to "wing'it", or you WILL end up like that LS1 Prelude guy. I'm not saying it's impossible, but if your going to do it plan everything before you start chopping up your car. It may be me, but it sound like you haven't really taken the time to really think about what you are about to undertake. No offence, just my $0.02

bomkey_noy23
11-13-2007, 05:12 PM
and it totally respect your two cents worth too, i know i need to think through it alot more and come up with plans, and major ones, it was an idea that went through my head and im trying to get more peoples idea's so in case someone else has something to deal with that i havent thought of or something along that idea. im also looking for more idea's so i can come up with a plan that may be totally unique or maybe something that everyone does that i dont know about.

celica91gts
11-13-2007, 10:31 PM
i wish i was rich like you. honestly its going to be a really big hassle but best of luck to you which ever you choose

celica91gts
11-13-2007, 10:32 PM
V8 in a 5th gen celica has been done. It was a AWD celica though, looks like you just got a fwd one. It will be tough but it can be done.

i thought they converted the awd v8 into an fr v8

partyball
11-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Yea that was the guy with the Lexus TT engine right. It was rear wheel drive. But anyways it can be done and has been done. Good luck man

Cavanagh
11-14-2007, 04:02 AM
I wouldnt use a Mustang IRS Rear Suspension if you wanna drift or w/e. Get a solid Axle....Or what about fabbing in a rx7 or 240 rear end?

TheNefariousOne
11-14-2007, 04:16 AM
Wait...you tell him not to use a Mustang IRS, then tell him to use an RX7 or 240 rear which are both IRS. :wtf:

Mr Celica
11-14-2007, 04:34 AM
doesn't the gas tank in the GT get in the way of a drive shaft? isn't that why they moved it to the rear in the alltrac?

honestly, you'd be better off welding the body of a Celica onto a mustang, haha.

V8 rear wheel drive celica is an interesting concept. V8 rw non-alltrac is a different story. just get a supra. i'm sure a 5.0L or a 4.6L would fit nicely in a 88-92 supra..

but to each his own, i guess.

Murgatroy
11-14-2007, 07:47 AM
I am gonna make a nice version of this some day and sticky it.

For the front, you will need some sort of new cradle. Jegs sells a Jegster front end. You can get it made to custom widths. It is in essence a Nova II front subframe. It will include everything you need to put a V8 in a RWD position in the front of your Celica. You will have to make custom mounts, brackets and so forth to mount you fenders, nosepiece and hood. It will come with many different options and hub assemblies/steering boxes.

A new front subframe will cost ~$3000. This is not counting fabrication costs.

For the rear you will need a 4 link or ladder bar set-up. Again, Jegs or Summit can hook you up with a kit for around $3000. This will not include a rear end. You will want a shortened Ford 9". The reason for this is because of how readily available the 9" housing is for many different widths. It is easy to narrow a 9" and many different shops have the know-how.

Add in another $2000 for new sheet metal to fab a floor pan and firewall, some new wheel tubs and a cage and you have a rolling chassis.

This is a rough estimate on cost. You will easily be spending $10k for a rolling chassis.

You will be able to drop any motor/tranny combo you want in there, get a custom driveshaft and go.

This doesn't include the cost to make a new interior. Your stock interior will not work as you will be changing the firewall, transmission tunnel and floor pan.

Here is what you do:

Gut your car. Reinforce the body. Leave the center floor pan for now. Back half the car. And competent racing shop can do this, they will be able to center your rear end and everything. This will also include narrowing the rear. You will want to install a cage that will be integral to the new rear frame and the front subframe. There will be nothing left of the original FWD Celica unibody when you are complete. Once you have the rear complete and a cage installed, remove everything from the floor pan forward, firewall, everything, it will be useless. Extend the cage to include the new subframe, make sure everying is true and centerlined. Place your body back on the new tubeframe chassis and install your choice of motor.

This is as old as the `32 Ford. It has been done and done again, just not with this particular body. The science and technology are the exact same. The options are only limited by your budget and imagination.

If you were to go to a Hot Rod fabrication shop, they would tell you "Yes, we can do it." It would cost you around $50,000 to get it done.

