PDA

View Full Version : blowin just a little smoke

celicaGT90_05
10-21-2007, 08:45 AM
well when I actually really get on the celica, it at times, not always, blows some smoke. I was ahead of a friend earlier and it did it, he said it was dark and said I was probably burnin oil, or maybe leaning out or the valves werent sealing 100% which makes sense in the real high RPM's. I checked the oil, it still looks just about brand new, no actual coloration so I dont beleive its that, what do you guys think?

cs363
10-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Your friend is way off.....

If the smoke is dark (as in black) then that is fuel...running rich and that's fairly normal if you are on the gas hard. Most Toyotas run rich fuelling intentionally (programmed by the factory to keep from going lean and causing damage.
If it was burning oil the smoke would be blueish grey.

celicaGT90_05
10-21-2007, 06:51 PM
^ thats what I thought as well, but I wanted a 2nd opinion. Thanks for the info, I just never knew what colored smoke meant exactly

cs363
10-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Not sure if your car is a turbo or not, but if it is....black smoke is even more normal. The fuelling on the turbo engines is even richer for the same reasons.

To continue your education.. lol....the other colour smoke you sometimes see is white, this is if your coolant is getting burned (indicating a blown head gasket or similar)

So:
White = Coolant
Blue/Grey = Oil
Black = Fuel (Rich)

If the car is running lean you won't see smoke (until it's too late, then you'll get a heap of blue/grey and probably white smoke as well, lol)

celicaGT90_05
10-21-2007, 08:51 PM
that helps, thanks man, I have always wondered what the smokes were about lol the one thing that lead me to really beleive it was not the oil is that my oil still looks practically brand new, so if it were getting past the rings bad enough I know it would start coloring the oil black. And as said, it only does it on off occasions when I get on it real hard suddenly

cs363
10-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah that is one indicator, though not as reliable because most modern oils contain detergents and are designed to pick up and hold contaminants in suspension until you change the oil. So dirty oil isn't necessarily bad, just a sign that it probably needs changing. If your oil is staying fresh looking then that (should) indicate that your motor is pretty healthy, or at least clean inside, though that's not failsafe.
If it was getting past the rings then your level would drop, using oil is another sign that the engine is likely burning it. Though a small amount of oil consumption is not abnormal especially on turbos.

celicaGT90_05
10-21-2007, 09:49 PM
haha yeah I know this much, I actually am losing a SLIGHT bit of oil, but thats dripping from the oil pan and seems to be the drain plug gasket...stupid cheap vynil