PDA

View Full Version : buffalohunter7321

buffalohunter7321
10-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi I'am new to this site and I'am looking for some help with my 88 gts. A couple years ago I put a JDM motor in my celica and have had problems with the starter ever since. I have put at lest 12 new starters in since, I even put a heat shield around my exhaust pipe, rerouted my possitive cable out of the way and incased it in high temp hose as to keep it from getting to hot. But still have to take a small hammer and bang on starter while someone else holds the key on start. This usly does the trick, but when I'am all lone I have to do it by my self, bang on starter and then turn the key a number of times to get it to turn over and start! Has anyone had this problem and solved it? I would be in your debt forever if you could help me.

Kiasis
10-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Welcome. Your problem is very common w/ our gen cars. Do a search using 'starter' or 'starter relay' and you'll get many options to choose from for the fix that best seems to describe your symptoms. If yours is the most common problem, it's a result of too old, too small a wire and the permanent solution is to install a lower gauge wire and relay between starter and battery. But, do the search and see how many others have struggled w/ exactly the same, or a slight variation, of the same problem.

Hookecho
10-18-2007, 11:13 PM
12 new starters? that's the price of another used celica.

buffalohunter7321
10-19-2007, 03:07 PM
My thanks to you for the info on search the starter ,but how do I do that own this site? I stumbled on to cel.tech purely by accident and really do not know how to use this site yet or any other one for that matter! I relie on my wifes ability to help me out when it comes to our computer, but for my cars ,it's all me.

Kiasis
10-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Sorry 'bout that. If you look at the top of the page, right below the celitech logo there's a yellow tool bar w/ a bunch of options. Second from the right is the search function. Right click the white arrow once and a window will pop open right below that. Type in your search terms; starter, relay, whatever, and it will find all discussion threads that include those search terms. You can narrow the search by putting quotes around two or more words, "starter relay", and you will get only those threads that have starter and relay next to each other. Otherwise, you'll get all threads w/ starter and relay anywhere in the thread, but not necessarily together.

If this only makes things worse, let me know and I'll try again. Good luck.

P.S. I'd be happy to tell you exactly what to do, but I only discovered this site after paying the dealership to do the exact same fix everyone else did on their own. It's quite simple from what I can tell, but since I haven't done it myself, I'm not qualified to tell you how to do it successfully.

buffalohunter7321
10-19-2007, 07:58 PM
May God Bless you and keep you in a celica forever Kiasis. I printed this off and am on my out the door to go and purches a relay as soon as I can thank you.

buffalohunter7321
10-19-2007, 08:06 PM
One thing that I have done to my celica is a little mode in the front grille where it says celica. I scratced off the paint from on the inside of it and then mounted a black lite tube in so has when I turn on my lights the word celica is lit up. I think it looks cool. This is just some of the things I have planed for it.

Kiasis
10-20-2007, 05:07 AM
I like that. Can you post some pics?

Mr Celica
10-20-2007, 04:00 PM
yea that sounds pretty cool

buffalohunter7321
10-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Sure thing I can do some pics and some post, as soon as my wife can put them on this computer for me. Now for my bad news, this year on mothers day while go to see my mom ,who is in a nursing home, I slowed for a RRXing and noticed a little knocking in my motor and glanced at my oil presure gage and no presure at all was regeristing. I pulled over on the spot and turned off the motor, called my mechanic about what could be the problem, he said the motor was probly blown. Do any of you think this is also the problem! It still starts up but I do not drive it at all untill I save up the money for a complete rebuild. While the cel. is down I drive an fx16 around as a daily driver, its fun but its not my celica. It looks like this winter I'll be doing the rebuild for spring so I can cruse again in style. buffalohunter7321

Kiasis
10-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Don't automatically assume the engine is blown. It could be anything from the oil pan drain plug falling out to a blown seal, to yeah a kaput motor. Once you lose oil pressure you will hear knocking, but it doesn't have to mean the end of the world. Did you overheat? Did you notice lots of smoke out the tailpipe? A 'little knocking' is different from a 'big banging.' I suggest that you repost this in the 'maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair' forum and you'll get much more feedback than just us lonely 4th genners.

