PDA

View Full Version : New car

Duders
10-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Ok guys. I'm selling the Celica... It's gonna hurt but it has to be done.

I have two choices of cars. A Mustang GT or a Scion tC.
Which one do you think I should get guys?

Continue the Toyota name with the tC? OR Muscle on with the GT?

turbo4ag
10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Two weak choices. Hmm..... Neither.

How about an RSX?

92st184
10-18-2007, 06:32 PM
get the scion tc!! its a lil low on power and heavy but you'll like it!!

92st184
10-18-2007, 06:33 PM
i kept in the family....celica is the predecessor of the tc....

Duders
10-18-2007, 06:42 PM
06 Mustang V8 can handle its own with 300HP.

The Scion tC is alright doesn't have that oomph but it makes me feel luxurious for a cheap price. Panoramic sunroof iPod-ready radio and all that cool stuff.

Gotta stay in that 21,000 range. I'm not going to race or anything but I am a driving enthusiast.

geebes
10-18-2007, 06:42 PM
I really liked the tc when I drove it!

Duders
10-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Whoa! moved lol.

Anyone drive a GT?

celicaGT90_05
10-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Let me be the first to say that mustangs arent shit, my celica smoked a 94-98 one. The newer ones are kinda nice lookin if done right, but I still say with the power to gas ratio, I'd go with the tC

VikingJZ
10-18-2007, 08:10 PM
The GT is alright. My neighbor is head of service at the local dealer and he said they're so-so.

Up in the air for you. Just remember which company is actually known for making reliable vehicles....and it isn't Ford, GM, or much else.

Cavanagh
10-18-2007, 09:52 PM
If you want gas economy, tc. If you want power and a car everyone has...mustang gt.

Mr Celica
10-18-2007, 09:59 PM
lol everyone has TCs, too.

partyball
10-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Can i ask why your sellin the celica? and i would stay in the toyota family.

Hookecho
10-18-2007, 11:17 PM
if those were my only two choices then i would have the mustang.

Chris
10-19-2007, 01:49 AM
lol everyone has TCs, too.

I see maybe 1 tc for every five mustang gt's. Sadly, thats I'm not exaggerating. I'd take a TC, they can do 300hp with a supercharger, if I remember correctly.

celica91gts
10-19-2007, 01:52 AM
Ok guys. I'm selling the Celica... It's gonna hurt but it has to be done.

I have two choices of cars. A Mustang GT or a Scion tC.
Which one do you think I should get guys?

Continue the Toyota name with the tC? OR Muscle on with the GT?

my friends have tc's. one is auto and its meh. one it turbo and its badass... but honestly i wouldnt like one... thier so big... and also... there is no muscle on mustangs. all that muscle died after the late 60's. now they have grown fat and lazy! id for for an rsx-s

celica91gts
10-19-2007, 01:53 AM
i kept in the family....celica is the predecessor of the tc....

DON'T SAY THAT! i won't ever believe it! *runs under bed and cries*

85gtsblackman
10-19-2007, 02:02 AM
ok tc

umm under 21k

anything turboed made by subaru thats 2-3 years old

used altima ser

Cavanagh
10-19-2007, 02:08 AM
there is no muscle on mustangs. all that muscle died after the late 60's. now they have grown fat and lazy! id for for an rsx-s
Thats not what my buddies cobra is.... :bigthumbu

Ya and i see mustangs around here prolly 10 times more than a TC

And NO the tc is not the celicas predecessor.:slap:

Chris
10-19-2007, 02:27 AM
But the Tc still isn't bad. I'll be honest, except for Miata's (which lets face it, never change), WRX's and Evo's the Scion line is the only new line that really appeals to me. Nissans for the most part come off as ugly. Subaru has the Legacy and the WRX, and Mitsubishi has the Evo, and that's it.

