PDA

View Full Version : vette vs vette

Blackcloud
11-11-2007, 02:03 AM
my neighbor just got his 06 zo6 back from being supercharged.

so my dad drove that and i drove his vette.

i kicked his ass from 70 to about 120 (because he was in the wrong gear) but from 120 to about 140 he whomped me..

that thing is fast as fuck.. and has the kick ass supercharger whine :bigthumbu

T-spoon
11-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Wow, your dad is comfortable driving other peoples' cars at 140? Holy crap. :thumbsdow

Blackcloud
11-11-2007, 03:10 AM
guy told us to do that.. hes a rich ass doctor and loans alot of his stuff out... :shrug:

Mafix
11-11-2007, 03:18 AM
you scare me.

T-spoon
11-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Heh, people with money, go figure :)

jason
11-11-2007, 06:21 AM
wow....I would love a c6 z06 stock...

burnyd
11-11-2007, 02:35 PM
wow....I would love a c6 z06 stock...

x2

Blackcloud
11-11-2007, 05:12 PM
dude.. the pull that car had from 3k to 6k rpms was sick

jason
11-11-2007, 09:32 PM
would it even be able to negotiate a turn with that power though or is it restricted to the straights now?

Blackcloud
11-11-2007, 10:10 PM
umm.. we just drove down the freeway so i cant honestly answer that question.

id be guessing it would do just fine since it is a 6speed.

I know my dad has made my ass pucker when we went driving.. over 100mph through the mountain twisties... its amazing how well the vette hugged the turns

vms4evr
11-11-2007, 11:22 PM
I've been on track in my C5 Z06 with some of the new C6 Z06s. They kick my ass down the straights but aren't a whole faster through the turns. A little bit better under braking. I top out about 143mph down the back straight at my favorite track. The C6 Z06 tops out at about 173mph there.

A supercharged version would require more finesse with the throttle. You could run it in a higher gear to be lazy. Some of the C5s with 383 stroker motors can match the stock C6 Z06 down the straights.

The big problem with supercharging the C5 Z06 or C6 Z06 is overheating. Run one on a road course for a hard 30 minute session and they are hotter than hades, if they even make it for 30 minutes. They need bigger radiator, oil cooler, and vented hood. Fun for drag racing though.

The new ZR1, Blue Devil, SS, whatever they decide to call it for 2009. That's supercharged with an estimated 605hp. I'll be curious to see how GM is going to address the common overheating issues.

T-spoon
11-12-2007, 12:31 AM
The big problem with supercharging the C5 Z06 or C6 Z06 is overheating. Run one on a road course for a hard 30 minute session and they are hotter than hades, if they even make it for 30 minutes. They need bigger radiator, oil cooler, and vented hood. Fun for drag racing though.

This I can really believe 100%. I had occasion to drive my supra at track-like speeds for 20 minutes or so and with a fully functioning cooling system and powerful radiator fans I was overheating. Building a car for endurance is much different than just getting it to fire down a 1/4 mile.

Mafix
11-12-2007, 04:03 AM
would it even be able to negotiate a turn with that power though or is it restricted to the straights now?
i know i'm stuck to straights now. i scared the hell out of myself last night at the mr2 meet. torque steer is an ugly and scary thing (related to fwd unlike the vette)

Blackcloud
11-12-2007, 01:33 PM
im no expert on gas fi so answer me this... does he need to have gauges for his egts on the vette?

i know he has been watching his coolant temps but thats about it

T-spoon
11-12-2007, 05:20 PM
I dunno about /need/, but it's a really good idea to have EGT, and possibly oil pressure if he doesn't already. Is his setup intercooled?

celica91gts
11-12-2007, 10:54 PM
my neighbor just got his 06 zo6 back from being supercharged.

so my dad drove that and i drove his vette.

i kicked his ass from 70 to about 120 (because he was in the wrong gear) but from 120 to about 140 he whomped me..

that thing is fast as fuck.. and has the kick ass supercharger whine :bigthumbu

quite honestly ihate the sound of a supercharger...

