PDA

View Full Version : GT-Four question in Turbo Magazine

90CelicaST
11-07-2007, 07:19 PM
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/1213/turbotc1.png (http://imageshack.us)
Meh

extremeskillz
11-07-2007, 07:30 PM
You should email them and give them a link to this site.

burnyd
11-07-2007, 07:38 PM
You should email them and give them a link to this site.

well its the truth.

Not alot of alltracs running around in the us.

extremeskillz
11-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I agree with the article as there is not many around the US but pointing them here would connect them with a few.

Mafix
11-07-2007, 07:56 PM
a better pointer would be alltrac.net

Newbster
11-07-2007, 08:00 PM
a better pointer would be alltrac.net

QFT!!!!!!!!

donteatbugs
11-07-2007, 08:06 PM
they featrure rare cars like the evo 7 that wernt even avalible in the us....so why not the alltrac?

Newbster
11-07-2007, 08:15 PM
The alltrac is over 14 years old.

andy
11-07-2007, 09:55 PM
and so are all those awesome Z cars you see all the time on the front. The time of production has nothing to do with it.

turbo4ag
11-07-2007, 10:49 PM
First step would be to make a Turbo magazine worthy Alltrac.

Nobody wants to see a rusty rocker panelled, oil blowing stock turbo, cheeto-stained ripped driver seated, 14 year old Alltrac with under 300 to the wheels that runs 15s. Anyone can click on any of you guy's gallery to see that.
:lolhittin

BTW, dont ask who Im describing. :laugh: The REAL truth is most Celica Alltracs are pretty stock. And if they are fully built, they are likely built for circuit or rally which means they are not top notch eye catching magazine material.

Mr E
11-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Meh. I care what a US niche magazine thinks?

T-spoon
11-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Meh. I care what a US niche magazine thinks?

Bahahahahah, spoken like a true Brit ;) No insult intended there, just an observation. :USA:

The Captain
11-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Hmmm. Maybe I'll set some pics....

Luni
11-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah dude, if anyone has a chance getting in there you do John.

Ajilon
11-08-2007, 01:36 AM
meh I don't know. his isn't a real GT Four though. I doubt they'd consider it. Without a complete RC swap it's not the real McCoy, it's a decoy.

Play has a good chance I think.

Mafix
11-08-2007, 02:11 AM
i happen to like the fact that we are a small unknown community.

Mr Celica
11-08-2007, 02:15 AM
^ yea its more personal that way, it seems you're able to actually see how smart someone actually is here, so you know you're not getting bullshitted on something you ask.

plus, only the cool kids hang out here... besides me. :(

Murgatroy
11-08-2007, 08:27 AM
They say things like that in the hopes that one of the owners of an awesome ST185 will read it and say 'Hey, they are wrong!' and send in pics.

It is all a ploy. I have no doubt that they will receive a few submissions, and in a few months time, we will see an ST185 in their mag.

Not that I really bother reading about the over-done trailer queens they feature in car magazines anyways. Grassroots is about the only real car mag worth reading.

Luni
11-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Sorry Gina, His may not be a true GT4RC, it is the cleanest alltrac I have ever seen in the states.

He has a much better chance than Play.

Plays car is clean, but it isnt near as clean as Johns. Not even close.

Borinal
11-09-2007, 12:57 AM
It's definitely clean looking. I haven't seen it so I don't know to what degree, like replaced seals and rubber and all of the little shit. But the paint/body looks nice and clean. I hear the interior is pretty clean too like new carpet and shit. Definitely not and RC, but nice. Kinda the opposite of all of us that have invested in mechanics, his is in 'good shape' and 'looks nice'

The Captain
11-09-2007, 04:39 AM
It's definitely clean looking. I haven't seen it so I don't know to what degree, like replaced seals and rubber and all of the little shit. But the paint/body looks nice and clean. I hear the interior is pretty clean too like new carpet and shit. Definitely not and RC, but nice. Kinda the opposite of all of us that have invested in mechanics, his is in 'good shape' and 'looks nice'

Tough room! :eek: No, it's not a "real" GT4RC. It was/is an Alltrac, and proud of it. It's not THAT far off is it? :( . The first time I saw another Celica with that RC hood/bumper I was in love and began this quest. Hell, I sold my Supra Turbo when I found this car. No, I'm not looking for Ultimate Performance. I'm looking for an optimized car that is the best it can be without going overboard or detracting reliability.