I think Scions would be awesome if they ratcheted up their performance, but they're still pretty kickass cars. I'd definitely take a tC as a DD, I imagine its got a decent after market too so it can be made into a pretty fun DD.

donteatbugs
10-19-2007, 02:35 AM
sb2k7 has a tc 5spd. fun to drive and very comfortable. she even autocrosses it every once in a while. nice sound system for stock but could use an added subwoffer. it has torque to match its hp too.

Murgatroy
10-19-2007, 02:55 AM
I like the new Mustangs. For the record, the Early `70s Mustangs were faster and more powerful than the late `60s Mustangs, making the "there is no muscle on mustangs. all that muscle died after the late 60's..." statement all opinion, and also wrong.

I don't think you will be able to touch a new Mustang GT for near the price of the tC.

To be honest, if I were buying a new car, my choices would include both of these cars and be joined by the Yaris 3-door.

The price factor would allow the Yaris to win.

In your situation the tC would be the much cheaper option. It would be better of fuel, and most likely, more reliable over time.

The Mustang would have equitable options for aftermarket, probably more to be honest. It would also have more potential for power, coupled with the fact that it derives it's go from the proper set of wheels, it would be lots of fun to drive.

I think the tC would hold it's value better. And be cheaper to insure.

I have driven a tC and I liked it. It did have several of the TRD/Hotchkiss options, so those would come with a premium though. I haven't driven the new Mustang. I have driven every other gen and bodystyle of Mustang though. Owning most of them.

In the end, go drive both and think long and hard on which one you want more and why.

92st184
10-19-2007, 03:23 AM
let me make ur decision for you...get the tc....lol. the tc is fun in 5spd. im still breaking mine in so i cant really step on it yet, but the engine is peppy. i dont race it, but it has potential. its my car for school (75 mile round trip),its a nice car for the money. 19k out the door and you have options most cars for that price dont have, and you can always upgrade more... its a toyota, that means reliability and good gas mileage. insurance isnt that bad either....i was skeptical at first and thought i made a big mistake, but the more i drove it the better it got, now its at the same level of love as my celi...and i love my celi. i hate to say it but i kinda dont wanna drive my celica anymore.....lol. nah i love my celi!!! oh yeah, isnt the celica the predecessor of the tc? or am i wrong here?

Cavanagh
10-19-2007, 03:34 AM
No, the Tc isn't a predecessor of the Celica.

Thats a very common myth.

Murgatroy
10-19-2007, 03:37 AM
The tC filled the niche in the Toyota lineup formerly held by the Celica. But no, it is not the 8th Gen.

Duders
10-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Lmao. I love the responses, thanks guys. My decisions still up in the air.

I'd say 70% of me is leaning towards the tC. It's hard to beat a new car from 2008 with a Panoramic sunroof, Premium Pioneer iPod-ready radio with undercargo subwoofer and good sound setup and it's 161HP can be tuned up. All for 21k.

The tC would be the easier vehicle to insure. The reason I am selling my Celica is that it's well, old. Needs new motor mounts, seems to attract cops at 12 midnight, no lie. I'm tired of driving a automatic to. I needs me a manny!

DarkSideCelica
10-19-2007, 06:59 AM
mazda 3...... if u wanna add a bit more, mazdaspeed 3

geebes
10-19-2007, 07:45 AM
^booooooo

hobbie2k
10-19-2007, 05:59 PM
21k is in VW MkV GTI/GLI territory. The 2.0 FSI Turbo motor and DSG tranny are probably the best drivetrain combination in the world. And I've read they'll push 250+ hp with bolt-ons and a reflash.

You might be able to find older used G35s in that price range...maybe an IS300...

turbo4ag
10-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Okay... I dont care if you guys have the opinion that the TC is a good car. To me its ugly and overpriced. But this here is a fact: The Scion tC is SLOW

A friend of mine has a old 1995 Sentra SE-R. Thats the heavier one, not the "box" Sentra, which is ALL stock. He beat a 06 TC w/ ram air intake.... EASILY over 3 runs from both a roll and a dead stop. The owner even said it, he was shifting as best as possible. A car that runs a 7.5 in the 0-60 MPH is dirt slow. Their are minivans andlight SUV's that run the same.