T-spoon
11-12-2007, 10:59 PM
quite honestly ihate the sound of a supercharger...

I concur. Turbos sound soooooooooooooooooooooooo much nicer, IMO. I've driven my buddie's SCed 4runner a bunch and that whine gets downright irritating. Obviously not every SC will sound the same, but I haven't heard one yet that didn't whine a bit.

vms4evr
11-13-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm not really up on SC or Turbo Vettes. The ones I have seen do not have EGT gauges. They monitor Boost, Fuel Pressure and A/F ratios. All C5s have the analog gauges for Battery Voltage, Coolant Temp, Oil Pressure. The digital display has the same with the addition of Oil Temperature.

On track I always keep oil temperature in the digital display and eye the coolant temp and oil pressure. Running a 20-30 minutes session the coolant temp will jump to about 225 degrees and the oil can run up to 300 degrees. Once the oil hits 270 you have to watch the pressure to make sure it doesn't start dropping off. That is stock with no SC/Turbo with the stock radiator. I have an external oil cooler I add to control the oil temps and that has been a big improvement.

Anyone building a blower motor in these cars needs to dump money into cooling and not just stuff an SC on it and call it a day. Most of the well built ones are pouring $10K into their setup. For that kind of money I'd send my engine off to Katech and get a bullet proof NA build. It may not make some of the startling numbers that SC/Turbo cars make but it will run all day long without blowing up.

Cavanagh
11-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Anyone building a blower motor in these cars needs to dump money into cooling and not just stuff an SC on it and call it a day. Most of the well built ones are pouring $10K into their setup. For that kind of money I'd send my engine off to Katech and get a bullet proof NA build. It may not make some of the startling numbers that SC/Turbo cars make but it will run all day long without blowing up.
Agreed. I think this is true on most Applications.

I concur. Turbos sound soooooooooooooooooooooooo much nicer, IMO. I've driven my buddie's SCed 4runner a bunch and that whine gets downright irritating. Obviously not every SC will sound the same, but I haven't heard one yet that didn't whine a bit.
Agree again.
I heard a Terminator cobra, and it really sound neat, but even after riding next to him for a few blocks, it started to annoy me. But you can mostly only hear it if your in front of him. But still..... :smokin:

MrWOT
11-13-2007, 04:26 AM
The new ZR1, Blue Devil, SS, whatever they decide to call it for 2009. That's supercharged with an estimated 605hp. I'll be curious to see how GM is going to address the common overheating issues.

I'm more curious as to the cylinder heads if they call it a ZR1....

vms4evr
11-13-2007, 05:06 AM
I'm more curious as to the cylinder heads if they call it a ZR1....

The ZR1 is to follow the namesake. You aren't going to see an LT5 concept from GM. Those motors were so unique. Very cool and awesome design with the help of Lotus. GM killed the whole dual cam, dual cylinder head 32 valve idea when the LSx engine program started. The engineering guys were mandated to design and build in house using the standard small block concept. They went with more exotic materials and concepts to extract more out of that small block. They did it. The LS1 is a nice power plant. The LS6 took it a step further. Then the LS7 just pushed the limit. To get more out of that they have gone to using an SC. They're playing the game with Dodge going after Viper HP without building a V12.

Interesting side note on that new ZR1/SS. I was up at VIR for my last track weekend. It was actually a Sun/Mon event. At the end of the day Monday we see a fleet of tractor trailers pulling in. One of the trucks is the white one with the Corvette Racing logo on it. So a few of us were still there changing wheels and chatting. They start unloading cars. It was all the GM lineup for 2008 and some test mules for 2009. They had a C5 Z06 and C6 Z06 also. A Caddy CTS-V mule all taped up in a checkerboard to kill the shape. They left all those in plain sight. So we wander over to the garages and start being nosy. No one really says anything. Then we wander over to the Corvette Racing truck and start looking in the garage with the door closed. There is ZR1/SS test mule with the bulging hood. Some rather unfriendly guys come over and invite us to leave, now! We see the lead engineer for the Corvette program and go talk to him. He won't talk about the car in the garage but wouldn't deny what we saw either. He was excited about us tracking our Z06s and wanted to hear our comments about what we liked and disliked. Could care less about the aesthetics and all. He'd build a stripped factory racer like the Viper ACR if GM would let him.

