PDA

View Full Version : lowered celicas.. what springs and struts are you using?

tim93coupe
02-15-2005, 04:06 AM
i need to replace my suspension soon. springs, struts, shocks and all. it's been riding on blown factory replacements for a while.

anywho, i'm getting the eibach prokit, anybody else run these springs and what do you use for shocks/struts?

Luis C
02-15-2005, 05:38 AM
Eibach Prokit on Bilstein shocks :D

tim93coupe
02-15-2005, 06:26 AM
here is what i found out on bilstein.com

celica 89-93 (exc. all-trac); from 10/89
front,PNE-3140-BK back,VNE-4950-BK(L)
front,PNE-3140-BK back,VNE-4951-BK(R)

according to the application guide on their site, none of these are suitable for cars with lowering springs, so i'm assuming you have a different kind from what i listed above. what is the part number of what you have and where'd you get them from? i've always heard good things about bilstein and would like to get some if i can find the right ones

wrongboy
02-15-2005, 06:48 AM
I am running Eiback sportlines with KYB gas struts. I have had this set up for almost three years, I love it over all. Decent ride, good performance- way better than stock.

-wrongboy

deuce
02-15-2005, 07:17 AM
im running eibach sportslines with Stock shocks....the front end is ok t'ill now...the back end needs to be changed....

i guess i'll go with the kyb's setup soon....

Luis C
02-15-2005, 05:40 PM
here is what i found out on bilstein.com

celica 89-93 (exc. all-trac); from 10/89
front,PNE-3140-BK back,VNE-4950-BK(L)
front,PNE-3140-BK back,VNE-4951-BK(R)

according to the application guide on their site, none of these are suitable for cars with lowering springs, so i'm assuming you have a different kind from what i listed above. what is the part number of what you have and where'd you get them from? i've always heard good things about bilstein and would like to get some if i can find the right ones

No, as a matter of fact those are the ones I got since Bilstein does NOT make a high performance shock (ie. for use with lowering springs) for our cars.
Koni is the only maker that has a high performance application but at $ 640 a set (Koni Sport yellows) I decided to give the Bilsteins a try.

I got the Bilsteins eventhough they are direct replacement shocks because the other brands I've used before (KYB and Tokico) don't last much on shorter springs but the difference is huge. I remembered when I had the Tokico the suspension was great, very confortable not harsh; Bilsteins on the other side is a far more stiff shock, I can feel every crack and hole on the road, when I hit anything the car feels like it was going to come apart but the handling is superb.

It would be a matter of time and see how long will the Bilsteins stand. Tokicos lasted some 20.000 Km and the Bilsteins have only had as much as 3.000 Km so there is still road ahead

tim93coupe
02-15-2005, 06:02 PM
i definately would like to firm up the suspension a bit, but unfortunately the roads where i live are shotty at best. there's crappy railroad tracks, potholes, lots of uneven lanes, i may have to go with something less stiff - which sucks because it sounds like the bilsteins handle really well (which is what i'm aiming for). i'll keep looking around.

D Devil
02-15-2005, 07:31 PM
H&R springs on KYB's.

Luis C
02-15-2005, 11:15 PM
i definately would like to firm up the suspension a bit, but unfortunately the roads where i live are shotty at best. there's crappy railroad tracks, potholes, lots of uneven lanes.

If I lived in america I would buy the Bilsteins, my complaint is because the roads here are uber crap. There is no smooth surfaced road here, they are all cracked and filled with holes, manholes with no covers, pipes sticking out, lousy paving jobs, tree roots running under roads and lifting the pavement, cement batch on asphalt roads and asphalt batches on cement roads.... complety sucks :madfawk:

tim93coupe
02-15-2005, 11:19 PM
they are all cracked and filled with holes, manholes with no covers, pipes sticking out, lousy paving jobs, tree roots running under roads and lifting the pavement, cement batch on asphalt roads and asphalt batches on cement roads

damn man haha, i thought it sucked up here. i may still get the bilstein cuz i want the handling. where'd you get them from?

ray_sir_6
02-16-2005, 01:39 AM
Konis w/ Ground Control Coilovers. Costly, but cheap for an adjustable coilover. Will work for both rough and smooth roads, since you can tone down the struts for smoother ride.

Luis C
02-16-2005, 01:55 AM
http://www.proamauto.com/page15bbiltch5.htm

This is the cheapest place I've seenthem

Tommy91GT
02-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Ground Control Coilovers on KYBs

tim93coupe
02-16-2005, 08:48 AM
hey luis, how's your ride height with the pro-kit? is it dropped exactly 1" or did it drop more (and/or maybe settle in and drop a bit more?)

i was going with the pro-kit at first, then i thought that maybe 1" wasn't enough (maybe i should get sportlines), now i'm thinking again, i might be better off with the pro-kit .. plus i'm thinking the slight change in ride height from stock won't kill the bilsteins as fast as the sportlines would. decisions decisions

tim93coupe
02-16-2005, 08:49 AM
slick looking car you got there tommy91

Tommy91GT
02-16-2005, 08:50 AM
thx

Mr E
02-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Toyota front shocks (nothing wrong with the stockers on a GT4)
KYB uprated rears (stiffen the back end up)
TRD springs (-25mm)
TRD Topmounts
New camber control joints
New lower arms
Rear whiteline ARB (adjustable)

Handles rather well now.

