PDA

View Full Version : ST162 FWD to AWD?

sneaky
10-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Question:
Is it possible to convert FWD to AWD on ST162 if i get the AWD kit (gearbox, diff, tailshaft)?
I'm running a 3SGE, but i'm not planning to sawp it for a 3SGTE because of new laws (young drivers not allowed to have over 200kw of power and no turbo on cars).

Is it possible to do it without an excessive use of angle grinder?
Is it worth it?

The full kit will cost me $1000AUD
Little more info:
The car is very stock. also, i have 2 celica's
One is my primary car, 1986 ST162 SX with 3S-GE engine.
the second one is 1988 ST162 with 3S-FE engine. it's unregistered, but still drives. except it has no seats, dashboard or i can just say that it doesnt have a single bit of plastic inside. yes, i stripped it and replaced my primary car's interior with the second car's guts.

Now people will ask me, why do you want AWD?
Reason for that is: everyone whinges that fwd blows ass, and im sick of hearing that. yet i love my celica.

Please help me out, i want to know if it's possible/worth it before i spend any money on the parts.

Thanks for readin, please comment back.

Murgatroy
10-15-2007, 01:04 AM
It is possible.

It is far from sensible.

You would essentially have to cut the entire rear of your car out and weld in the rear from the AWD donor car. Your stock firewall would also require massive amounts of massaging to fit the AWD tranny. Your floor pan would also have to be modified to fit the driveshaft as well as relocating the exhaust.

AWD is only superior to a two-wheel-drive vehicle in adverse conditions such as weather or racing.

I wouldn't worry about the FWD naysayers.

Cavanagh
10-15-2007, 01:10 AM
It would require alot of money,time,fabrication, and money.

sneaky
10-15-2007, 02:05 AM
crud..
i was actually thinking that the it would all fit, but i'd have to relicate the exhaust.
because there's a huge gap that runs right under the car, and i thought everything would fit in nicely..
This is a Japanese car, built in America, and imported (also converted for right hand drive) to Australia. odd car is odd.
Also, i would rather have it in RWD than AWD (like a AE86 wannabe).
but smeh, i guess i should stay away from it. mechanics and insurance wouldnt like to find out that i cut the car in half.

Ricksta
10-15-2007, 03:09 AM
would cost you less to just get yourself a 5th gen alltrac imported from japan lol. but if you love your 4th gens just sell all your celica's and get an alltrac and still have money left over for mods.

Cavanagh
10-15-2007, 04:18 AM
would cost you less to just get yourself a 5th gen alltrac imported from japan lol. but if you love your 4th gens just sell all your celica's and get an alltrac and still have money left over for mods.
hmm....i swear you dont read half the stuff you post.
a 4th gen alltrac would still be too much hp.

I'm running a 3SGE, but i'm not planning to sawp it for a 3SGTE because of new laws (young drivers not allowed to have over 200kw of power and no turbo on cars).

Mafix
10-16-2007, 03:39 AM
then swap your GE into and alltrac with a blown motor. you get everything you want.

Murgatroy
10-16-2007, 03:55 AM
then swap your GE into and alltrac with a blown motor. you get everything you want.
That would be a rather interesting swap. Sort of the exact opposite of what the rest of us do. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Also, since you are not in the US, you won't be looking for an Alltrac, you will want a GT-Four.

sneaky
10-21-2007, 11:50 PM
yeaa, not worth it. the compliance is the worst part.
but i still wouldnt mind a newer engine or a rebuild.
how much are GT4's worth? asking because AE-86 is 10k AUD minimum. so i don't know what toyota's are worth if all four wheels are smoking the ground.

Hookecho
10-22-2007, 12:23 AM

i wish the states would adopt such a law! what ages does this law effect over there?

Corey Darling
10-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Whats the definition of young driver? Till you get your full license?

sneaky
10-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Instead of answering yes/no this n that,
I'll review the high-powered vehicle restrictions and P plate system.
Might make it easier.

Last July, QLD transport dept bought out new laws.
there are now 2 kinds of P plates. P1 and P2.
P1 is for 1st year of driving, and P2 lasts for two years after P1.
Those who are under 25, have very strict laws, ie:
no turbo/supercharger,
max power may not exceed 200kw
and not allowed to drive cars with more than 6 cylinders.

those who are 25 and over may have all that stuff.

sadly for me, I'm an 18 y/o kid with a P1 licence.

Hookecho
10-22-2007, 01:37 AM
i like that law. although, it doesn't keep kids from driving fast.

sneaky
10-22-2007, 06:39 AM
yea, i dislike speeding. i also dislike commodorefagz
*ooh look at me, im driving a v8, im a v8 super car driver newf@g*
anywho, my two cents..

i like acceleration. not speeding.
laws have nothing against acceleration.

also: interesting how this thread went from conversions to laws

Tbtim90gt
10-22-2007, 04:38 PM
yeah to continue off topic laws DO have something on acceleration. I know of more then a few people who did nothing but took off kinda quick and didnt even burn out or anything and got a street racing ticket. Hell one of my friends was on a road by himself except for the cop passin by and when he turned onto the road the cop pulled him over and gave him a street racing ticket and he lost his license over that stupid crap.

Corey Darling
10-22-2007, 05:40 PM
That law would suck for me lol. i dont like it.

Im 20 in november... id be screwed. lol

I flew my first plane at age 7, started flight school at 10, got my Private licence at 17 (min age), and i could have grabbed my commercial at 18 if i wasnt so poor. I'm looking to get into the airforce as a pilot. So by the time im 25, id be starting Harvard II jet training....

But i wouldnt be able to own a 20 year old celica till i was 25!!! thats a bit over kill.

cheers

corey

sneaky
10-23-2007, 07:19 AM
perhaps accelerating could be classified as dangerous driving, but i have been witnessed by pigs dragging other random cars (but i always keep it no more than the speed limit), cops actually like to pick on the one who keeps on going past the limit.

also, i went 130 past a radar, and didnt get flashed.
but the other day i was doing 112 and i got flashed!!! like what the hell...
limit is 110.

and one more thing: i don't want to start a new thread for this, because i know that if i search hard enough, the answer will be found. anywho.. :
what would be the easiest swap for st162 (engine + gearbox)??
i have a 3S-GE (possibly gen1) and it has an extreme oil leak (the whole timing belt cover is shooting oil), also i have 282,000k's on it. i think it needs a replacement.
so yea, anything easy? gen2/3/4? (no no to 3Sgte).