PDA

View Full Version : What should I get next?

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Well I have a bit of money saved up and wunna do some more with the celica, but I am not sure what I should go for just yet. So out of the options, what would you guys suggest?

vms4evr
10-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Forget the bling stuff. Get the bumper cover. I'm looking for one now. Mine has one corner that could be fixed and then reused. If I find one soon enough you can have my old one if you pay shipping. At least it has the bottom jaw and its teeth intact ;)

Besides a 90 is 91 the only other year or can I use 92-93 also?

85gtsblackman
10-23-2007, 01:10 AM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/celicamaybe058.jpg

on a serious not id say suspension and wheels

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Besides a 90 is 91 the only other year or can I use 92-93 also?

Yeah you can use the 92-93 style, which is more of what I'm lookin for. I tried lookin today for one but no luck, and it has to be black. The only one I know if is on a car layin nose down and is a bit distorted, plus they'd want $100 for it and so screw that. I am lookin for cheap wheels and found a set of the GT wheels of my gen for like $100 and in good condition, what do you guys think? I was wanting something a little better but not sure just yet

Hookecho
10-23-2007, 01:19 AM
bumper, then wheels.

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 02:13 AM
I looked for a bumper cover today, no luck and everyone except my favorite yard wants $100 for one, and I dont wunna spend that much. I also am having a hard time locating one in good condition thats black, so I'm thinkin of gettin somethin else for now. Do you guys think I should get those factory 5th gen 5 spokes for $100?

Carolina91GT-S
10-23-2007, 02:42 AM
hey vms4evr....there is a guy in Cary selling a new bumper cover for $50. Check it out on the Raleigh Craigslist.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/446071325.html

Cavanagh
10-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Whatevers the most necessary to the car.... I'd say bumper cover.

Murgatroy
10-23-2007, 03:07 AM
I would say bumper cover then wheels.

What shape are your wheels in? What shape are the tires? If it is somehow an upgrade, go with the wheels if you can't find a decent nose.

You can find a bumper cover on eBay for ~$150 new. Otherwise take VMS up on his offer. I would offer my bumper cover after I get a new one. It has a tear and would need to sit in the sun for a while to be malleable enough to fit the unsmashed fender contours.

You can always just suffer along till you can afford exactly what you want.

Mr Celica
10-23-2007, 03:17 AM

dude your car looks sweet. i like those wheels on it.

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 03:18 AM
as long as I can find one thats black at a good pricey I'd do it, otherwise I'm thinkin wheels. My wheels are the steelies, not very wide yet heavy. The 5 spokes of the 5th gen generation are wider, I'd have better traction which would be good with winter coming up, plus improve the style. I just dont know, like I said, I cant find a good black bumper cover for cheap, actually one thats not screwed up in some way. I just dont wunna have to paint it, my bumper cover looks decent enough for now

Slider
10-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Fix whatever is wrong with the car and then do mods.

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 03:28 AM
there is nothing wrong with the car now, so now i'm just fixing it up

vip09
10-23-2007, 03:30 AM
Replace any necessary maintenance items (plugs, wires, etc.), then bumper cover, then wheels, then suspension, then save for 3s-gte swap. Don't get white face gauges or clear corners, etc. That junk is a waste of $$.

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 03:33 AM
^^ why would it be a waste? Also it doesnt NEED new wires and plugs, I am thinking of upgrading the plugs, the wires are too expensive for me to be concerned about right now, especially considering I am planning to do the 3s swap

Slider
10-23-2007, 03:33 AM
as long as I can find one thats black at a good pricey I'd do it, otherwise I'm thinkin wheels. My wheels are the steelies, not very wide yet heavy. The 5 spokes of the 5th gen generation are wider, I'd have better traction which would be good with winter coming up, plus improve the style. I just dont know, like I said, I cant find a good black bumper cover for cheap, actually one thats not screwed up in some way. I just dont wunna have to paint it, my bumper cover looks decent enough for now

