PDA

View Full Version : FAST IDLE..now that it is cooling off?

jgcox6
11-07-2007, 04:24 PM
92 celica stx- since the cooler temps...my idle has raised up to like almost 2k..eventually it will come back down to about 900...but about how long should it take to "warm-up"? I am thinking I might have something sticking..

Slider
11-07-2007, 04:42 PM
That's normal as long as it's back to regular once your engine gets to normal operating temps it's fine. When the temp gauge is at the mid way point is it still at 2000? Mine doesn't take more than 10 minutes to get up to normal temp.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
11-07-2007, 05:20 PM
ya i noticed my st do that just the other day when it was the first day of real coldness here in FLA but it went back down after it warmed up so hopefully yours will or does too...

VikingJZ
11-07-2007, 06:37 PM
When it is cold, let your car warm up for about 15 minutes, or drive slowly for a few minutes to bring it up to good idle and warm temperature.

NEVER JUMP IN YOUR CAR AND TAKE OFF AS YOU WOULD IN WARM WEATHER.

Slider
11-08-2007, 01:46 AM
When it's below freezing you want to give the car at least 2 minutes to warm up. When it's warm outside, a 10 second warm up is just fine. Just take it easy until it's warmed up. Personally, I won't say a 15 minute warm up is good for your car when it's sucking fuel because it's running rich on startup or the carbon deposits you get from it idling there. But sometimes it beats freezing your ass off.

TheNefariousOne
11-08-2007, 05:16 AM
When it is cold, let your car warm up for about 15 minutes, or drive slowly for a few minutes to bring it up to good idle and warm temperature.

NEVER JUMP IN YOUR CAR AND TAKE OFF AS YOU WOULD IN WARM WEATHER.

15 minutes it way overkill. Give it 30 seconds - 1 minute, and drive sanely until the car is up to operating temperature. This applies in any weather IMO.