PDA

View Full Version : valve cover removal

celicaGT90_05
10-02-2007, 02:26 AM
ok I think my oil leak is coming from the valve cover, not 100% sure but since there is oil somehow getting right where it sets, thats my best guess. So I looked and dont see bolts holding it down, so how exactly do I remove it to put the new seals in? And anyone have any special tips before I jump in to this mess? Thanks

Ads28
10-02-2007, 02:32 AM
pop off your spark plug wires...see those big "bolts" under them..those are the 4 that hold it down...as for tips..no clue never done it yet

Ricksta
10-02-2007, 02:32 AM
i wouldnt call it a mess, and its a very simple task thier should be like 8 or so screws holding it down. unscrew them and then replace the gasket. the stealership will prolly have to order it for you so it will take a couple of days. dont buy cheap gaskets go oem all the way.

celicaGT90_05
10-02-2007, 02:51 AM
I already have the gaskets and I know its a simple task, I just wunna make sure I dont screw it up. I was thinkin the screws were under the spark plug wires but didnt wunna pop them out yet to look. Anyone know what the torque specs will be on the bolts when I put them back in?

MCcelica
10-02-2007, 04:02 AM
There are no screws. There are bolts beneath the plug wires. They go around the spark plug tubes. You won't be able to get a crescent wrench in there to get 'em off. You'll just need a freaken huge socket, tho I can't remember what size, so I'm not much good there. As far as torque spec goes, I don't have one for that on my 5s spec sheet, so I would gather that german spec (Gutentight) should be sufficient.

celicaGT90_05
10-02-2007, 04:31 AM
There are no screws. There are bolts beneath the plug wires. They go around the spark plug tubes.

I meant bolts lol I'll have to look it up when I'm at school some time tomorrow, we have AllData and Mitchell On Demand so I should be able to find them.

Which, will I need new bolts or are the ones on it reuseable?

Ricksta
10-02-2007, 04:49 AM
There are no screws. There are bolts beneath the plug wires. They go around the spark plug tubes. You won't be able to get a crescent wrench in there to get 'em off. You'll just need a freaken huge socket, tho I can't remember what size, so I'm not much good there. As far as torque spec goes, I don't have one for that on my 5s spec sheet, so I would gather that german spec (Gutentight) should be sufficient.

no screws? damn then that hex screw set i bought for my valve cover was a waste of money then huh?

no torque specs. do not over tighten them. tighten them by hand till its tight and that is all.

91 Celica GT-S
10-02-2007, 04:55 AM
i used a big crescent wrench and ive also used channel locks to get them off but they have to be big
when you tighten them down just use common sense. tighten them down evenly make sure its snug but dont wail on them

celicaGT90_05
10-02-2007, 05:01 AM
sounds good guys, it's not like I'm new to this stuff just wunna make sure I do it completely right, I just sure as hell hope it stops the oil leak. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes when I get to it next weekend

Amaymi
10-02-2007, 05:14 AM
I use like a 30 mm. Its a little big, but its close enough to work. I think it the same socket I use for my c.v. nuts.

MCcelica
10-02-2007, 06:42 AM
no screws? damn then that hex screw set i bought for my valve cover was a waste of money then huh?

He's talkin 5sfe dood. Not 7a or whatever you're workin with. On my 5s's there were no screws.

1990CelicaGT-S
10-02-2007, 10:34 AM
A 30mm socket will work great for it. When your taking the valve cover off your going to have to move a couple of brackets to get it all the way. (One on the manifold for the throttle cable.) Once it's off, remove the old gasket, make sure both surfaces are clean, and then put the new one it. Make sure its pressed in as far as it will go into the groove. Put the valve cover back on, tighten the nuts finger tight then tighten them snug using your socket, wrench, whatever your using. Put everything back together, start the car. Let it warm up to operating temperature and watching for leaks the whole time.

Good luck.

Hiko
10-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Just FYI, the torque specs for those nuts are low. Something like 12 ft-lbs (I remember it was below the minimum 20ft-lbs of my torque wrench). So overtightening is easy.

celicaGT90_05
10-04-2007, 02:30 AM
what happened....there were some posts in this thread that are now gone