PDA

View Full Version : ASE tests today

turbo4ag
11-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Im going on my first attempt at an ASE test. Taking two, engine repair, A1, and brakes, A5. On tuesday I will attempt electrical.

Wish me luck.

Soon as I get them, the sooner I will start applying at Toyota dealers. Which means the sooner you guys can share my discount. :bigthumbu

alltracman78
11-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Why didn't you take them this summer online?
You would have your results much faster....

Also, I don't know how it is down there, but up here fall/winter is the slow season, so it's harder to get a job at a dealer....
Harder to make hours too.

celicatrd93
11-08-2007, 10:28 PM
good luck let us know how it turns out.

Hookecho
11-08-2007, 10:54 PM
very cool! i hope you do well. how many questions are on those tests?

turbo4ag
11-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I was going to, but I decided not to yet. I had a small ear canal operation and didn't know if I would get an infection (which I kinda did), so I didn't register. Plus these written test cost less.

The tests are usually 50-40 questions. Then recertification is every 5 years and is only 25 questions.

And yes, winter is slow everywhere for techs. I already have a steady part time job as a shop assistant at the auto school Im in. I decided Im going to start applying at dealerships in February.

Cavanagh
11-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Good luck man, are you planning on eventually getting all 8? I hear there hard. Best of luck.

celicaGT90_05
11-09-2007, 06:32 AM
good luck, hope you pass them. I am gonna take a few more classes before I take any, I'm sure I can pass electronics because I know those systems quite a bit, the rest I'm good at but kinda iffy on if I would pass the classes

turbo4ag
11-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Damn, I think I bombed on the brakes test. I think I passed the engine but those fucking brake system questions were impossible.

Note of advice for anyone attempting ASE tests in the near future:

The tests are 95% diagnosis related.

Most ASE test prep books that give you questions relating to the overall functions, design, and operation. They are completely wrong, and a bad study guide. Unless you know your diagnosis you will NOT pass. I think I squeaked by on the engine repair because I have alot of hands on experience and well understanding of how an engine works, but even still I think I only got about 70% correct 30% wrong. The brakes test was all bullshit about the power brakes system diagnosis, hydraulic brake system diagnosis, and tons of brake pull diagnosis.

Almost every question was along the lines of... "the right front brakes are pulling, and you are getting a hard pedal with a high braking effort" or some bullshit like that. Which the ASE prep booklet didn't go over half of these.

Well atleast this prepared me for my electrical test on tuesday. Now that I know how gay these tests are, I expect them to ask me a million question on the diagnosis of the internals of a starter and internals of an alternator. Im sure they will have little to none of diagnosing a wire diagram. Instead, tons of questions about things you will never do in the field.

celicaGT90_05
11-09-2007, 05:10 PM
good luck with the electronics man, I really dont want to take the ASE tests lol they are pricey as hell, but Im gonna have to

TurboTRDCelica
11-09-2007, 05:36 PM
I have passed all 8 tests being that I am a ASE & Toyota Master Tech I can tell you, you can throw out any study guides, and must rely on experience & common sense. The Electrical for me was the easiest, the hardest by far was the diagnosing drivability test. Because there were many possible solutions to one symptom but you had to determine which was the most likely because you could be right in theory but they are looking for the most likely and experience will make it easier to determine. Good Luck. It's not easy.

I remember a question that was totally retarded it left way too many variables
the question was like the brakes are Fading and there is a soft pedal feel what is the problem I was like WTF kinda question is that, could be a bad master cylinder, a leak, just plain pads down to almost nothing, brakes could be overheating and fading, or the rear shoes are not adjusted.
so basically in my mind the 2 most likely was bad master cylinder or shoes not adjusted Naturally I thought well the master cylinder is probably 90% the problem. But I have driven a car that had the exact same symptoms & when I checked the pads and shoes they had like 60% pads left, even wear, no signs of glazing, and the master cylinder seemed to have pedal feel until you pushed down so far & then would fade, It ended up being that the rear brakes when you pulled the ebrake all the way up wouldn't even contact the drum. I adjusted the brakes and now it had a solid pedal feel and stopped on a dime.
so I answered Rear brakes severly out of adjustment. and I got it right. I guess they consider that to be a more likely problem, I haven't seen that issue ever since.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
11-09-2007, 07:34 PM
good luck on the elec one...im in an automotive technology program right now and all of our hw, tests and quizzes are all ASE questions to prepare us for them and they are def whack and take some getting used to, as to what they are asking....Tech A says this, Tech B says this....tech a only, tech b only, both techs or neither.....soooooooo fun to do!!!...and my favorite is when they throw in those "maybe" or "sometimes"...those always suck....but newho, good luck on the elec test again!!!

celicaGT90_05
11-09-2007, 08:15 PM
some times I hate tech a and tech b, because if you know one for sure but a little iffy on the other, it can completely throw off your answer

turbo4ag
11-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Well Im going to try and go through all the books I have and even borrow one of the instructor's books.

The diagnosis part will definitely need experience to become familiar with the answers. The stupid thing is when you walk in most shops they want you to have atleast two ASEs. And I am not starting out lube, oil & tires. Its just not gonna happen bucko.

