PDA

View Full Version : Clunking rear.. on an '03 with 30K.....hmmm

tito_celi_driver
10-11-2007, 05:06 AM
My mother owns an '03 GTS (yeah, i get the '93 she gets the VVTL-i...haha) and has been complaining about it being noisy, finally got to take it for a spin today and it sounds like the rear drivers side is clunking, can't believe that anything could be going bad so quickly...this car only sees a few miles a week... but i was wondering if this was a common problem or if there was a good (and cheap) starting point to track down the noise. I'm thinking either swaybar bushings or endlinks but i'm by no means a susension expert. the noise is like a dull rattle, not really a metal on metal sound, and it's only on the one side, it was dark so i didn't have a chance to really take a look at anything. any help getting pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.

vip09
10-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Make sure all the lug nuts are tight. My guess would be swaybar endlink came loose.

geebes
10-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Did you check something very simple like the rear seats hadn't been clicked all the way into position...or even like the tire jack has come loose?

tito_celi_driver
10-11-2007, 05:58 AM
I was hoping someone would say that, means i'm on the right track, and hopefully won't have to part with any hard earned $$$...

celicaGT90_05
10-11-2007, 06:04 AM
it could be the sway bar, if it is firmly in place jack up the rear end and give each tire a shake, if you have bad wheel bearings they can cause noises

tito_celi_driver
10-11-2007, 06:17 AM
as far as checking seats..etc. i'm certain that it's a suspension noise , i'm very familiar with the difference thanks to my old '87 gt that had a noisy everything, would fix one only to notice another mystery noise :thumbsdow so that i have pretty well locked down... just can't decide exactly what it is...
and thanks GT90_05 i am gonna do some investigation tomorrow morning but didn't think to check wheel bearings. i'm just having a hard time believing that a car... a Celica no less... that's still teething it's so young would already be developing similar problems i'm just now running into with my '93 that didn't have a single part changed until i bought it 3 years ago with 150K on the clock.

tito_celi_driver
10-11-2007, 06:19 AM
BTW, GT90_05... where are you in OH? I'm in Ashtabula... east of Cleveland.

celicaGT90_05
10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm down in Chillicothe, which is an hour directly south of Columbus