buffalohunter7321
10-21-2007, 12:29 AM
No the engine didn't even get past normol heat range. There was no smoke at all. This gives me hope. I'll post this in maintenance and troubleshooting, repair and see what they say. Thanks again, buffalohunter7321

buffalohunter7321
10-21-2007, 09:32 PM
This is buffalohunter7321 On my post about the mode on my grille there's one thing I didn't mention! You have to paint around the outside edges of the lettering with a darker paint so that the light will only shine through the lettering. I hope I didn't couse anyone any extra work, I'am old and some times forget things, sorry...buffalohunter7321

Rick89GTS
10-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Here's another site you might enjoy:
http://st162.com/forums/index.php

carlosfandango
10-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Sounds like a crankshaft bearing has failed, could be down to a failure with the oil pump or oil feed/return. I would whip off that sump cover and inspect before you run the engine anymore. If the sump has been low on oil, the return/pick up pipe can get blocked by overcooked sludge.

So it seems your starter is the least of your worries.

buffalohunter7321
10-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Hay Carlosfandango I'am kind new to toyota motors so would the sump cover be in the oil pan? It sounds like it would be from your mentioning oil sledge blocking the oil pump! But I want to make sure. And how can I tell If this is the problem and what do I do about it? I would think that this would call for a lower overhaul! I'am just about done with my little fx motor swap to a JDM so I should be getting my celica on my rack pronto...buffalohunter7321

buffalohunter7321
10-31-2007, 03:45 PM
I think I might know how my sump might have gotten clogged if thats what is really wrong with my celica. I used about three cans of seafoam every third tank of gas to clean my injectors and from what I read on other threads this could have caused all the sledge in my pan in whitch could have plugged my sump that would cause bearring failure! And if thats the case, I'll be selling my gts and be looking for a altrack to buy. If any one has any input that this might be the case, let me know. I really liked my celica and was going to have my leather seats redone when my motor developed the knock...buffalohunter7321

extremeskillz
10-31-2007, 03:48 PM
That or the screen is clogged. Pull the pan off and check it out.

buffalohunter7321
10-31-2007, 06:26 PM
When I pull the pan and the screen is clogged would that mean my motor is shot from oil starvation or just the bearrings?

extremeskillz
10-31-2007, 07:23 PM
When I pull the pan and the screen is clogged would that mean my motor is shot from oil starvation or just the bearrings?

I wouldn't know because its stopping flow to the head. How much damage will have to be determined after the screen is changed and new oil added to the system. Right now from what im reading here is that you oil is not flowing, so start at the pan and if you could before this is to pull the valve cover off and see if oil flows when running (about 15 secs). If none flows you have either a clog or oil pump failure. Either way no good.

buffalohunter7321
11-03-2007, 01:40 AM
Question to all of you! My celica is an automatic with the power butten and I drive in the power mode all the time. I also have a 5 speed standard with clutch and presure plate. What I would like is some input on should I switch my car over or keep it auto?...buffalohunter7321

extremeskillz
11-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Depends on your future goals. Me im keeping it auto because she probably never see the track. I use it mostly for pleasure and street twisties which is fun as hell. If you plan on turboing or swapping a manual is a must. In a way i kinda wish mine was manuel but i will survive.

evolution
11-03-2007, 02:46 PM
if you put Seafoam in the gas tank (to clean your injectors) I don't think it would have affected your oil

buffalohunter7321
11-03-2007, 04:28 PM
I had read a few other threads and they had mention that they would use seafoam on there cars and would have to change there oil also there filter plus clean out there oil pans and un clogg there oil pick up screens because this cleans every thing in your motor. Thats why I said this about my motor! Maybe they didn't apply it in there tanks? They might have put it in there crank case? I just don't know for sure whitch way they did it!...buffalohunter7321

buffalohunter7321
11-03-2007, 04:49 PM
If I keep it auto, then I will put a block off switch for the front brakes so that I can do more of a power lanch at a slite higher rpm.