Newbster
10-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I dont understand the TC craze either.....They look like civics. Nothing new there.

Murgatroy
10-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Ugly or not, slow or not, it is still a decent car.

Celicas are slow too... Almost every stock car is slow to some degree, that doensn't mean they are all POS.

Luni
10-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Why does it have to be "new"?

My buddy just got a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed for 9400 bux. That car is better than most of the "new" cars coming out by toyota and mazda etc, and was 1/2 to 1/3rd the price. It only has 70k miles on it.

I advise against NEW cars. You really eat it hard when you buy one.

MoralWarfare
10-20-2007, 03:08 AM
holy shit get the tc. toyota and ford don't even come close to the same league. ford cars are built like shit. i want to throw up every time i get in a mustang. then again, i've never been in the brand new ones, but i'm sure they haven't made miles of difference in the matter of two years. i don't care if the tc is slower. the overall quality is 900 times better than the ford.

geebes
10-20-2007, 03:47 AM
If you are concerned about how fast it is, I believe there is a trd supercharger option. :D

The tcs have some cool features in it, ie: I love the sunroof!

Blackcloud
10-20-2007, 04:10 AM
Okay... I dont care if you guys have the opinion that the TC is a good car. To me its ugly and overpriced. But this here is a fact: The Scion tC is SLOW

A friend of mine has a old 1995 Sentra SE-R. Thats the heavier one, not the "box" Sentra, which is ALL stock. He beat a 06 TC w/ ram air intake.... EASILY over 3 runs from both a roll and a dead stop. The owner even said it, he was shifting as best as possible. A car that runs a 7.5 in the 0-60 MPH is dirt slow. Their are minivans andlight SUV's that run the same.

dude... not everybody buys a car cuz its FAST

Blackcloud
10-20-2007, 04:11 AM
ohh.. but i think you should get a turbo diesel

StormyBklyn
10-20-2007, 04:52 AM
Whoa! moved lol.

Anyone drive a GT?

I did. I was out in California on business back in 2005, and I drove a GT convertible. It had some nice pickup, but that's it. Yeah, it was automatic, but it handled like a dumptruck. I had more fun driving an 05 turbp PT Cruiser convertible. My father has a tC, and I've driven it around a bit. It's an automatic too, but it was nimble and quick. I could see how it would be a blast turbocharged or supercharged. I still prefer my Celicas.

DarkSideCelica
10-20-2007, 05:04 AM
no love for the mazdaspeed 3? hhm...

bloodredgt
10-20-2007, 05:06 AM
Although I think that there are better cars out there (used IS300, used G35 coupe, used 350Z, 2003 Cobra, etc etc) , it sounds to me like the tC is the best option for you. I hate driving the tC but I hated how the GT was when I test drove one a few weeks ago. The GT would be a poor investment if you ask me. Won't hold its value as well as the tC, most likely unreliable workmanship/design of the GT, worse gas mileage than the tC, less options than the tC, cheap plastic interior, horrid interior design, uncomfortable seating for fronts and rear, gearing felt weird, brakes felt funny, and can't handle worth beans.

If you get the tC with the supercharger option. It should fulfill your expectations from what you look for from your car.

geebes
10-20-2007, 05:47 AM
no love for the mazdaspeed 3? hhm...

My friend has one...its ok. I'd take one if it was given to me, but wouldn't go get one. Plus, I don't like mazdas.

VikingJZ
10-20-2007, 05:59 AM
I don't care what American creates...they're still a decade behind Toyota in quality.

hobbie2k
10-20-2007, 01:52 PM
I personally love the Mazdaspeed3. My only complaints about my brother's Mazda3 are the orange instrument lights and the hard to read speedo and tach. I just think a decent speed3 is out of his price range...

I don't care what American creates...they're still a decade behind Toyota in quality.

That's a very close-minded attitude. GM in particular has made huge improvements in the last few years while Toyota has been running into quality issues (probably due to the company's rapid growth). So it could be said that even Toyota is a decade behind Toyota in terms of quality.