Cavanagh
11-13-2007, 05:25 AM
^Thats really cool that you saw that!^

In relation to the SS/ZR1 i really think GM needs to step it up a notch. I mean i know that 605hp is a shit-ton of horsepower, but with the two Ford Cobra Super-Snakes both pushing more than the SS(even though it is still unofficial on what they are using engine wise), i think that would motivate GM to get there power goals really close, if not better than the super-snakes. Just my opinion.

vms4evr
11-14-2007, 12:00 AM
^Thats really cool that you saw that!^

In relation to the SS/ZR1 i really think GM needs to step it up a notch. I mean i know that 605hp is a shit-ton of horsepower, but with the two Ford Cobra Super-Snakes both pushing more than the SS(even though it is still unofficial on what they are using engine wise), i think that would motivate GM to get there power goals really close, if not better than the super-snakes. Just my opinion.

The big 3 are playing the HP game again and that's good for all the hot rodders that drive American cars.

As far as competing with Ford. Competing against the Mustang is only remotely close in a drag race. On a road course or autocross course forget it. Mustangs are straight line cars. They are big fat pigs. Power to weight ratio is what counts.

The Viper is competition. Dodge takes a different approach on those and goes all out. I'm impressed they would sell a car that raw considering most of the public that buys them can't drive to save themselves. The same is happening with the C6 Z06. It is more raw than the C5 Z06 and harder to drive at the limit. Yet some bonehead with more money than brains will buy one of the above, total it, and wonder what was wrong with the car...

T-spoon
11-14-2007, 01:09 AM
The big 3 are playing the HP game again and that's good for all the hot rodders that drive American cars.

As far as competing with Ford. Competing against the Mustang is only remotely close in a drag race. On a road course or autocross course forget it. Mustangs are straight line cars. They are big fat pigs. Power to weight ratio is what counts.

The Viper is competition. Dodge takes a different approach on those and goes all out. I'm impressed they would sell a car that raw considering most of the public that buys them can't drive to save themselves. The same is happening with the C6 Z06. It is more raw than the C5 Z06 and harder to drive at the limit. Yet some bonehead with more money than brains will buy one of the above, total it, and wonder what was wrong with the car...

Heh, oddly enough, this happened when the MKIV supra was released in 93, and I personally think it's part of the reason Toyota backed out a bit from the fun turbo cars. I don't think they wanted their reputation hurt more by cars with excellent performance that require good driving at the limits. It makes people more warm fuzzy about your company if the car is very forgiving and safe.

Mafix
11-14-2007, 02:21 PM
good point

celicaGT90_05
11-14-2007, 02:41 PM
that is part of the reason why a lot of people who just want a good every day car prefer an import because they are concerned about things like safety, fuel economy, and durability, while the big 3 mostly want more power. After realizing the huge popularity of fuel economy and safety, the big 3 started focusing on that but not a whole lot just yet and people are still sketchy about them, but the big 3 are still tryin to live up to their power reputation. Though, there are people who bash imports sayin oh they arent fast, basically all domestics are fast...thing about it is most power bound imports ARE fast, plus handle better taboot, but they dont feem to focus on those cars. What I cant stand is that every known import is rice, it's just simply not true and people dont know what it means anymore. I guess most muscle heads really dont look at what they are bashing on, but domestics really need to pick up the pace because in the big picture they are falling behind, but I must admit they are trying