PDA

View Full Version : Update on my 7AFTE progress

EvilSpeeder
02-15-2005, 05:51 AM
My car is running very well! I'm now running 10psi daily on 93 octane. The car has a decent tune on it although I think I'm still going to modify a spare fuel rail and ditch the stock regulator so I can lower the base pressure some more. I'm still a little lean at tip in, but I'm making progress on that. All my tuning has been done with a wideband on the street so I don't have any numbers yet but this thing is fast! The plugs look good and are not showing any signs of detonation and neither is the knock sensor. I'm beginning to think that 12psi on a stock motor is not out of the question. Even the stock clutch seems to be doing just fine at 10psi.

If I get a good tax return I'll start building the other motor and tranny. I don't think 250-275whp is out of the question at this point.

I haven't gotten to run any really fast cars yet but several mustang GTs have seen my tail lights. I can't wait to get this car to the track. It's going to be tough to launch, but it's sooooo fun. I can't wait to get it out to the road course either. I think big brakes have moved up on the priority list. I hit the shift light in 5th the other day (somewhere around 130). The car still had a lot of pull at 130. With the current tire size it's gear limited to somewhere around 155-160 (depending on tire growth) and I'm starting to think it will do it. If things are still going well at the first texas mile event this year I'm going to run it just to see.

I've totally been slacking on the video, but I'll try to get some soon. I need to charge my camera. I'll also try to post some data logs for everyone to take a look at. There are still a few areas that I have questions about.

Snafu
02-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Jesus man, you rock. I'd get yourself an aeromotive FPR and take care of that lean spot. Good progress man. Can't wait to see the videos.

EvilSpeeder
02-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I've got about 300 miles on it and I'm driving it pretty hard. The only problem I've had was a crack in my dp that I had to repair. The weld is really ugly now, but it's holding. Other than that it's been dead reliable. I think the crack had something to do with the motor moving around too much, so I filled my mounts with stainless rods and polyurethane.

http://evilspeed.com/misc_pics/Celica_Turbo/mount_1.jpg

http://evilspeed.com/misc_pics/Celica_Turbo/mount_2.jpg

It's stiff, but the motor doesn't move around much at all. Vibration in the car is noticible, but not obnoxious.

Lagos
02-15-2005, 04:00 PM
try not to get boost happy and turning up and up the boost, cause thats how a lot of people have lost their motors. 10psi sounds like a good number and the motor will probably last longer then it would at 12psi.

zipstrips had a similar setup on his car and was at about 180hp at 10psi.

Hooligan
02-15-2005, 04:03 PM
EvilSpeeder, sounds like a sweet setup that you have figured out pretty well! Keep us updated if you ever make it to any of the tracks!

Did Zipstrips or anyone else ever figure out why he kept blowing motors? Improper tune or what?

EvilSpeeder
02-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Zip always had a lot of issues with his setup. I don't think it was really very well thought out. I'm running all the time with the wideband and logging every drive I take. I read the plugs about once a day. I've also figured out that I can tell a lot about the condition of the motor (and the oil) just from watching the knock sensor count. I can literally see the oil thin out as the motor gets up to temp. I haven't seen any detonation on it, or any signs of detonation on the plugs as of yet. I'll probably continue to run 10psi but I would like to get some race gas and dyno at 12 or 13 just to put down some numbers. Everybody that I've raced is just floored at how fast the car is. I need to run an srt4 or something similarly documented to get an idea where I'm at.

Here are some videos. They're not that great because I'm trying to hold the camera. I'll put my video camera in the car sometime soon so I can take some decent video.

This is rolling through 1st gear and full throttle through second and into 3rd. (http://evilspeed.com/misc_pics/Celica_Turbo/PICT0738.MOV)

This is a 4th gear pull from about 70. I was in traffic so I didn't want to do much. (http://evilspeed.com/misc_pics/Celica_Turbo/PICT0740.MOV)

The dump exhaust is pretty gnarly. I need to get the full exhaust finished.

nuclearhappines
02-15-2005, 04:37 PM
good job on your build
you're gearing on that car is great, very tight power band .... if you put some cams in it, it would do very well

seems like you're spooling around 4k ?