Investment in mechanics? How about JUST the performance stuff: CT20b, welded/port matched TVIS, custom cold air intake, 12lb chromoly flywheel, CM stg 1 clutch, braided clutch line, new/updated sychros, TWM short thro shifter, billet recirc valve, adj. fuel cut-off kit, 3" SS turbo back exhaust (mandrel bent custom with Random Tech cat), downpipe wrap, ceramic coated exhaust manifold, wideband O2/EGT/ boost gauges, polyurethane motor mounts, Blitz type R boost controller, TRD wires, Iridium plugs, TEIN coilovers, Whiteline Adj. swaybar, Brembo rotors, battery relocation, proper WTA chargecooler (which I jumped a flight to the UK to get) with ST205 heat exchanger.

This doesn't include the complete new genuine Toyota gaskets, hoses and belts. Powder coating, ceramic coated heat shields, Greddy catch can, JDM charcoal canister(smaller than US for more under hood room!) and the rest of the other small details of the $10K I've spent on this restoration. All the work of which I've done myself in my own garage.

I chose not to go the aftermarket ECU, the bigger injectors, the bigger fuel rail, the huge turbo, the grabby stage 3 clutch and all the other stuff that makes the car difficult to drive in anything but a straight line. Ask Luni, it's not the money.

I just wanted a car for me and everyone else to enjoy. I'm flattered by all the compliments I get and I'm humbled by the appreciation. It's nice to have vindication for ones work. I appreciate other folks hard work too, as well as their criticism. Everybody's idea of the perfect car is different. I'm older than most of the folks here(in some cases a lot! :( ). I know most people here can't afford to do what I did but who cares? It's not what you've got, it's how much you love what you've got that matters. That's what makes Celicatech. :bigthumbu

If you folks would like me to submit the car and represent Celicatech, I'd be flattered. If you want someone else to, I'm behind that too. Heck, somebody should for the sake of the Celica. It would be nice to see Sport Compact or Modified without a freakin' Honda/Acura with a Type R sticker on the cover! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Celicas (and their brother the MR2) rule.

MrWOT
11-09-2007, 04:43 AM
It would NEVER work! No respectible magazine would show a car with a *gasp* aftermarket body kit! :hehe:

Do it :)

Shadowlife25
11-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Tough room! :eek: No, it's not a "real" GT4RC. It was/is an Alltrac, and proud of it. It's not THAT far off is it? :( . The first time I saw another Celica with that RC hood/bumper I was in love and began this quest. Hell, I sold my Supra Turbo when I found this car. No, I'm not looking for Ultimate Performance. I'm looking for an optimized car that is the best it can be without going overboard or detracting reliability.

Investment in mechanics? How about JUST the performance stuff: CT20b, welded/port matched TVIS, custom cold air intake, 12lb chromoly flywheel, CM stg 1 clutch, braided clutch line, new/updated sychros, TWM short thro shifter, billet recirc valve, adj. fuel cut-off kit, 3" SS turbo back exhaust (mandrel bent custom with Random Tech cat), downpipe wrap, ceramic coated exhaust manifold, wideband O2/EGT/ boost gauges, polyurethane motor mounts, Blitz type R boost controller, TRD wires, Iridium plugs, TEIN coilovers, Whiteline Adj. swaybar, Brembo rotors, battery relocation, proper WTA chargecooler (which I jumped a flight to the UK to get) with ST205 heat exchanger.

This doesn't include the complete new genuine Toyota gaskets, hoses and belts. Powder coating, ceramic coated heat shields, Greddy catch can, JDM charcoal canister(smaller than US for more under hood room!) and the rest of the other small details of the $10K I've spent on this restoration. All the work of which I've done myself in my own garage.

I chose not to go the aftermarket ECU, the bigger injectors, the bigger fuel rail, the huge turbo, the grabby stage 3 clutch and all the other stuff that makes the car difficult to drive in anything but a straight line. Ask Luni, it's not the money.

I just wanted a car for me and everyone else to enjoy. I'm flattered by all the compliments I get and I'm humbled by the appreciation. It's nice to have vindication for ones work. I appreciate other folks hard work too, as well as their criticism. Everybody's idea of the perfect car is different. I'm older than most of the folks here(in some cases a lot! :( ). I know most people here can't afford to do what I did but who cares? It's not what you've got, it's how much you love what you've got that matters. That's what makes Celicatech. :bigthumbu

If you folks would like me to submit the car and represent Celicatech, I'd be flattered. If you want someone else to, I'm behind that too. Heck, somebody should for the sake of the Celica. It would be nice to see Sport Compact or Modified without a freakin' Honda/Acura with a Type R sticker on the cover! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DO IT !!!