I wouldn't say they're exactly equal yet, but I would also say that it does Toyota no favors to deny that the American manufacturers are improving.

T-spoon
10-20-2007, 02:29 PM
I personally love the Mazdaspeed3. My only complaints about my brother's Mazda3 are the orange instrument lights and the hard to read speedo and tach. I just think a decent speed3 is out of his price range...

That's a very close-minded attitude. GM in particular has made huge improvements in the last few years while Toyota has been running into quality issues (probably due to the company's rapid growth). So it could be said that even Toyota is a decade behind Toyota in terms of quality.

I wouldn't say they're exactly equal yet, but I would also say that it does Toyota no favors to deny that the American manufacturers are improving.

Oh how woefully true this is.. in some cases. The American built and American part supplied new Toyotas are not up to the standards I'm used to. The Yaris seems pretty decent, but in terms of just quality of parts and build, a lot of them just leave me somewhat sceptical. All the breaking door handles people come in to buy, for instance.. guess what.. US-built VINs.. The huge push to make Toyotas domestic is a double-edged sword IMO. Where it helps to make more people comfortable buying an import and it does provide jobs, it DOESN'T necessarily preserve the quality we've come to expect from our 80's-90's Toyotas.

Luni
10-20-2007, 08:53 PM
The new stuff sucks a fatty.

I wouldnt buy a new Toyota. I have no loyalty to their new stuff. They can lick me.

Im true to the 90s and thats it.

Luni
10-20-2007, 08:54 PM
And Id take a used maxima for half the price of the TC and kick the living shit out of it in performance.

Hell, Id go look for an Altima SE-R those are nice cars too. Very nice cars. Better than a TC also.

Cavanagh
10-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Oh how woefully true this is.. in some cases. The American built and American part supplied new Toyotas are not up to the standards I'm used to. The Yaris seems pretty decent, but in terms of just quality of parts and build, a lot of them just leave me somewhat sceptical. All the breaking door handles people come in to buy, for instance.. guess what.. US-built VINs.. The huge push to make Toyotas domestic is a double-edged sword IMO. Where it helps to make more people comfortable buying an import and it does provide jobs, it DOESN'T necessarily preserve the quality we've come to expect from our 80's-90's Toyotas.
I agree 100%

Duders
10-21-2007, 05:58 AM
Well... A Speed3 is not for me. The body is to bleh. The Mazda6 is very intriguin or however you spell that. 26k is a little bit to much though. I'm going to college so I want something classy but I also want some power.

As for the tC being slow, it is. So is my Celica to. Slower in fact. So I guess I wouldn't mind so much.

I could never see me in a SE-R. Bleh. A used 350z sounds good but a 2 seater is not practical. G35 coupe is good,but I have heard nothing but negatives of Ininiti. It's a little overrated IMO.

Damnit I wish Supras weren't so overpriced! Get me a Celica GT-4 and I'd be happy. Seriously though guys, any suggestions on what carI should purchase would be kindly accepted.

92st184
10-21-2007, 07:03 AM
get the tc...its a good car for the money. and like you said the tc is kinda slow, but not that slow. it'll smoke my celica thats for sure. its my commuter car to school. i travel 70 miles round trip to school so i need something reliable, new (not used), and with a little power. i dont race much so, i think the tc was a good choice. plus that panoramic sunroof is awesome!! there is also a feature where u remove the headrests on the front seats and reclined them all the way forward. the back seats recline back and you can put your feet up on the front seats, and watch a movie if you get a dvd system in it, or you can relax with ur significant other in the back, or even take a nap on those long school days. theres a bunch of little features that im still learning about...go test drive one and you'll like it....

geebes
10-21-2007, 07:45 AM
And Id take a used maxima for half the price of the TC and kick the living shit out of it in performance.

Hell, Id go look for an Altima SE-R those are nice cars too. Very nice cars. Better than a TC also.

OOOOHH...altima ser, I test drove one of those...it was a GREAT car!