Lagos
02-15-2005, 04:40 PM
looking good!

EvilSpeeder
02-15-2005, 04:47 PM
good job on your build
you're gearing on that car is great, very tight power band .... if you put some cams in it, it would do very well

seems like you're spooling around 4k ?

The 'e' cams are actually pretty good, theres not much overlap. I might gain a little bit from more lift, but not much. I don't think I would want to change the duration or opening/closing events much. Some mild port reshaping would be even better. I have lots of ideas for the new motor. I'm hoping it will be a model of how to build a strong motor on the relatively cheap.

I haven't really paid much attention, but it does spool before 4k. The first video was about half throttle through first gear. There is no traction. I need to re-adjust my boost controller. The way it's currently set-up it's hurting my boost response some. The thing should spool between 3200 and 3600.

nuclearhappines
02-15-2005, 04:52 PM
you might want to look into this : p

http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248486&highlight=turbo+bob+ecu

Snafu
02-15-2005, 07:46 PM
What are you using to sense knock?

EvilSpeeder
02-15-2005, 08:40 PM
What are you using to sense knock?

Stock knock sensor and SAFCII. It's not as good as say, a J&S unit, but it's a lot better than nothing. It takes quite a bit of observation to figure out what's just engine noise and whats really knock, but it's not too bad once you figure it out.

nuclearhappines
02-15-2005, 10:29 PM
300zx and some chevy guys have this trick where they take out the knock sensor, put a few rounds of pipe joint tape on it, and screw it back in ... supposedly it helps filter out fake knock , engine noise ...etc

has anyone tried this on a 3sgte ?

-nuke

EvilSpeeder
02-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Hmmm, that sounds interesting. I'll give it a try when I get unlazy.

It's weird how much you can tell by watching it though. It's really obvious when it's time to change the oil.

Snafu
02-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Didn't know that the 7afe had a knock sensor. I know I don't have on (90 4AFE). That's very interesting.... I'm not 100% on the sensor, but if I picked up a used one, could I possibly drill a hole in the block, and use the SAFC?

nuclearhappines
02-16-2005, 12:06 AM
yes you could snafu ... it won't be perfect...according to sport compact car (and i know they're not the greatest tech place to go) ... getting a sensor from a similar car (similar engine , similar construction ... ie aluminum block with this style head ...blah blah blah) the knock sensor should carry over pretty well ... so if you're going with a 7afe or a later gen 4afe/4age sensor i think you would be alright...

"It's really obvious when it's time to change the oil."

yeah luni posted about it a while back, his DSM buddy showed him on the logger how being a 1/4 quart low on the reserve (ie you're above the Low mark on the dipstick but you're not topped off all the way) causes the valvetrain to run a little noisier and has been proven via the datalogger to cause the ECU to sense knock and pull timing.

iburnslabs
02-17-2005, 05:08 AM
i hit 18 psi on my old setup lol (alot)... but ya id say 10 psi on a good tune (dyno) would be the optimal setup for the 7afe. i ran my car into the ground for a bout a year at 12+ psi levels and the new owner put a new motor in it less than 10K miles after I sold it to him (with a $100 deductable warranty)so no im that big of an asshole :)

iburnslabs
02-17-2005, 05:10 AM
o ya.. might want to up your riv limiter by about 200 -400 rpms or so too.. if your looking to get a little more power out of the motor..... i know the rods are thin but i think it can handle a "little" more revs safely

EvilSpeeder
02-17-2005, 03:33 PM
i hit 18 psi on my old setup lol (alot)... but ya id say 10 psi on a good tune (dyno) would be the optimal setup for the 7afe. i ran my car into the ground for a bout a year at 12+ psi levels and the new owner put a new motor in it less than 10K miles after I sold it to him (with a $100 deductable warranty)so no im that big of an asshole :)

Nice. How many miles did that motor have on it to begin with?

undecided
02-17-2005, 04:21 PM
damn, i can hear the engine from ur vid just not see the picts bc i dont have .mov shit