PDA

View Full Version : Stupid place to ask this question...

turbo4ag
11-05-2007, 10:51 PM
I know this is Celicatech so I shouldn't be asking this question here because so many people are loyal to this model, and enjoy the styling, etc.. But I also know alot of people are into, or own other Toyota models.

But which one you think is a better car overall an AE86 GTS or ST182 Celica?

Im mainly asking about these three areas: performance potential, handling, styling.

I have a deal in the works where Im 90% sure Im going to be trading a friend of mine, my 89 AE92 turbo GTS for an 86 AE86 GTS. The AE86 was my first car, so Im partial to it, but the 5th gen Celica is the car I've always wanted from a styling standpoint. When I get the car I just dont know if Im going to part with it in hopes to get the Celica GT I've always wanted or I will stay with it.

burnyd
11-05-2007, 10:58 PM
what are you building the car for? I would be all over rwd lightweight car.

turbo4ag
11-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I was too. I wanted a Celica as my first car ever since I had experience with them.

But my dad talked me into an 87 AE86. As soon as I drove it the first time, I was hooked. I always wanted the 86 again after I crashed my first car. I got the AE92 shortly afterwards inbetween had an AE101, but its just not the same even though its about 4 times as fast as the 86.

But I dont know why, but in the last few months I just got obsessed with the Celicas again. I know it has more performance potential, and better handling potential.

I mainly use cars for straight away drag racing. But if I had the RWD drive again, Im likely to get into some circuit and just for fun drift it once in a while. I should maybe try and do both. :laugh:

Cavanagh
11-05-2007, 11:58 PM
86, but there kinda, how do i put it....sllooowww.

burnyd
11-06-2007, 12:45 AM
I drove a stock ae86.... lol I really cant say I was impressed... but it also had 190k on it with a stock suspension that was extremely soft.

I once road in a 20v silvertop ae86 that had a totally built suspension... to drift that thing it had to me clutch kicked at 8k lol.... was pretty funny.

But I would honestly favor the ae86, it sure is ugly but a better platform.

Shadowlife25
11-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Only slow from a drag standpoint. The beauty of that car is in the handling. The AE86 is definitely a car that teaches the driver to hone their skills, as it can be VERY unforgiving if you beat on it and don't have the experience to back it up.

Togue FTW!

turbo4ag
11-06-2007, 01:08 AM
With a body kit it looks pretty damn good. The Celica in stock trim doesn't look too hot either. But with that RC bumper and an aeromagic lip, it looks pretty hot.

I know I will like the 86 in the long run. But for comfort and styling, and performance potential. the 5th gen really has few rivals.

andy
11-06-2007, 01:13 AM
own both! I LOVE my 86 I will NEVER get rid of it. seriously i love the damn thing, like one would love a family member. My celica I also love, but if i smashed it i would be more worried about my 3sgte. If i had to choose stock for stock I would snatch up a ae86 while there are still afew around for cheap. you can always pick up a celica later on. the price is gonna come down more for the celica and go up for the 86.

turbo4ag
11-06-2007, 01:24 AM
Thats what I was thinking.

I will try to hold onto that GTS once I get it. Maybe save for a DD Celica in the mean while. The AE86 will always hold a special place in my heart. And I know once I get this one, it will bring back the great memories I've had.

That car just has an old skool swagger that is unmatched. EMBRACE THE BOXY!!!

Mr Celica
11-06-2007, 01:28 AM
i am currently looking for an 85-87 corolla gts or sr5 to build and do some autox with. i want a small RWD platform that you can modify the hell out of.

andy
11-06-2007, 06:12 AM
welcome to ae86. a breed of owners, a cult. Once your in youll never completly leave it. Youll be ae86 till you die.

celica91gts
11-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Only slow from a drag standpoint. The beauty of that car is in the handling. The AE86 is definitely a car that teaches the driver to hone their skills, as it can be VERY unforgiving if you beat on it and don't have the experience to back it up.

Togue FTW!

u sound like bunta from initial d. lol