89gtcon
11-06-2007, 10:54 PM
they prob put that sea foam in there valve covers, lol i hate that stuff, makes me have to change my oil. expensive royal purple! GRR

buffalohunter7321
11-07-2007, 03:06 AM
I really wouldn't understand why someone would put seafoam in there valve covers! To me that would be like dumping sand inside your motor and expect it not to run any different. I mean that would wash and free every little piece of durt and grime down into there oil pan plus clogg up all the oils passage ways to every thing, wouldn't it? The threads that I read where they said sea foam did this damage to there engines was not on celica tech but on another site. [4AGE CLUB] I know of this one dude, who drives a 87 rwd gts corolla, just puts it in his tvis by way of a spray bottle. He says it smokes like crazy but runs better after he does it. I just put it in my gas tank with a 1/4 of a tank. My mechanic says to use fuel injector cleaner connected directly to your fuel line to clean your tvis and injectors. He's got this metal bottle that you can pore your cleaner in and than presurizes it with air and clamps the fuel hose on to the bottle and shoots the stuff in to just keep the motor running. He also says to run your car until it gets to normal running temp. And than do the cleaner to just keeping the motor running...buffalohunter7321

buffalohunter7321
11-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Is this royal purple better than Mobil one syntheic? I"am an old jet air craft mechanic and we used syntheic oil because of the extrem heat in the engines. Is this royal purple syntheic? I know this is alot to ask my fellow 4th. gens., but I like to go with practical experance and hands on type people that do every thing by trial and erior. This advice is come by the hard way, but also from the part of people that are really loyal to seeing there celica brothers not have to go through what they them selves have gone through. I believe not one of you would stand by and let some one post a frouldulant post with out stepping in and trying to worn some one of the bad advice...buffalohunter7321

Kiasis
11-09-2007, 04:00 AM
Royal Purple is a full synthetic oil. There are a couple pretty extensive threads regarding it if you do a search using 'Royal Purple.' I put it in my 88 Celica GTS and 99 Camry LE 4-cyl. I haven't noticed any HP gains, but apparently there's a lot of research suggesting it can free up HP lost due to engine friction using less viscous oils. As to how it compares to other full synthetics, I don't know. If you do a thread search you'll see lots of comments from guys who have been running it a long time (I just heard of it, but I guess it's been in the racing world for years) and swear by it. RP has a complete line of products for cars and motorcycles including transmission fluids, radiator additives (I tried some of that, too) and other stuff.

About Sea Foam. I love the stuff. I ran it through the GTS and Camry. I didn't notice anything big time in the Celica, but I'm chasing so many ghosts in that car, it's hard to say what helps, hurts or does absolutely nothing. However, I saw a huge gain in the get-up-and-go of my Camry. It has 170K miles and had been getting sluggish for some time. I actually thought perhaps I was headed for some expensive transmission repair as it seemed to be skipping when I pressed the gas pedal. No more. I ran 1/2 can in the gas, 1/2 can in the crank, and a full can into the intake system via the brake vacuum line. After the smoke cleared (a lot of smoke) I suddenly had power I'd long since forgotten was in that engine.

In both cases, I did change the spark plugs and oil after running the Sea Foam through the system and plan on an oil change shortly after any future SF treatment (perhaps every other oil change). However, I was talking to a mechanic today that uses a lot of SF and he said that if you manually rev your engine quite high while vacuuming the SF into the manifold system, it shouldn't gum up the spark plugs - which is good since I have no intention of replacing a $32 set of platinum plugs every time I use SF and do an oil change. As a backup, I did keep my old plugs, so I can always swap them in, do the SF thing, and then put the new platinum back in afterwards. I know that sounds like a lot of work, but after one treatment in my Camry, I am a believer in the stuff.

As for fraudulent posts, no you shouldn't see any here. You will see plenty of posts that get contradicted by the next guy down the list (like someone completely disagreeing w/ my views on Sea Foam) but you won't find malicious posts (I hope). There are several guys infamous for posting things that quickly get the "Oh god, don't do that" but it's not malicious. There are many ways to skin the cat. I try and stay as close to OEM parts and the BGB as possible. But sometimes, the cost is simply prohibitive. Then, this site is fantastic for offering advice on parts brands and short-cuts that may not be 100% according to Toyota specs, but won't blow your engine 2 miles down the road.

Okay, I'll get off my high-horse now - mostly because my 20 horses are wondering where the hell dinner is right now. Ah, the joys of ranching....