Murgatroy
11-09-2007, 11:30 AM
John, please, do the honor of entering your car. Of any car I have seen in person since I got into Celicas shows the ST185 gen for what it is and can be. I spotted this car from a mile a way, I knew he was one of us the first time I met him. I am sure the car is capable too. I have no doubt he would have pushed me if it hadn't been a pleasure cruise.

I would love to see a Celica from our community in a major publication. After reading some of them, I think it would be a shame if they wouldn't feature the car. So what if it is a Clone. I say it is inspired by the RC and it is fair to compare it since we didn't happen to get that car stateside.

If you do get published, will you give CelicaTech a shout out? :hehe:

Blue91CelicaGT
11-09-2007, 02:19 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again...You have the dam near cleanest, best looking(IMHO) 5th Gen out there. If any car was going to represent for us all I hope its yours.
I for one consider your car a true RC, hell I prefer the LHD.

Mr E
11-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Bahahahahah, spoken like a true Brit ;) No insult intended there, just an observation. :USA:

:sneak: :bigthumbu

squall leonhart
11-11-2007, 04:10 PM
what about pat? why would his not be magazine worthy?? last i saw it looked great, and well...we all know he's in the 10's, so it should be fast enough.

:/

smog7
11-12-2007, 08:00 AM
alltrac owners are quiet... that and beacuse most alltracs arent in the best of shape is the reason why they are never seen in magazines. Though, it would be awesome to see an st185 featured is sccm.

mannygtfour
11-13-2007, 07:56 PM
hell yea who reallie cares that its not a real gt4rc it still the same dam car . seeing car like that is inspidering people like myself to make a looking celica . and im sick of seeing houndas & integra on magz. hope someone will summit there celicas in car magz. it be cool to finaly to see a st185 in it.

extremeskillz
11-13-2007, 08:00 PM

That how i feel and you should do it.

Playfortoday
11-13-2007, 09:19 PM
If we kept our hoods closed and put on fancy 17's, I think I would give John's car a run for the money if the competition was for the cleanest daily-driver/street specimens of the 185. I have done almost everything he has had done on his list, plus a buch more. (I will not eliminate or port TVIS until I need to due to running to much HP fo it. Believe it or not, it works well for a CT26/CT20b power-wise.)

I don't trailer my car and I driver it year round, so I never detail the under-hood, especially with adding polished aluminum and powder coated parts. They's get ruined fast in a single Midwestern Winter. And any hosing I buy is always colored black (word up, Joe). I like stock-colored black hosing, and I use black split loom on any wires exposed except for the 0ga.

I am a no show guy accept for keeping the body clean and shiny and stock-looking. (Maybe I'll do the CS hood and bumper some day, maybe not. It depends on if I am ever forced into having to buy an FMIC due to HP requirements. The GT28RS is calling and my ARC TMIC will do plenty good enough with water injection.) I have 100% stock interior and carpet and it looks as close to new as you can get after a simple vacuum. The original mats are wearing thin, but they still look nice after a shampoo. Also, there in not a single hole cut in my dash anywhere, and the battery is relocated to the trunk with the 0ga going under the carpet.

I have more performance mods as boh cars sit presently, and the only mods I have left are what should always come last in any good build based on a specific HP goal... I need a gt28rs, a fpr, injectors, cams, and standalone. I have a very small fiberglass crack to clear up on the rear quarter and some rock chips to fill on the front lower fenders. Anyway, I'd put my 185 against the John's GT4 replica via photographs until my imperfections are taken care of, and after that in person for cleanest 185 that resides on ctech. But as for tricked out showy mods, I will lose hands down. But John can't say he drove his 185 1500 miles in 2.5 days, and he can't say he picked up his kids from daycare and school everyday in his either. :hehe:

I think where I would lose no matter how much I didto the appearance is via having metallic teal colored paint. But as far as the cleanest stock representation of the all-trac (USDM) with a motor built for lots more ponies, I think I can hang and maybe win.

This isn't an e-peen thing either. I like John after meeting him, so this is not personal, and his car was absolutely gorgeous to the point that I was stunned.

