PDA

View Full Version : scary engine noises

Jaemus
02-16-2005, 06:21 AM
hey guys

i wondered if someone could help me with a problem im having with the GT4 (gen3 3sgte)

i noticed yesterday afternoon that it was making some uncharacteristic ticking/rattling type noises as i drove home - faint, but loud enough to hear from the cabin, and only under load at low rpms.

just now, i went out and started it up, and at low revs, as i play with the throttle, it is making a noise that sounds like if you were to tap the bottom of an empty tin with a key - it makes this sound just over 1k rpm (so not at idle) and it gets higher pitched and more frequent as engine rpm's increase. its scaring me and i dont want to drive it till i figure out whats going on (for fear of making it worse).

i cant quite identify where the sound is coming from - but it seems to be anywhere around the top of the motor.

any ideas? if you need more info ill do what i can.

PS. i tried to make a sound file with my camera, but the noise which is clearly audible over the background to my ears, gets drowned out completely on the camera. *shrug

Jaemus
02-16-2005, 10:03 AM
well i got brave enough to take it for a drive

it dissapears sorta at higher rpms like 4-5k (and below 1k rpm)
the performance symptoms it is showing is the same problem i had before (missing, surging, pulling back) but MUCH worse - i was hoping was an ignition problem which i havent had time to fix yet

no check engine light, but i will pull the codes (there was a 23 and a 41 in there before from god knows how long ago)
cant see any smoke from where i sit (i did try) but the fumes smell much worse at idle.

at the end of the drive the ticking noise went away ALMOST completely - but the performance remained terrible.

AJz
02-16-2005, 12:57 PM
does it sound like its coming from the top of the block, mine was doing that too the other day, but it was doing it at idle, and wud get faster as the rpms got up, can only hear it with the bonnet up tho, was listening 2day, seems to have gone, *shrugs*, dunno wat it was, hopefully not one of the valves hitting a piston, thats wat it sounded like, lol...........

.............hmmm that mite be expensive, note to self: check car 2mrw for dodgy sound, before and after a long drive.

Punisher
02-16-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't even have to read all of this to tell you that you are hearing pinging.. you gotta roll your ignition timing back.. something has gone wrong...

You won't get any valves hitting any pistons because toyota makes non-interference engines.. so that won't happen.

Something is wrong, if you haven't fooled with advancing your ignition timing and all of a sudden you are getting pinging it probably means that either you aren't getting enough fuel.. or since you guys are running the 3SGTE, possibly the blow-off valve isn't working right and more boost is getting by than should be.. but I can't really speak for that one.. something is definitly wrong..

Jaemus
02-17-2005, 02:21 AM
im fairly certain the gen 3 3SGTE doesnt have adjustable ignition timing
also i havent fooled with it

so should check the fuel filter, injectors, etc?

Dr.Auto
02-17-2005, 04:37 AM
You aren't hearing some rod bearing noise are you?

85gtsblackman
02-17-2005, 04:46 AM
:with dr evil:

that exactly sounds like my motor right when it started having rod knock

would do it from 1-2k and faintly trail off, till the last 2 months of it

take a stethascope to the engine

or

your timing is off

or

valves are out of adjustment

Jaemus
02-17-2005, 10:03 AM
hmm no i dont think thats it
its not a knocking so much as a very high pitched ticking

it seems to have gone right away today - but terrible performance remains. now have some sockets so i can finally get around to inspecting the plugs (once i get the IC out of the way)

lloydjv
02-21-2005, 07:35 PM
hmm no i dont think thats it
its not a knocking so much as a very high pitched ticking

it seems to have gone right away today - but terrible performance remains. now have some sockets so i can finally get around to inspecting the plugs (once i get the IC out of the way)
Same thing was happening on my 91GT. It sounded like it was coming from low in the timing case. I replaced the belt, pulleys and tensioner. I ended up tearing into it 8 times before I found out it was the crankshaft timing belt pulley. It had wallowed out it's keyway notch about 1/8" causing that noise at low RPM's. Replaced pulley, problem fixed.

Jaemus
02-22-2005, 07:02 AM
cranshaft t/belt pulley, ill have that checked by someone - no way im gonna screw around with that hehe :)

Lagos
02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
take it to a shop and see if they can diagnose the problem for you for free and give you an estimate.

i had a noise similar to that, and it turned out to be my throw out bearing and clutch.

Apostle
03-10-2005, 03:09 AM
I have the same problem guys! need help. Today I was driving and while at low rpms 1000-2000, I hear some screeching noise that goes in a motion, maybe 2 screeches a second, i cant explain the sound, but they are usually on lemon cars. At first i thought maybe it was suspension related, but i stopped the car and revved, and thats when i knew it came from the engine. Maybe something is wrong with the gears or timing belt problem? I just replaced my ignition coil couple days ago, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Apostle
03-11-2005, 02:26 AM
I have the same problem guys! need help. Today I was driving and while at low rpms 1000-2000, I hear some screeching noise that goes in a motion, maybe 2 screeches a second, i cant explain the sound, but they are usually on lemon cars. At first i thought maybe it was suspension related, but i stopped the car and revved, and thats when i knew it came from the engine. Maybe something is wrong with the gears or timing belt problem? I just replaced my ignition coil couple days ago, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

haha, LMAO, this is funny, when i pulled into blockbuster to drop off my dvd I slowly move back towards my car and hear that screeching, im like wtf thats so annoying, i put ear near the hood, and slowly moved left where the noise go louder, then i squeeze the pop up headlight in, like shake it around a bit, and the sound left, i was laughing and pissed off at the same time. For some reason it only made that sound when car was still on idle.