PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it

celicaGT90_05
10-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Well, back to the oil leak situation, turns out the leak is either a seal for the crank shaft pully or cam shaft in which it requires me tearing down in to the timing belt and replacing a seal. Well, my motor has about 215k on it already, so would it be worth replacing that seal or should I just seak out another motor?

Murgatroy
10-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Rebuild the current one to stock specs. Safer bet IMO than taking your luck on another 5SFE.

If you are seeking a 3SGTE, go for it.

celicaGT90_05
10-05-2007, 06:09 AM
well the motor still runs strong, it doesnt burn oil any more than normal, theres no signs of sludge, no crust in the oil fill inlet or varnish on the dipstick, doesnt feel like its bein held back cuz it pulls strong even on the highway, the only issue is the leak, which may also be the oil pump. The problem is I dont have much money currently so I cant go for the 3SGTE just yet, but not sure if it would be worth while to replace the seal, what exactly do you mean rebuild it to stock specs?

celicaGT90_05
10-06-2007, 02:40 AM
bump...it may also be the oil pump since its ran by the timing belt, but what do you guys think? I'm probably gonna tear it down tomorrow and have a look

Mr Celica
10-06-2007, 03:32 AM
cuz it pulls strong even on the highway,

haha a 5sfe that pulls strong on the highway?! you have a rare car my friend! lolz

fix the leak, its not too bad of a job, the worst part i thought was getting the crankshaft pulley off. if you take the motor mount out, pop off the timing belt cover, undo the timing belt, take off the crankshaft pulley and all that junk you can see the oil pump and all the seals. there is usually some oil there, its a common thing in these cars. the seals come right out and they aren't too much money. you can get a new oil pump and seal while you're at it and take a look at the water pump because you can replace that while everything is out of the way, if needed. i did just incase, it saves time in the long run if it shits the bed again and you have to take all that shit off again.

easiest way to get the crankshaft pulley off is wait till the engine is cold so the metal isn't expanded and it can come off easier. i learned that the hard way.

and o ya don't forget to change the timing belt :)

and if you do get another engine, you're going to want to do this stuff too while the engine is out of the car.

celicaGT90_05
10-06-2007, 04:20 AM
well yeah that 5SFE just cruises right up to 100 pretty easily lol but that may be because of it havin close to no interior. I think I'm gonna just replace the seal, how did you go about removing the crank shaft pulley? I know theres special tools for the job, is that what you used?

91 Celica GT-S
10-06-2007, 05:02 AM
3 jaw puller is best, i did a timing belt on a 6th gen and i pulled it off by hand, prying with large screwdrivers and prybars may also work but be carefull not to damage anything.
ive had 2 oil pump seals go bad on me never had problems with the cam or crank seals

celicaGT90_05
10-06-2007, 05:05 AM
well I mean when loosening the belt, whats the best way to do that since the pully will spin when just using a wrench

Mr Celica
10-06-2007, 05:39 PM
there is a tensioner that you use to tighten and loosen the belt. its the only pulley not attached to anything. just losen the nut thats there and it loosens the belt.

celicaGT90_05
10-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm not talkin about pullin the belt off, Im talkin about getting the pully off lol

burnyd
10-06-2007, 09:35 PM
for the amount of mileage I would just drive it into the ground... do a 3sgte swap when you blow up.

celicaGT90_05
10-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I dont wunna have to keep filling it up with oil though, I already got the top timing cover off anyway and its not that bad, just a lot of work and working around a somewhat tight space. I do beleive its the oil pump though, but man was that car mistreated...I am missing quite a few bolts from the timing covers. I'll let you guys know how it goes, from this point it should go fairly smoothly, the hardest part I've had so far was removing the motor mount but even that wasnt REAL bad. And hey, if I get it fixed and the motor goes I wont feel too bad, I still love working on cars, but that motor runs so good I'd prefer to risk it and see how well it does from now on