PDA

View Full Version : 89 camry DLX questions

zmile06
10-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Im thinking about buying an 89 camry DLX, it needs crap load of bondo and some love.

My questions were what engine does it have in it? It says a v6 but i cant figure out which v6 engine it has.

What is the potential of the car and draw backs? Im only spending 400 on it but i plan on bringing it back to stock looking then maybe some performance additions.

Tell me whats up guys, thanks.

85gtsblackman
10-13-2007, 10:12 PM
2nd gen camry chasiss code sv something

motor if v6 is a 2vzfe 2.5 liter known for hedgasket failure and rod knock shortly after......check head bolt torque, replace all cooling items, use arp head studs w/metal headgaskets if available

recommend late 3rd gen camry with bullet proof 1mzfe engine that rarely fails, car usally comes in green exterior with tan interior

zmile06
10-13-2007, 10:55 PM
compression check down the PSI is about 10 less then min. Im not sure how low its supose to be to check for head gasket. So i dunno.

Mr Celica
10-14-2007, 02:14 AM
if it was a 4 banger i'd say go with it, i've never had ANY luck with those V6s. very few around anymore, and thats for a reason. with any late 80s early 90s camry you're going to get a lot of rust above both wheel wells. the front fenders are cheap and easy to replace, you can always cut out and weld new panels on the rear if you're handy.

but yea, definately look into the HGs, they tend to blow. $400 isn't bad if the engine is still good. like i said, rust on a late 80s camry is a given.

geebes
10-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Besides, 89 camrys are ugly...hold out and buy a mid 90s one.

Rix86
10-14-2007, 07:00 PM
400 dollars who gives a shit.
drive it till it dies, then scrap it.
If it's rusted..... scrap metal.
shittiest front suspension toyota ever had.......
Making them run and drive nice can be a shitload of money, and it'll still be a shitty driving car.
If you just want a beater to get you around for a while... perfect.
They're getting too old to be worth fixing for what they are.