Duders
10-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Altima stands for yuck. 'nuff said. I've heard nothing but positives of the tC though

vip09
10-22-2007, 07:20 AM
I've ridden in a couple of tC's. It's a nice car. Would make an excellent daily driver.

andy
10-22-2007, 07:44 AM
+!

2kSnakEater
10-22-2007, 05:05 PM
holy crap I have never stumpled upon a thread with so much opinion and very little facts.

IMO GM > all but im not going to try to sell you on a GM car like the above Toyota/Mazda/Subaru/:insertcarhere: nutswingers. what you need to do is sit down and figure out what YOU want.

Do you care about gas milage?
Do you like having more power than 90% of the cars you will be on the street with?
then get the Mustang!

Do you want to drive for a month and not have to touch the gas tank?
do you like having the same power as a sowing machine?
Do you mind driving a made-for-rice car?
then get the TC!

If you want more power than the Mustang, but like having a luxury interior of the TC then get a GTO. You can find those cheap with low miles

Or

If you want same power as a Mustang, and dont really care about the Interior then get an LS1 f-body. You can find those dirt cheap and they are as reliable as any Toyota out there with the comparable options.

Duders
10-23-2007, 07:06 AM
The Mustang, here in Miami, would only be about more powerful than say, 30% of the cars. Lol, almost everyone here has a damn Porche 911 or carerra. Suprisingly I have yet to see an Evo, but seen about 5 WRX STi's.

The RSX now for some reasons has me thinking.

T-spoon
10-23-2007, 03:42 PM
If you want same power as a Mustang, and dont really care about the Interior then get an LS1 f-body. You can find those dirt cheap and they are as reliable as any Toyota out there with the comparable options.

You were doing pretty good until this.. :hehe:

Duders
10-24-2007, 07:42 AM
I think I found someone interested in the Celica. Maybe the deal will go through...

I've been looking at a couple RSX Type-S

Watcha guys think about that?

Duders
10-26-2007, 06:04 AM
The dude who was gonna buy my car punked out. So now more waiting is involved in tryin to get a buyer grrr!

kt
02-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Yeah, I dont understand the TC craze either.....They look like civics. Nothing new there.
dumbass... they look NOTHING like the Civic.. compairing tC to Mustang.. I know power is obviously different... but you have toyota... then Ford... (fix or repair daily) COME ON! But I am biased.. toyota girl all the way.. but the tC has power and potential..they arent SLOW either, just not fast.. I am a proud owner of a tC, I must say that I loath Ford.. but if thats your choice.. whatever.. I would go with the tC tho.. if I had those choices.. all biasedness aside..

Ghosty
02-09-2008, 01:41 AM
Hmmm... something kind of luxurious, yet potent... some room for storage... and in the 20K price range?

I'm not an expert on German cars, but you should look into what you could get on the European front...

Maybe an 2002 Audi A6 or S4? The S4 has a 250 hp turbo V6 and AWD to match. It's a touch heavy, though, and perhaps expensive to repair (when it does actually break).
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/images/04s4_1.jpg

... I'd strongly advise AGAINST a mustang. Not just for the so-so build quality, but I hear it handles like a washing machine (referencing previous posts in this topic...). That and EVERYONE has a mustang. And EVERYONE has a TC. I'd look into the GTI or something Audi. BMW may be German but has an unflattering "Yuppiebox" look to them. They're just as common as the mustang and TC as well.

Newbster
02-10-2008, 06:39 AM
dumbass... they look NOTHING like the Civic.. compairing tC to Mustang.. I know power is obviously different... but you have toyota... then Ford... (fix or repair daily) COME ON! But I am biased.. toyota girl all the way.. but the tC has power and potential..they arent SLOW either, just not fast.. I am a proud owner of a tC, I must say that I loath Ford.. but if thats your choice.. whatever.. I would go with the tC tho.. if I had those choices.. all biasedness aside..

Here is a comparison
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/1d0fd46607.jpg

And If I had to choose, I think the civic actually looks sportier.