Do it yourself, properly, and upon completion you will have >$25,000 invested in your conversion. First you have to ask yourself, is it worth it? Second, are you willing to go through all that work and finally are you really aware of what you are getting yourself into?

I do intend to do this with my 5th Gen. Not this week, not next year, but eventually I will convert Chaos into a RWD V8 Celica. Yes, I am insane. Yes, I love the car enough to devote that much care and labor into her to create a unique one of a kind machine. No, I never intend to see a return on my investment beyond the smile on my face.

In the end you have to answer to yourself, what is your level of dedication?

mig407
11-20-2007, 10:01 PM
i would say dont do it...but if you insist try finding yourself an alltrac with a blown motor since it already has a tunnel for the drive shaft and a supra rear or rear end internals end might be alot easier to adapt. personally id go with a 2jz or a 1uz...with a r154 tranny...now that would be cool

burnyd
11-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I would just buy a explorer but thats just me!

Cavanagh
11-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Wait...you tell him not to use a Mustang IRS, then tell him to use an RX7 or 240 rear which are both IRS. :wtf:
They are IRS?:slap: my bad.

KamaZer0
12-06-2007, 03:58 AM
had to actually post on this:

i've owned half a dozen or better RX-7's over the years,..great little cars if you can wrap your noodle around a rotory motor.
1st gens were leaf sprung solid axles.
2nd and 3rd's were coilover strut IRS

now as for a v-8 celica, the front and rear suspension from a 2nd gen RX-7 would be a decent way to go in my book,....theyre stout enough to handle mild chevy and ford buildups (300-350 hp), the big advantage to the ford is it sits lower in the cradle and you wont be trying to massage the firewall for a distributor. if done right,..you might even be able to use a v-8 RX-7 conversion kit to bolt the motor and trans in, provided you use the whole front clip. The rear suspension on the 2nd gen rx-7 is also a nifty little unit that uses 4 main rubber mounts and the two upper strut mounts to bolt the entire unit into the car. i've done a 2nd gen suspension transplant into a 1st gen car in the past. While it will make a mess of your garage and driveway, if you can read a tape measure, use a level and degree finder correctly and have some minor skill in mig welding and the gas wrench, back halfing in the 2nd gen rear frame clip into another car is pretty easy.

Off-hand i cant remember the tracking width, preload sag, nor the strut location dimensions, but have been toying with this myself for my 90 celica,..though i want to use a toyota or nissan v-6 or v-8. Might be once the holidays have come and gone and i'm looking at tax time i may get serious towards this idea. if So I'll glady post any relevant info.

ohh, and BTW,...2nd gen RX's can and DO drift sweetly once you can out the rear rubber trailing arm pucks for solid aluminum,...

burnyd
12-06-2007, 04:56 AM
^^ Yes but once again your talking soooooo much fabrication and thinking your going to start a project with X amount of dollars into it blindly like that will quickly turn into 3x that much.. thats good info to know about 1st gen rx7s I was unaware they came with solid rear axle.

VikingJZ
12-06-2007, 05:30 AM
There was a post here a while back with someone fitting an entire Corvette subframe and floor assembly to an older Civic hatchback.

To me, it isn't worth the expense to hack up a perfectly good car for that. Finding a junker with a blown motor, transmission, or other damage is another story, and thus can allow a cheaper car to buy which will in turn allow you to spend more money on the swap project than hunting down a drivable car that one could use on a daily basis.

I think if I had the time, money, and equipment, I'd love to get another red fifth gen coupe and convert it to RWD using the 1UZFE (4.0 V8 found in the Lexus LS400 and SC400). Maybe someday....

Until then, I have a 2JZ.

85gtsblackman
12-06-2007, 08:49 AM
haha i can do this and not cut the floor at all :thefinger

KamaZer0
12-06-2007, 05:05 PM
^^ Yes but once again your talking soooooo much fabrication and thinking your going to start a project with X amount of dollars into it blindly like that will quickly turn into 3x that much...

:bowdown: true,....its not cost effectivre,...but building up a one off car isnt about practicality, its about having something different.
Also true, if you jump into a project like this blindly your gonna end up with an expensive driveway ornament that'll most likely only ever see the road via the back of the wreckage truck on its way to the boneyard.