PDA

View Full Version : Bought a car today!

hobbie2k
10-28-2007, 02:49 AM
So, as many of you know, my wife is pregnant and we'll have a daughter (Adelaide) soon. We only have the one car and as she gets closer to her due date, she has been having more frequent doctor visits. It's been a pain because we both have to take time off from work and it's more than an hour from my office to her's, then to the doctor's.

I also work two jobs, so I'm gone from about 8am to about 11pm every day, and if the wife is home with a baby, she'll want her own form of transport.

So after a long time and a few mildly heated debates about the type of car we want (I want a large wagon to fulfill duties the Cobalt can't, she wants a small four-door that's easy to park), I finally conviced her that an inexpensive large wagon was worth a test drive, and she decided it would work.

So today we put a down-payment on a 1989 Ford Crown Victoria Wagon with 88,000 miles. In two weeks we'll pick it up with my next paycheck, total cost (after taxes, license, etc.) $1050. It runs great, and the frame and undercarriage are nearly rust-free. The body is straight with only minor surface rust, though the interior is a little rough. The windows don't work well, but winter is coming so we won't be using them. It could use new front shocks, there is a minor tranny fluid leak out of the pan gasket, and there is also a power-steering leak I wasn't able to identify right away, but it is probably just a hose. Overall, I've seen much worse cars for a lot more money.

So I've included some pics. The first one is the car stock. The rest are some of the paint jobs I'm considering and trying to convice the wife on.

Duders
10-28-2007, 02:54 AM
why would you paint that piece of shit

hobbie2k
10-28-2007, 02:56 AM
why would you paint that piece of shit

Why not? I'm not saying it would be a high-cost paint job.

Slider
10-28-2007, 02:59 AM
First 2 look the best IMO. What color is that, brown or red?

Murgatroy
10-28-2007, 03:13 AM
I would go with wood paneling down the side. I am dead serious.

I am aware however that only you and I share the sickness that is called Station Wagons.

My mom got me a `79 Ford Fairmont wagon when I was 16. It was only the first of many.

I am trying to find the wife a nice Camry or Corolla wagon. It will be our next car.

extremeskillz
10-28-2007, 03:18 AM
I see ghost mobile in its future, lol. Nice those are bullet proof and will protect your family well.

vms4evr
10-28-2007, 03:25 AM
You 2 aren't alone. There are a couple of us here that really like the old wagons. The CEO of the company I work at loves him some Buick Roadmaster! I had a 67 Country Squire for my 2nd car for a long time. When we started having kids I bought a Chevelle/Malibu station wagon. Still big enough but had a smaller 6 banger in it so it wasn't so hard on gas. The Country Squire had a 390 and was a tank.

Skip the paint job. I agree with Murg, either do wood panel, like the original options, or leave it alone. Big stripes on a wagon look horrible. Just an opinion...

celicaGT90_05
10-28-2007, 03:32 AM
it looks good man, if you droped a 302...or say a 454 you could make that a hell of a sleeper :) I'm not a huge fan of station wagons, but I see the beauty in them

hobbie2k
10-28-2007, 03:55 AM
Woot! I'm not the only one who has a strange love for wagons. I was looking for a B-Body wagon initially (Caprice, Roadmaster, Custom Cruiser), but it's hard to find them here in decent shape (i.e. not rusted to crap, the lack of rust was a big part of my decision to buy this Ford). I nearly got a nice Custom Cruiser last weekend, but the new owners were pulling the car out as I drove in. I was pissed.

But this one should do the trick.

My wife isn't a big fan of painting it, and she hates wood panelling (she thinks people will assume she's a family woman, which she is), but I think it's cool. I also thought that it would be fun to wood-grain flames on it. That way I'm making fun of the racers and the kidsters at the same time.

it looks good man, if you droped a 302...or say a 454 you could make that a hell of a sleeper I'm not a huge fan of station wagons, but I see the beauty in them
It's got a 302, just the low power version (150hp @ 3200, 270ft-lb @ 2000).

What color is that, brown or red?
Dark Red, or Burgundy.

celicaGT90_05
10-28-2007, 03:59 AM
like I said man you could make it a hell of a sleeper, that would be funny to smoke those ricers in a big bulky wagon. Honestly not a bad lookin car, I saw a guy around here who had the sedan version of that car and had a big APC sticker on his back window lol

burnyd
10-28-2007, 04:20 AM
waste of time,money and paint

celicaGT90_05
10-28-2007, 04:27 AM
that is only an opinion

hobbie2k
10-28-2007, 05:30 AM
waste of time,money and paint

But isn't that the truth about most cars' paint jobs? :)

Chris
10-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Some of you guys are being dicks. Small Japanese sport compacts/cars aren't practical for everyone.

Hookecho
10-28-2007, 03:30 PM
just put some bullet hole stickers on it, and maybe one of these on the roof. :)

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/p_turretfrazer2.jpg

congrats on the new ride.

hobbie2k
10-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Some of you guys are being dicks. Small Japanese sport compacts/cars aren't practical for everyone.