Luis C
02-16-2005, 05:33 PM
When first installed (Tokico shocks) the car drop exatly 1' all around. The car is level and the rear is not higher in anyway. Feder gap was reduced to more than tolerable levels on the stock 205/55/15 tires (i can stick 1 and a half finger between the tires and the fender on the rear) so there is no rubbing even when the suspension travels all the way up.

With the Bilsteins the car dropped a tad more (maybe a quarter of an inch but
I haven't figured out why, not that I complain tho :D ) but still even in front and rear, after 3 years with the Prokit the car still sits at the same hight as day 1.

P.D. Make sure you buy a camber kit for the rear wheels, you will need it. I lost a set of Toyo Proxes T1-S because I neglected to install the camber kit so the tires wore out on the inside and didn't notice until it was to late (steel webbing started to show)

tim93coupe
02-16-2005, 07:22 PM
is the camber kit need for the pro-kit, sportlines, or both?

Luis C
02-16-2005, 09:17 PM
I know that I needed it with the Prokit, my guess is that you would need it even more with the Sport line since the car will go lower thus generating more negative camber

tim93coupe
02-16-2005, 10:24 PM
alright, thanks luis

SilverCel
02-17-2005, 03:41 PM
shoot - i need a camber kit and all i got is wheels. stock suspension.

andycaca
03-11-2005, 05:01 PM
im using jamex lowering springs on standard 16 year old shocks. the ride is "interesting" to say the least!
this coming week, i will be test fitting 205 rear shocks to my 165 - if they fit then it opens up another avenue :)

Swing Fixer
03-12-2005, 07:47 PM
I've currently got Hotchkis Springs on stock shocks. In a week or so, I'll be running Hotchkis Springs with Koni Yellows all around, Tanabe strut tower brace (upper front), and front and rear Tanabe under braces.

Plans for Hotchkis Sways down the road.

All this will be on 18x7 rims.....on the stock 16's right now.

Oz^
03-13-2005, 05:35 AM
Hey Tim, i'm stuck with the same dilemma as you. I was leaning more toward the pro kit, fearing that the sportline would be too low. There are harsh winters here in Saskatchewan, so too low would cause the car to bottom out in deep snow. The roads are pretty shitty here too, anyone from Alberta knows its true:hehe:
There is a pretty good comparison of the pro vs the sportline on the Eibach website http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/00526.1.638590044800016663. The height of the stock springs of the mustang look a bit too high to me tho, But I haven't really paid that much attention to mustangs to notice something like that.

bloodredgt
03-13-2005, 08:13 PM
i don't see why people aren't considering H&R springs. I myself was about to get the eibach prokit until david in germany told me about H&R springs. To say the least, I do not regret getting H&Rs at all. If I had a chance to go back in time and choose between the pro kit and H&Rs, I would choose the H&Rs again. I'm riding on factory shocks. Hasn't given me any problems yet. The H&Rs were giving me the exact drop I was looking for. Something not to low as the sportlines and something that doesn't drop enough like the pro kit. Right in the middle between the 1.5" and 1" drops of the sportline and prokit springs were the H&Rs!!! At a 1.3" drop for front and back, It's perfect. My wheels don't rub (running 205/50/ZR16), the wheel gap is gone and the handling is just phenomenal.

I RECOMMEND H&Rs TO YOU GUYS. Supra owners know what I'm talking about. If they don't go with coilovers, they go with H&R springs.

dman
03-14-2005, 01:09 AM
hey bloodred, i was thinking of putting either prokits or h&r's on my stock shocks, well monroe's which i believe are the equivalent of oems, but how long have u been riding on those? i really dont want to have to get new shocks for the springs. how much did they cost you? any pics b4 and after to compare?

jburner21
03-14-2005, 03:36 AM
i don't see why people aren't considering H&R springs. I myself was about to get the eibach prokit until david in germany told me about H&R springs. To say the least, I do not regret getting H&Rs at all. If I had a chance to go back in time and choose between the pro kit and H&Rs, I would choose the H&Rs again. I'm riding on factory shocks. Hasn't given me any problems yet. The H&Rs were giving me the exact drop I was looking for. Something not to low as the sportlines and something that doesn't drop enough like the pro kit. Right in the middle between the 1.5" and 1" drops of the sportline and prokit springs were the H&Rs!!! At a 1.3" drop for front and back, It's perfect. My wheels don't rub (running 205/50/ZR16), the wheel gap is gone and the handling is just phenomenal.

I RECOMMEND H&Rs TO YOU GUYS. Supra owners know what I'm talking about. If they don't go with coilovers, they go with H&R springs.

Just curious, but do the H&Rs maintain the sort of forward lean that I've noticed that the celica seems to have? (maybe my 5th gen doesn't really lean forward and I'm jus crazy....)

Toyota_Todd
03-14-2005, 03:38 AM
My 2 cents and suspension experiences

I had H&R's on the 1993 Camry SE V6 and loved them. They are top notch. The quality control on the springs and their spacers are awesome. I would definately recommend H&Rs.

