PDA

View Full Version : '88 Convert Weatherstripping

timmy2
10-18-2007, 06:03 AM
Anyone know of a source for replacement weatherstripping for my newly accquired '88 GT convertible? :bowdown:
I need to replace all of the convertible only pieces. I've read where the dealers don't carry it anymore.
This is my first post here, very nice site. :)

Kiasis
10-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Have you checked online? My local dealership loves to tell me parts aren't available over the counter, but when I check w/ Champion (Dave) in TX, I find they're still out there. If you can get a parts number you may still find it. If you don't have access to a parts catalog, shoot me your VIN and the part you need and I'll look it up on the Toyota EPC.

Edit: I was just over on the Champion Toyota online catalog. From what I can tell, they still list all the various parts for your convertible (at substantially less cost than my local dealer).

timmy2
10-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I went to my local stealership and they gave me the following info:
1. 02403-86101 LH W/S assy $64.04
2. 20404-86101 LH W/S assy $191.12
(those are the pieces above the door windows attached to the top)
And the actual front header weatherstrip assembly, drumroll please:

3. 002164-86102 W/S ASSY FR HE $1179.17 :eek: :wtf: :lolhittin

Unfortunately these parts are unavailable nationwide according to their search.
So for now I went to "home despot" and picked up a $4.99 tube of GE II silicone and re-sealed the peeling areas of the weatherstripping that were allowing water to soak into the rubber foam and then collect and drip onto my seats. Seeing as I'm north of Seattle, I'll be able to test to see if it works today and most of this winter! I did the same thing to my '73 911 Targa when I had it, and it worked well, a little bit unsightly in some areas but functional.
I'll be keeping an eye out for replacements though. :hyper:

Kiasis,
Thanks for the response, do you have a link to the Champion Toyota site that I can search their parts database? All I could find was a parts request form.

mighty
10-27-2007, 06:37 PM
It is only a dealer item- Now one thing that can be done is to take it to interior/top maker- and do a one off- may cost you a couple but better than 1200 bucks- and get this that 1200 bucks is still for a 20 year old piece!!! lololol

timmy2
10-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Well, Champion has it for about 1/2 of dealer price. Still $663 seems pretty steep for some molded foam! I paid about $200 for all 7 of the convertible seals including the header seal for my '69 442!
The silicone fix is working great for now, have to justify the replacement piece. :lolhittin
I only paid $960 for the car with 125,000 miles on it. It's a rust free, undented, 2 owner, Seattle area Craig's List purchase that ran (very poorly) and had new tires on it. 2nd owner only had it 2 months and had finance problems so really a one owner car.
So far I've replaced the top, headliner, ignition wires, plugs,cap, rotor, water pump, idler pulleys, timing belt, p.s. and alt belts and a heater hose. All for around $500.00. Runs and drives great now.
The only thing it needs is CV boot on pass side and I should probably replace all the bushings on the car sometime soon.

Sure glad i could do it all myself, including replacing the top and headliner that I got off E-Bay for $225. (the guy bought it but never installed, he even threw in a new alternator that he had, his car was wrecked)
That's what makes it hard to justify the $663 for the seal, I'm damn cheap and love hunting for deals! :eek:
Oh well, I'm rambling now. Time to go look for a deal somewhere. :wedge:

timmy2
06-22-2011, 06:10 AM
LOL... 4 years later my weatherstripping modification with 3m pure black silicone is holding up My cost $20.00
Did a search at champion today and it's gone up a bit....
Multi-Part Search
OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP
0216486102 $1,005.83 Champion price = $754.37
WEATHERSTRIP ASSY

187flatliner
06-22-2011, 08:20 AM
U still in salem

timmy2
06-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Yep, Salem is home.

187flatliner
06-23-2011, 04:32 AM
you should check out otoc's next meet then......i live in canby....were having another all toyota meet happening.....making the thread after this response....look it up and check out a couple of early gens and a few alltracs as well as the 4th gens that have shown.