PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean intake manifold?

Kiasis
10-09-2007, 06:55 PM
I've seen how bad the butterfly valve on a throttle body can get w/ carbon build up, and assume the inside of the manifold isn't much prettier. I'm gonna have mine off replacing gaskets and the fuel rail and wonder if there's a good way to really clean out the manifold? Or, is the best way to just run Sea Foam through the system when the engine's running?

I'm also sending my injectors off to Witch Hunter for a clean/balance/flow rate and am considering if I should include my cold start injector. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Ricksta
10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
why are you going to spend all that money to clean your stock injectors?!?! you'll be spending more then what thier worth.

evolution
10-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I've seen how bad the butterfly valve on a throttle body can get w/ carbon build up, and assume the inside of the manifold isn't much prettier. I'm gonna have mine off replacing gaskets and the fuel rail and wonder if there's a good way to really clean out the manifold? Or, is the best way to just run Sea Foam through the system when the engine's running?

I'm also sending my injectors off to Witch Hunter for a clean/balance/flow rate and am considering if I should include my cold start injector. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Sea Foam does a good job, not as good as hot tanking of course. If you do go with Sea Foam, pull off your mid pipe (if you have a cat) as it can foul things up pretty good.

I wouldn't bother with the cold start injector unless I was having trouble with cold starts.

why are you going to spend all that money to clean your stock injectors?!?! you'll be spending more then what thier worth.

Injectors are not cheap, unless you buy junk ebay ones, think around $130 each from stealership?

PS
They, their, they're and there (http://www.usingenglish.com/quizzes/75.html)

celicaGT90_05
10-09-2007, 08:14 PM
for the intake, if you're gonna take it off I'd recommend carb cleaner and a rag to wipe it out, that would be most effective. What I would do is spray the intake nice and good, then use a wire to pull the wrag through

anachranerd
10-09-2007, 09:03 PM
For mine, I went and got one of those large plastic tubs at walmart, and a few gallons of diesel. Fill the intake runners to the brim with diesel, plug the vacuum outlets, and let it soak all night. In the morning all kinds of tarry black stuff will come gushing out. I tried with brakekleen and a brush, ended up not getting jack shit off after hours of sprayign and scrubbing. For the butterfly valve, let it bathe in diesel overnight as well. It'll be shiny and new. :bigthumbu

--seriously though, the carbon in the intake runners is NASTY and STUBBORN.

Kiasis
10-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, you can't even get my 3SGE injectors from the dealer ($175 ea. when you could) and I'd rather clean/rebuild my Toyota ones for $17 each than buy generic rebuilt aftermarket injectors at $40-70 each from Rock Auto.

As for the cold start, it's been a bit sluggish, but that may well be because of my air/fuel mixture problems I hope to solve w/ the correct (and clean) injectors and no exhaust leaks in the intake manifold. I just thought for $17 I might as well ensure the cold start injector is also up to spec since that's a $150-250 part to replace.

For the intake, I have AFM cleaner, carb cleaner, and Sea Foam Deep Creep. Think good ol' regular carb cleaner is best?

Kiasis
10-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Diesel-fuel-in-a-tub. I like that idea. Got lots of both around the farm. Thanks.

extremeskillz
10-10-2007, 01:15 AM
carb cleaner or wd-40 for lubrication.

extremeskillz
10-10-2007, 01:16 AM
and injectors a bowl with cleaner and let them soak.

Hookecho
10-10-2007, 01:28 AM
get a large pipe brush and some carb cleaner. you can also us a toilet brush.

85gtsblackman
10-10-2007, 01:48 AM
remanufactured oem injectors can be had cheap, i got a set a few months back for 160, was worth it, and they are actuall nippon denso reman injectors.

shop in town cleans and balances em for 10 bucks a pop, usally after 10 years or 200,000 miles there shot.

as for the manifold/tb its best to hot tank em, this will insure all crud is gone. if u somehow cant find a shop with one or dont have time theres a sure fire process ive done that works every time

1st get a big pan, barrel, bucket, ect, big enough to submerge the manifold in

then get however manay gallons of parts cleaner, or mineral spirits, or gas u need

after that get a bottle bush and straiten it out to put on a drill, and a small nipple brush for the runners

get new gaskets and gasket eater for the old ones, or a wire wheel/brush

now sink the manifold in the bucket of cleaner for at least a half hour if u have years of shit in there. Then attach the bottle brush to the drill and clean out the plentum part, sink the manifold a fe times to help get out crud, same with runners. let sit for at least another 15 minutes, get off all old gasket material with wire wheel or bush, sink manifold again for a few seconds, dry with compressed air or let sit in vented area.