Wider tires are worse in the winter. The skinnier the better, look at the rally cars. I'm running 185/65/14 in the winter on steelies. If everything is fixed I would go for rims with some nice summer tires. Tires make a huge difference in handling especially if you're on all-seasons right now. Then you can save the steelies and use them in the winter.

vip09
10-23-2007, 04:10 AM
^^ why would it be a waste? Also it doesnt NEED new wires and plugs, I am thinking of upgrading the plugs, the wires are too expensive for me to be concerned about right now, especially considering I am planning to do the 3s swap

The clear corners are ricey and the white face guages are just pointless IMO.

Why do you need to "upgrade" your plugs?

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 04:13 AM
The clear corners are ricey and the white face guages are just pointless IMO.

Why do you need to "upgrade" your plugs?

I was gonna tint the bumper ones, the upper ones I've been deciding between makin clear or keeping stock, but can look good. The white gauges...well I dont usually like white faced gauges, but the factory night time glow of the gauges is just so dull and boring. And as for the plugs, I'd like the extra bit of power and better fuel efficiency that wouldnt cost much

vip09
10-23-2007, 04:29 AM
I was gonna tint the bumper ones, the upper ones I've been deciding between makin clear or keeping stock, but can look good. The white gauges...well I dont usually like white faced gauges, but the factory night time glow of the gauges is just so dull and boring. And as for the plugs, I'd like the extra bit of power and better fuel efficiency that wouldnt cost much

The OEM heat range copper plugs are sufficient for the 5S-FE. Any kind of gain from switching spark plugs would be fractional. Unless they are fouled out, just stick with the ones you have.

Ads28
10-23-2007, 04:45 AM
Suspension then wheels, thats what im doing..just did suspension..and new wheels comming in the summer time..for now no upgrades cuz its winter *gay*

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 04:53 AM
Wider tires are worse in the winter. The skinnier the better, look at the rally cars. I'm running 185/65/14 in the winter on steelies. If everything is fixed I would go for rims with some nice summer tires. Tires make a huge difference in handling especially if you're on all-seasons right now. Then you can save the steelies and use them in the winter.

I've never heard of wider tires being worse, just thinner walled tires being worse.

Anyway winter leaves up for saving up to get things, but I do love my car modifications....freakin hell I gotta get the grand prix fixed :eek:

Slider
10-23-2007, 05:11 AM
A wide tire has to plow through the snow, a skinny tire has less resistance when going through snow and since they're skinnier they dig into the snow giving you more traction. A wide tire will kind of float on top of the snow. There's always trade offs though in the dry the more narrow tire won't get as much traction when cornering compared to the wider tire.

vms4evr
10-23-2007, 05:28 AM
hey vms4evr....there is a guy in Cary selling a new bumper cover for $50. Check it out on the Raleigh Craigslist.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/446071325.html

Thanks! Didn't even think of looking on Craiglist. $50 is not bad if it's a new cover and just needs paint. I have some of my Rustoleum left and can paint that in no time. I'll email him tonight.

celicaGT90_05 -

I just responded to your PM. Shipping will not be cheap. The rear clip for my Z06 cost $100 shipped freight from FL to NC. Not UPS. I had to go down to the trucking company depot and pick it up. If UPS will do it door to door that won't be cheap. That is why I used a freight company for mine.

Anyway as soon as I have another one I'll let you know and you can decide.

turbo4ag
10-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Its your car.... But you asked for our opinion, so....

BUMPER, BUMPER, BUMPER!!!!!!!!!!
If I was your next door neighbor and saw you pull up with a new set of nice looking wheels and you still had that shitty bumper on the front. I'd steal them off the car and hide them, and send you an anonymous letter telling you they are being held ransom until the bumper is fixed because they dont deserve to be on your car.... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA **evil donald duck laugh**

No but seriously. Its either engine upgrades or that bumper. The others shouldnt even be thought about.

