PDA

View Full Version : cant get fuel filter out.

zmile06
10-21-2007, 07:28 PM
I have a crows foot and a stubby swivel head and i cant get the bottom bolt off no matter how hard i turn it...

Hookecho
10-21-2007, 07:47 PM
have you tried cussing it yet?

Amaymi
10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Your best bet is gonna be to use a 1/2" impact, the air or electric flavor is fine. Thats how I always get them out of customers cars. Using a ratchet or wrench or anything else that you "twist" the bolt with is gonna be a challenge.
I've seen the whole bottom metal crinkle and twist before the bolt turned. An impact is best for the same reason you can use an impact to take lug nuts off a wheel thats already in the air as apposed to a T-bar where you would have to have the car on the ground or have someone pressing the brakes.

cs363
10-21-2007, 08:43 PM
^^ Yep, and give it a good soaking in penetrating oil beforehand. Best of luck :)

celicaGT90_05
10-21-2007, 08:55 PM
have you tried cussing it yet?

That only works about half the time, other times you gotta tell the car you dont love it anymore and say you might as well scrap it. Once you fix the problem, treat it to some gifts later on ;-)

zmile06
10-21-2007, 09:24 PM
i got it loose then for some reason it just stopped when it was almost out, stripped the bolt to fuck and back. So i cut the fuel line. Went to auto zone to find a replacement fuel line and they dont have ANYTHING that will fit the fuel filter.

So im pretty pissed off, maybe i should just give in and buy a chevy so they will carry the parts i need?

4 and a 1/2 hours later im still not done:)

cs363
10-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Which fuel line did you cut? The steel one or the flexible one?

zmile06
10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Which fuel line did you cut? The steel one or the flexible one?
the bottom line the steel one... Where do i order a new one at?

cs363
10-21-2007, 09:38 PM
:ugh: I guess you could try Toyota,but you are either going to have to make a trip to the wreckers or you could get someone to put a flare and nut onto the end of the pipe where you cut it then you could run another flexible line to the filter, or just a short steel one. At least this would mean you could move it to a more accessible place perhaps? Doesn't sound like fun.....I wish you the best of luck on this one.
Pics might help in getting more advice?

zmile06
10-22-2007, 12:19 AM
so im gona have to go to the wrecker and pull that whole line?

Because i just ran a new bend and it comes up too high so now i cant get my charcoal canister in...

T-spoon
10-22-2007, 04:44 AM
so im gona have to go to the wrecker and pull that whole line?

Because i just ran a new bend and it comes up too high so now i cant get my charcoal canister in...

The line goes all the way to the back of the car yes.. bad news cutting that..

cs363
10-22-2007, 10:19 PM
:eek2: I was kinda hoping you were going to say the fexible line....lol

Yeah, not the best call cutting that line, so yes you will have to get the whole line from a wrecker or Toyota. Unless you can make up a shorter line to the front and put an inline joiner in it? Not sure whay you are allowed to do over there as far as rules on that sort of thing, but I can't see why it wouldn't work if it was done properly with proper flare fitting etc - just an idea.