Amaymi
11-10-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm a Toyota tech and have no ASE certifications what so ever. I didn't know that they were necessary because I sure as hell didn't have any and don't plan on getting them since I'll only have this job for another 2-3 years to help me pay for school.
The service manager and Master tech had seen my work and were impressed and on top of that I offered to work under the master tech and next senior tech for a week for free. They hired me and kept me under them for another week and now I've got my own bay.
I don't think that so much emphasis should be placed on those tests. I know alot of morons that got high SAT scores and such but are suckin it up in college because they just learned enough for the test and didn't really prepare themselves for college.

celicaGT90_05
11-10-2007, 01:05 AM
ASE are not completely necessary, but they do help you get a job and can increase your pay rate. As for SAT's, I didnt even have to take those tests to get in to college lol

Amaymi
11-10-2007, 01:32 AM
I took my SAT's to try and meet the automatic acceptance requirements for the colleges I was applying to so that all I had to do was pick. With a 1390 and being in the top 20% I met them for most of the colleges I applied to.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
11-10-2007, 05:36 AM
ASE are not completely necessary, but they do help you get a job and can increase your pay rate. As for SAT's, I didnt even have to take those tests to get in to college lol

i took them and got like 960 i believe...and that was like my parents telling me we are signing you up to go take the SAT and me saying ok and just going on that date and not knowing anything about SAT's whatsoever...LoL!!!

although i later found out i really didnt need it after all.... Community College FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

celicaGT90_05
11-10-2007, 05:39 AM
yup mines a community college and I've learned quite a bit...as long as I can get certified I'll be good

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
11-10-2007, 06:12 AM
yup yup, true that....the automotive tech program that i am in right now is one of the top in the nation as a matter of fact...we have gotten a nationally acredited award for being the #1 automotive school 5 times in the last 15 years...and you are only eligible for qualification once every 3 years....you do the math on that one :-)!!!!...but ya its a great program and im learning alot...and its actually fun learning because we learn basics and techniques in the class, then go in the shop and perform them hands on...its great

turbo4ag
11-10-2007, 03:04 PM
ASEs are required if you want to make anything decent out in the field starting, because any of the jobs I see starting over $16/hr require ASEs. And I dont want to work my way up from $11/hr. Especially if you want to cross the brand names. For ex. Two guys walk into a Nissan dealership... A guy who has 5 years automotive experience on Dodge only and no ASEs has a much less chance than a guy with 2 years experience only on GM but is ASE Master certified.

And for those of you who know what the CLAST test is, know that those SAT scores might come back to bite you. I got a 1280 on mine which means I wont have to take the CLAST which I've heard is pretty hard. If your SAT scores were not up to par or you didn't take them at all, you'll likely be forced to take that test, and if you dont pass, you get no degree, even if you have the qualifying GPA and did the 120 credits.

Lagos
11-10-2007, 07:14 PM
how much does it cost to take the ase test? i might try to take it just for fun. it really doesn't sound too hard, as long as you have some hands on experience.

turbo4ag
11-10-2007, 10:00 PM
For all 3 tests it came up to $113 total. Unless your looking for a job in the field, it probably doesn't make sense.

Amaymi
11-10-2007, 11:07 PM
i took them and got like 960 i believe...and that was like my parents telling me we are signing you up to go take the SAT and me saying ok and just going on that date and not knowing anything about SAT's whatsoever...LoL!!!

although i later found out i really didnt need it after all.... Community College FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to get good SAT scores, community college was not an option for me. Its pretty hard to get hired as a Mechanical engineer with a concentration in Aerospace propulsion/aerodynamics with a degree from a community college (if they even offer that). I don't plan on being a tech or mechanic for more than 3 years, for me its a job until I graduate so the $13/hr is fine especially considering that over here the average full time student makes about $6.50/hr.

turbo4ag
11-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Its the same thing for me. Im transfering to a state college next for a Mechanical Engineering (BSME) with automotive concentration. But I am able to complete many of the required classes here at the community college. As a matter of fact when I graduate this coming spring I will have 72 credits towards the 120 instead of just 60.

And I want to have hands on experience in the field and become master certified just so I know all the ins and outs of a car so I will beable to design systems better because I know what fails and what doesn't. I want to work as a tech for the next 5 years, then get an engineering job. But thats the main reason I dont want to start out as a lube tech, I wont get the experience needed. I know a couple of guys who say they've been stuck their for over 6 months already, and the service manager keeps pushing them off to start as a tech. And I already have a decent job at my school which gets me $10/hr. Am I really going to go thru the motions and start as a lubie for the same amount?

turbo4ag
11-14-2007, 01:40 AM
Breezed thru the electrical. Im 99% sure I passed it.

Its so stupid how lopsided these tests are. And to think electrical is what I thought was my weakest area.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
11-15-2007, 03:01 AM
I had to get good SAT scores, community college was not an option for me. Its pretty hard to get hired as a Mechanical engineer with a concentration in Aerospace propulsion/aerodynamics with a degree from a community college (if they even offer that). I don't plan on being a tech or mechanic for more than 3 years, for me its a job until I graduate so the $13/hr is fine especially considering that over here the average full time student makes about $6.50/hr.

well, at first i was using comm college as a transfer option cuz i had already talked to the engineering president here at University of Florida and he told me to do the SFCC route and transfer to UF and i would be fine so i did it that way cuz it is cheaper, sometimes easier, and you get more personal help from the teacher in a one on one surrounding type thing, and you are getting the same credits as i would be at a university so i decided to take that route.....long story short i ended up dropping engineering and got into the auto technology program which is top notch so hopefully that will take me somewhere that i wanna be...even tho im still not 100% sure what i wanna do for a career but we will see how it works out...i think im going down the right road...