Murgatroy
10-23-2007, 05:31 AM
Skinny tire cuts through snow and water better.

Copper plugs give you the most power.

The steel wheels are lighter than the alloy wheels.

If aesthetics are more important to you, at least build your suspension. It is the most practical.

If you want to upgrade the tires, it would be more practical (outside of winter conditions) that upgrading the wheels IMO.

I am all about form over function.

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 05:49 AM
Its your car.... But you asked for our opinion, so....

BUMPER, BUMPER, BUMPER!!!!!!!!!!
If I was your next door neighbor and saw you pull up with a new set of nice looking wheels and you still had that shitty bumper on the front. I'd steal them off the car and hide them, and send you an anonymous letter telling you they are being held ransom until the bumper is fixed because they dont deserve to be on your car.... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA **evil donald duck laugh**

No but seriously. Its either engine upgrades or that bumper. The others shouldnt even be thought about.

I'm not going for very pricey wheels, just something that looks a bit nicer. Though, I dont think my steelies look too bad right now. I am wanting to find a new bumper, I looked around for one today with no luck, and my favorite yard I could get one for $35 but no black ones currently...just a white and grey one, thats why Im really not sure what to get just yet....

85gtsblackman
10-23-2007, 12:18 PM
92-92 bumper st/gt

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I am thinkin about just picking up a gray one of the 90-91 style bumper from a local yard for $35 and just repaint it with spray paint, what do you guys think? If I do that I will probably look to pick up some factory fog lights as well

Slider
10-23-2007, 10:42 PM
I am thinkin about just picking up a gray one of the 90-91 style bumper from a local yard for $35 and just repaint it with spray paint, what do you guys think? If I do that I will probably look to pick up some factory fog lights as well

Go for it. I repainted a good amount of my quarter panel with spray paint, took me a while to get it done, because I wetsanded between every coat it came out perfect though. It looked better than stock paint, no orange peel at all when I was done. Just do light coats so it doesn't run. I would probably practice on something else to get a hang of how it sprays. When you're ready follow this tutorial: http://case-mods.linear1.org/case-mod-101-how-to-paint-your-computer-case-part-1/

Good luck

celicaGT90_05
10-23-2007, 10:56 PM
well Im no strange to spray paint, so I'm not worried about painting it like that. I just plan to sand down the paint a little thats already on the bumper than coat it a couple times with the can, then some clear. It doesnt have to be perfect, my whole car could use a new paintjob. I'm thinkin about it, I'm waiting til tomorrow to make any final decisions, plus you guys seem to be dyin to see me get a new bumper lol

geebes
10-24-2007, 02:54 AM

x2...you want skinnier tires in the winter, they cut through the snow like no other. I have some Toyo observe 185/70/14s on the stock wheels and have been using them for 2 years...they are awesome in the snow. Rally style baby!!

I would do the bumper of course first...90-91 gt bumper baby! Or else the ever popular and good looking RC bumper. Then you should get wheels... one of these wheels to be exact...then lower 1" all around.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/enkrpm.hb.ang.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/enkrpf.g.ang.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/enkrpf.s.ang.jpg

Murgatroy
10-24-2007, 05:09 AM
Enkies pwn. However they are heavy and expensive.

The RPF-01 (?) I think is a great lightweight wheel.

geebes
10-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Enkies pwn. However they are heavy and expensive.

The RPF-01 (?) I think is a great lightweight wheel.

I don't know why, but Enkies are among the only wheel designs i like, other than expensive as shit BBS'

celicaGT90_05
10-24-2007, 06:04 AM
Right now i'm looking to get some fairly cheap wheels like between $100-200 in 15 or 16 inch.

KoreanJoey
10-24-2007, 07:41 AM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/celicamaybe058.jpg

*nods*

KoreanJoey
10-24-2007, 07:42 AM
On a side note... 14" steelies won't clear AT brakes...

I found that out when I got a flat...

GHEY.