PDA

View Full Version : Push button starter

Maleek
10-10-2007, 12:54 AM
I plan on putting one in my car. Basically wiring the button to the ignition wires in the steering colom with a relay of course. Anybody ever done this? is there a step by step guide i missed? Basically anybody with know how or past experience to show me what to look for please chime in. Thanks :bigthumbu

Hookecho
10-10-2007, 01:08 AM
i put a push button start in my buddies st for him. it was over 2 years ago though, and i don't remember much about it. in all honesty if you have to put the key in the ignition to unlock the steering wheel you mine as well turn it a hair further and start the car. not saying that you shouldn't do it though. it does look cool.

Murgatroy
10-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Trace the starter switch wires off the ignition switch. Run those to the pushbutton. There will be a relay factory between the key and the starter. I have never done it, but I don't see it being complicated.

Where are you going to mount the switch? I always thought where the lighter is would be a nice spot.

extremeskillz
10-10-2007, 01:23 AM
What hard about turning the key? :hehe: Na, just trace your wiring to where and how the engine starts and put a switch in there somehow, somewhere!

Maleek
10-10-2007, 01:35 AM
Trace the starter switch wires off the ignition switch. Run those to the pushbutton. There will be a relay factory between the key and the starter. I have never done it, but I don't see it being complicated.

Where are you going to mount the switch? I always thought where the lighter is would be a nice spot.

I was thinking in the lighter spot, it would make it less visible in my opinion. We'll see. would a 40amp replay be good? and also, what guage is the stock wiring?

Murgatroy
10-10-2007, 01:40 AM
A 40 amp relay would be fine. The BGBs should have the wiring diagram for you.

andy
10-10-2007, 03:23 AM
easy, pull the lower plastic and find the ign assybly, you know where the key goes. there will be a white female plug with a black male plug in it with a bunch of thick wires. The white wire goes directly to the battery. the solid black one the starter. if you touch the black to the white, the starter will engage. Splice these into your button. white on one wire black on the other. If its a true engine start button you wont need a relay or anything. but make sure other wise you risk a fire.

Maleek
10-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Thanks alot man! but just to be extra cautious, im still putting a relay in, i dont want to set the car onfire with me in it lol.

andy
10-10-2007, 04:38 AM
true that yo. good luck take some pics when your done.

Maleek
10-10-2007, 04:52 AM
My car is in the bodyshop getting rust removal done and getting painted, but ill forsure takes some pic of my car and the button when i'm done.