It's okay, they do have a point. The car is kindof a piece of shit, and it really isn't worth spending a lot to paint.

But, name one better car (GM B-Bodies excluded) that I can get in good running condition, that is not rusted to shit, for about $1000, that can haul 5 people in relative comfort, with room for luggage, can haul a boat and large furniture, and still get fuel economy numbers in the low to mid 20s?

That's why I bought the car. And part of the reason for painting is that I want to try and slow the surface rust now while I can, and since all the rust is below the beltline, painting a wide stripe in a different color means that I don't have to match the original color perfectly. So there are reasons. Plus, I think it looks less cool, which, in my mind, makes it more cool :)

Hookecho
10-28-2007, 04:26 PM
it's not that bad of a ride. i've driven worse. it's practical and cheap. plus, whenever you decide to get rid of it, i'm sure the Griswalds will buy it.

celicaGT90_05
10-28-2007, 05:06 PM
But, name one better car (GM B-Bodies excluded) that I can get in good running condition, that is not rusted to shit, for about $1000, that can haul 5 people in relative comfort, with room for luggage, can haul a boat and large furniture, and still get fuel economy numbers in the low to mid 20s?

I got one! My grand prix lol though I wouldnt sell it, I only bought it for $500, it can deffinately haul 5 people (can actually hold 6) with comfort, hell if I sit in the back, and bring the front seat as far forward as I can it's like sitting in a living room, and has plenty of trunk space for luggage. Although the tranny dumped the fluid and I'm gonna replace it which will be about another $500, so totalling the car to about $1000, I still got about 5k miles before that happened, and the fix is simple, I'm replacing it myself, deffinately an easy car to work on

turbo4ag
10-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Here I fixed the post for you

why would you buy that piece of shit

I've seen the 88-91 Camry wagons for the same price. Even a 91-94 Accord wagon costs the same. Those would be the big enough and alot more reliable. Also, atleast around my ways, that 88-91 Camry is THE ABSOLUTE most popular car in the junkyard.

hobbie2k
10-28-2007, 05:55 PM
I've seen the 88-91 Camry wagons for the same price. Even a 91-94 Accord wagon costs the same. Those would be the big enough and alot more reliable. Also, atleast around my ways, that 88-91 Camry is THE ABSOLUTE most popular car in the junkyard.

Try to finding one in Minnesota. Every one I've found in that price range is either so rusted it's only good as a parts car, or it has 200,000 mi+ and needs repairs, or severe body damage. I used to own a '91 Accord wagon that was a great car, but it wouldn't hold nearly as much as the Ford will. Plus I ended up spending well over $1000 in maintenance and repairs on it, (Brakes, Timing Belt, Water Pump, Engine Mount, tune-up, Valve Cover Gasket, minor rust repair, it also needed valve seals).

All this Ford needs is a new tranny pan gasket, new power steering hose, and a front passenger seat belt.

UPDATE - I just did a search for Toyota Camry Wagons, Accord Wagons, or Legacy Wagons, on Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, and Carsoup, within a 150 mile radius, and I found 1 (one) Camry Wagon, in comparable condition to the Ford for a similar price, and it has more than twice as many miles, not nearly as much interior space, and no hitch.

Carolina91GT-S
10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
I think it needs the Starskey and Hutch theme

turbo4ag
10-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Well I guess you gotta go with whats available.

I dont know. Around here there are tons of those driving and some just sitting in peoples driveways just itching to be sold for $200 or so. Shame there are so many of these cars I have no need or interest in, and no 5th gen GT coupes. Plenty of STs and GTSs, but not one GT Coupe w/manual. While other people on this board seem to giving those away in other states.

I guess location really affects the cars available.

celicaGT90_05
10-28-2007, 09:14 PM
around here there are a few coupes running around, and so far I'm the only one with a black hatch, the other ones are just regular daily driven celica's

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
10-29-2007, 08:14 AM
at first when i opened this thread i wasnt too sure if you were serious or not but you gotta do what you gotta do in some situations...needs are usually a bit more important in life than wants to most people.....i do like how you are giving your old lady the wagon and you get to keep the 07...clever, very clever LoL!!!!...good luck with tha wagon, who knows , maybe those wooden flames will add some HP to the whip!! Wagon FTW!!

Fuelish
10-29-2007, 12:06 PM
I also thought that it would be fun to wood-grain flames on it. Now THAT sounds like an idea :cool:

hobbie2k
10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Well I guess you gotta go with whats available.

I dont know. Around here there are tons of those driving and some just sitting in peoples driveways just itching to be sold for $200 or so. Shame there are so many of these cars I have no need or interest in, and no 5th gen GT coupes. Plenty of STs and GTSs, but not one GT Coupe w/manual. While other people on this board seem to giving those away in other states.

I guess location really affects the cars available.

It really does. :)