The 2001 Solara has OEM struts with the TRD drop springs. Decent ride, OK handling, but not near as smooth as OEM solara suspension. You feel every pothole and pavement transition.

The 1990 Celica All-Trac has new KYB front strut cartridges and new OEM rear strut assemblies on TRD 1" drop springs. More sporting than OEM but still comfortable.

The 1992 Celica All-Trac has GAB 4 way adjustable struts on all four corners with Intrax 1.5" (more like 2+") drop springs. Very, Very, Very STIFF. You can put a finger tip in between the front tire and the fender....Did I mention it was stiff even on the softest setting? It also has a whiteline rear sway bar. This is definately not the combo I would recommend for a daily driven Celica, but its great for the track and weekends.

SilverCel
03-14-2005, 06:11 AM
What does the read swaybar do to the car? I'm about to install my Suspension Techniques rear sway bar (adjustable) and just wondering.

bloodredgt
03-14-2005, 06:19 AM
hey bloodred, i was thinking of putting either prokits or h&r's on my stock shocks, well monroe's which i believe are the equivalent of oems, but how long have u been riding on those? i really dont want to have to get new shocks for the springs. how much did they cost you? any pics b4 and after to compare?

i've been riding with the H&Rs and stock shocks for about 5 months now. No problems so far. The total price was $207.90 shipped to my door from cardomain.com I wouldn't recommend ordering from them though because they took a month to ship it. I called after 2 weeks passed by (it was 3-5 business days after order is put in) and they said they didn't have it in stock... and were getting it the next day to ship out. Didn't happen till the month ended. Pissed me off real good.

The pictures don't show too much but yeah, better than nothing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/coreanguy86/CopyofPicture009.jpg
this picture is when i just got my 7th gen wheel put on. The picture was at a downward angle towards the car so the wheel gap wouldn't blair out (it was to make the picture look as pretty as possible)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/coreanguy86/f5ad766d.jpg
here's another while i was riding on the highway with my friends. stock springs and shocks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/coreanguy86/image068.jpg
after from a crouching position at eyelevel with the headlights. H&R springs on stock shocks camera phone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/coreanguy86/image069.jpg
another picture of my car with the H&Rs on. Camera phone. was bored while waiting for zero period, so i got out of the car and took this picture LOL :laugh:

jburner21 - I never noticed the "forward lean" you're talking about.

tim93coupe
03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
i have no doubts that the h&r springs are good. they race what they sell so i'm sure they are quality.

i'm personally leaning towards eibachs because i've ridden in cars with eibachs before, and every celica i've seen with the pro-kit i though it looked very good.

i haven't ordered the eibachs yet because everybody i checked with said they were outta stock or they were backordered. but this was 2 weeks ago, been working too much lately and i haven't checked back to see who has them in stock.

bloodredgt
03-14-2005, 08:48 PM
check tirerack.com

dman
03-14-2005, 11:05 PM
hey thanks blood, looks good man, how long have u been running the stock shock and hr spring setup?

slvrblt
03-15-2005, 12:20 AM
i got my h&r sport springs from tirerack and they cost less than the eibach pro kit.
i have had the h&r's on for about 9 months now on kyb struts and the car still handles great.

Hooligan
03-15-2005, 12:40 AM
I ended up getting my Pro-Kit for less than Tire Rack's price off of eBay from a reputable power seller. They arrived at my apartment very quickly.

I've been very happy with the Eibach setup on stock shocks. Ride is good enough that my girlfriend has never complained, she just said it felt "different". :)

bloodredgt
03-15-2005, 01:44 AM
I ended up getting my Pro-Kit for less than Tire Rack's price off of eBay from a reputable power seller. They arrived at my apartment very quickly.

I've been very happy with the Eibach setup on stock shocks. Ride is good enough that my girlfriend has never complained, she just said it felt "different". :)

lol, gotta love that... "different" Some girls that have ridden in my car say that it feels like their butts are touching the ground. :laugh:

But they say it feels special. :wiggle:

Dman- I've been riding on factory shock + H&R spring combo for 5 months now

Galcobar
03-15-2005, 02:11 AM
bloodredgt -- which H&R springs did you get, OEM Sport, Sport or Race?

sloceli
03-15-2005, 03:10 PM
I've been running the pro-kit w/ new oem struts and mounts for two years. Body roll has been cut in half but I have lost my rear twice on wet roads, going slow.

dman
03-15-2005, 09:29 PM
hey hooligan, so its ok to run eibachs on perhaps monroe shocks?

bloodredgt
03-16-2005, 01:43 AM
bloodredgt -- which H&R springs did you get, OEM Sport, Sport or Race?

Sport

Rayme
03-16-2005, 01:48 AM
alright, eibachs are the next mod on my list ;)

SilverCel
03-16-2005, 04:32 PM
what do u mean lost your rear?

sloceli
03-16-2005, 04:52 PM
I spun out. I was only going 20-25 the first time and did a 270. The second was about 10 mph I was able to recover that one, that was with 2 passengers and a huge speaker box. Could have been my Blizaks though.