PDA

View Full Version : st185 wheel lug torque

wizzards581
11-06-2007, 01:16 AM
im still searching. maybe someone with a haynes or something. i still looking around the bgb. someone help me.

Mafix
11-06-2007, 01:34 AM
spacers or stock?

alltracman78
11-06-2007, 01:52 AM
72 lb/ft for stock wheels/lugs.
Pretty generic for Toyota.

I tighten my white wheels to 74 lb/ft.

Pretty broad, as long as it's tight enough.

celicaGT90_05
11-06-2007, 02:13 AM
I've found my lugs on the celica to be well over that, I usually do about 100 for good messure on all my vehicles if I dont know for sure. It doesnt really matter as long as they are on there good and snug and you dont do it so hard that they twist off

Sean
11-06-2007, 03:11 AM
I've found my lugs on the celica to be well over that, I usually do about 100 for good messure on all my vehicles if I dont know for sure. It doesnt really matter as long as they are on there good and snug and you dont do it so hard that they twist off
Sounds like a wonderful way to strip a stud/lug nut.

72lbs is the reccomendation. A torque wrench is not the most accurate tool in your box, but it is precise. Its important that the lug nuts have equal torque amongst them, always tighten in a cross pattern, etc.

Newbster
11-06-2007, 03:22 AM
I use hand cross wrench. I just tighten as much as I possible can with my arms.

Sean
11-06-2007, 03:27 AM

lol, that is also, NOT a good way.

celicaGT90_05
11-06-2007, 03:29 AM
Sounds like a wonderful way to strip a stud/lug nut.

72lbs is the reccomendation. A torque wrench is not the most accurate tool in your box, but it is precise. Its important that the lug nuts have equal torque amongst them, always tighten in a cross pattern, etc.

well yeah I know that stuff haha which is a good thing to know, but most places also dont do consitency. As I said most of my lugs were on there were way over what they should be, but I know 100 is not gonna strip the stud or nut unless it's just that cheaply made, plus, I dont think my torque wrench is precise right now, so I give it a little extra for safe messure. I've not heard of torque being that low before though....

wizzards581
11-06-2007, 05:15 PM
within 5-6k miles rotors warp like crazy so i did an alignment, replace wheel bearings, hub, etc. was told not to over tighten wheel lug nuts. maybe im overtightening.

alltracman78
11-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Were they warped on the hat or the braking surface?
If you brake hard and heat up the rotor then let it sit the pad holds the heat longer in the spot it covers.

Too tight can cause a rotor to warp, but it's unlikely.

KoreanJoey
11-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Also don't set your parking brake after hard hard braking.

IE: I set mine to 80ft/lbs w/ the torque wrench. Although I'm lazy sometimes and just use a 75ft/lbs torque stick (measured it a couple weeks ago and it set to 77ft/lbs all the way around). ***NOTE: Torque sticks do wear out and will overtighten over time so it's important to double check them regularly.

celicaGT90_05
11-08-2007, 05:05 PM
If you brake hard and heat up the rotor then let it sit the pad holds the heat longer in the spot it covers.

Yeah, when I torque my wheels I torque them to 50 pounds first to make sure the wheel is set right and then torque the rest of the way, helps prevent rotor warpage

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
11-08-2007, 08:11 PM

LoL ya def not good way to do it...70 or so ft/lbs is not very much at all...you would be surprised...

wizzards581
11-08-2007, 08:12 PM

i dont get what u mean by hat and brake surface.

celicaGT90_05
11-08-2007, 08:46 PM
what he means is on the back disc's they are known as hat brake rotors when they have a drum inside the rotor, the inner part is a drum brake because it is easier to set up an e-brake with that system, and the rest is the rotor. I think he's asking is the drum section warped or the rotor part?