PDA

View Full Version : st 182 s53 tranny/gearbox

tripod23
11-02-2007, 05:40 PM
hi guys iv just been given a price for toyota dealership to replace all 5 syncro rings in my gearbox . the dealership are very good from past experience and i do trust them and they know me.....i have been told there was a known problem with the box jumping out of 5th gear which i have heard about before.so my question is this would you have the 5th gear done while you were having the syncros done or not bother because all i can say is that iv had the car 3 and a half years with no problem and they tell me that the 5th gear can be done by removing the end cover with the box still in the car .so if we do the syncros and say 6 or 12 months down the line it starts jumpin out of 5th its not a big deal.but iv got to say im not sure what to do will you guys give me your opinion on this matter ..................... cheers guys iv tried oil changes time after time the notchy feel is still there this is the final move for me.

alltracman78
11-03-2007, 08:00 PM
5th gear can be done alone.
However the trans usually has to be lowered slightly on that end.

If you're definitely doing the other 4 synchros, you might as well do 5th. It has to come apart and get reinstalled anyways.

If 5th is the only known problem [and your other synchros are ok], only do 5th.

Is it notchy in ALL gears?
Or just some?

It's highly unlikely all 5 synchros are bad, though it is possible.
If you are having a problem in all gears, look at the shifter cables, bushings and clutch before you assume all 5 are bad.

tripod23
11-04-2007, 02:38 AM
Cheers For That 1st 2nd 3rd Are Notchy 4th And 5th Are Ok Its Got A New Clutch And Flyweel And Iv Changed The Oil Many Times With Different Types Of Oil .they Are Saying It Maybe Worth Doing The Gear Itself On 5th Because Some Boxes Had A Problem Jumping Out Of 5th Gear When Driving. Mine Does Not Jump Out Of 5th But Will It All Be Disturbed When Its Stripped And Then Cause Me Problems Down The Line. Whats Your View On This Alltrac Man Any More Advice Would Be Great Many Thanks Simon