PDA

View Full Version : No Stock BOV in '90 Celica All-trac 3S-GTE?

yangster_boi2002
10-02-2007, 04:29 PM
How come the 3S-GTE Celica's don't have a BOV like the MR2 does? And does the celica's even have a BOV stock?

vip09
10-02-2007, 04:32 PM
No.

19celica90
10-02-2007, 04:34 PM
the 90' celica all-trac does not have any sort of a blow off valve from the factory. I always wondered why because the mr2 did come with a blow off valve.

yangster_boi2002
10-02-2007, 04:34 PM
How does it work without a stock BOV?
And where can i get the pipings to have a BOV for my stock intercooler to the turbo?

19celica90
10-02-2007, 04:36 PM
it just does, if u have the tmic u can get a flange welded on and put your blow off valve on. if you have a fmic you could buy a pipe w. the flange already on it or you could buy a flange and weld it on to one of ur pipes

yangster_boi2002
10-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Well yea. But do you know any website taht are selling the pippings for a tmic. and how do i wire for the BOV. i think it has some vaccuum hoses connected to somewhere but yea.. cant you help out?

19celica90
10-02-2007, 04:44 PM
well it depends on what type of bov you want. in my case, i went with the HKS SSQV(ver. 1) I went with a front mount so i went on to ebay and typed in hks ssqv flange, and they had millions of people selling just the weld on flange in aluminum, ss steel anythine u want. if ure gunna keep the top mount just do the same thing and weld it on the the top mount's hot side, where your turbo is clamped to. THeres a couple places where u can find a vac source, look behind your intake manifold, theres a vac line capped off, u can use that

19celica90
10-02-2007, 04:56 PM
if youre not wanting to weld anything, i think samco makes a silicone coupler that u can use that has a spot for a blow off valve and all u do is clamp on your flange

geebes
10-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Turbos don't need bov's...hell, some don't even have intercoolers. Its better for the turbo if you have one (it doesn't have backflow pressure), but it isn't necessary.

HKS' ssbov is great for sound and works really well (granted I don't have experience with any other.) You can mount this up with some custom flange work with the existing intercooler, or you could go FMIC...the choice is yours young padawan. If you plan to do much work to your car, the FMIC is the better route.

I didn't know that the mr2's had bovs...is their boost pressure higher maybe?

19celica90
10-02-2007, 06:46 PM
yeah the mr2 has a bypass valve right after the turbo on the hot pipe. I think, the reason why the all-trac doesnt have a blow off valve is cuz given the flow design of the top mount by the time it would return to the compressor there wouldnt be much of a surge....cuz it would go down the charge pipe, across the intercooler, then down again to the compressor.

andy
10-04-2007, 01:08 AM
the alltrac doesnt have one because, theres not enough air in the charge cooler to provide a sufficient back surge to damage the turbo, in other words if you want to have neato sound with your tmic get a bov. or if you want your car to continue to run properly leave it alone or get a bipass valve.

grip addict
10-04-2007, 02:21 AM
actually, you're both wrong. allow me to jump into the fray a sec- the reason that the alltrac never came with a bov on the first two gens, is because that the positive pressure caused by the antilag system on the rally cars didn't necessitate the use of one.

andy
10-04-2007, 02:26 AM
um, i doubt that. if they needed one it would be there. regardless of the antilag on the rally cars.

donteatbugs
10-04-2007, 05:23 AM
my 5sfe needed a bov so i put one on there. done. that was easy.

yangster_boi2002
10-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Well thankz for the help.. I was thinking of just buying that adaptive part form samco. it's more simpler.but jw..is that one 935motorsport.com page even legit? it seems kinda like a fake page.but i spotted the samco adaptive part where the BOV sits.

And does anyone know where i can find cheap BOV's online or something? but good BOV's like Greddy, HKS, Blitz,...

PhillyDRFT
10-04-2007, 07:09 AM
And does anyone know where i can find cheap BOV's online or something? but good BOV's like Greddy, HKS, Blitz,...

Do you even know what you're buying in the first place? Cheap and good don't run synonymous with car parts. Not many companys make the plumbing to add a BOV to the TMIC because most people with a 3sgte capable of using one properly, have moved to a FMIC system.

If you want to sound like the fast and the furious you want a Greddy type-RS. If you want your car to run properly like Andy said. Leave it alone.

yangster_boi2002
10-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Yea but where can i get it? Like if i am to get a Greddy Type-RS BOV, where could i get a cheap pricing for it?

grip addict
10-04-2007, 05:47 PM
um, i doubt that. if they needed one it would be there. regardless of the antilag on the rally cars.

they did, in later models...
see here- http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12139