PS: When in pictures, people blew loads over my red 92 all-trac with the white volk wheels, but when seen in person, it was slowly dying... pink paint without heavy wax coats applied, rusted wheel wells in the rear, it had spider-webbed clear coat on the hood, torn leather driver's seat, and was all stock except for a boost controller and catback, and a triple pod with gauges.

The Captain
11-13-2007, 10:22 PM
I say we put 'em both in!!!

Kids? From daycare? In my car?!?!?

NEVER!! :lolhittin :lolhittin :lolhittin

You got me there!

You coming to the Dragon next year?

Playfortoday
11-14-2007, 03:28 PM
I say we put 'em both in!!!

Kids? From daycare? In my car?!?!?

NEVER!! :lolhittin :lolhittin :lolhittin

You got me there!

You coming to the Dragon next year?

The joy of fatherhood. :smokin:

And for the dragon, absolutely my friend, absolutely. I wouldn't miss another look at your black beauty. Of course, the stipulation being that I get to drive it. :bigthumbu

Luni
11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Ill go if I get to drive it.

John, did you get those constant tension clamps and get them installed?

The Captain
11-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Yes, Luni and Play. Only you two can drive it, however I may be pointing something at you for insurance! :bigthumbu

Luni, if you fly into ATL and drive up with me I can show you a LOT of fun roads along the way. Clamps arrived safely, soon to be installed. I'm hoping to have my new wheels and tires by then. I'm looking at the Enkie RPF1's in 17X8 with Toyo R888 tires!! Mileage? I don't need no stinking mileage!

Trance4c
11-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Its not that they haven't had opportunity to photo nice celica's... a loads are abound, much nicer than mine.. but there still hasn't been even much word about FWD 3S-GTE swaps, granted even Alltracs.. which for all intents and purposes it teh badass. While GT4RC has a nice sample, an pointed out a conversion.. I don't think that should matter. A nice car is a nice car.. Play's, Lago's, ChrisD, Pressure2 (now were even talking 5S turbo.. wowa.. anyone remember back in the day talk of the Burien kit?) and Luni's even which hits into the MR2 market.

Sadly.. they are rare, we are rare people. No numbers like civics.. but maybe evo's, yet we see a decent number of evo's but imagine how they will dwindle in representation. Every car does the same, life cycle.. most popular when they first come out.. which.. the Celica is not. Lets face it. The GT4 some, lots of love out there for it but it is a VERY small community. Even now, with celicatech, alltrac.net (as frozen in time as ever) and other sites out there it is on a scale so much smaller. No doubt as full as life as any, but these are old cars and they are not getting newer. Some of us throwing way to much money at these cars, lets be honest, but its still great to have, it becomes more and more a question of what kind of condition your car is in underneath the body. Years are adding on, its forgotten (for the most part.. *cough* GT4).

Still, for the many, it is still a great car, in good condition, and making decent power numbers to boot! So there is no reason why they can not feature a good number of you all's cars together, why can't the magazine's get interested in seeing some of them get together to put some pics in, is.. I dunno..

where is the love? Poor Celica...

Might be what makes it worth having though, it is not something you see ever day. The alltrac is dated but worth having, and our bastard child swap is not really a good 'sports' car setup, but no less lots of fun. Its unfortunate that communities can't get together and make it happen.. I've tried, not with Turbo but Super Street. I was to shoot with them 3 times in Daytona, after they failed to come through on arriving in town. After blowing it 3 times in Daytona they asked me to go to Miami.. I said na. I'm not driving 6 hours my own dime, maybe this is something worth keeping out of the 'popularity' mags.

besides, its all market driven.

nyana107
11-15-2007, 04:42 AM
nicely put trance... not much else to say after that...
also glad you kept the celi instead of selling it....

Playfortoday
11-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Great Post Clay.

Luni
11-15-2007, 06:24 PM
John, are you actually going to DRIVE Your car to the dragon or are you gonna be a panty waist and tow it there? :p

Me0w

The Captain
11-16-2007, 02:54 AM
^^^OUCH!!!! Tough room! I was wondering when someone was going to give me sh*t about that. I'm surprised it took this long. That was the first time I towed it anywhere. After doing it with a car trailer without brakes, I won't be doing it again any time soon.

WHEN you show up in ATL, we'll drive her up.

donteatbugs
11-16-2007, 04:47 AM
ill drive up to atl and we can roll alltracs together....forever...in harmony...till mine breaks again