PDA

View Full Version : Need 3SGE help w/ 86-87 and 88-89 engine

Kiasis
09-27-2007, 02:30 AM
I think I just figured out why my 88 GTS engine runs like crap. My 3SGE has red top fuel injectors. When I look at Rock Auto, I see that the 86-87 3SGE have red top, but the 88-89 have green top injectors.

The most obvious difference is that the 86-87 EGR tube connects to the exhaust manifold (external EGR). When my replacement engine was first installed, there was no cylinder head port (88-89 internal EGR). I was told it was a JDM and needed to be ported for the EGR.

It came w/ red top injectors and ran worse when the mechanic installed the 1988 correct green top injectors.

In looking at Rock Auto, they sell a red top injector for 86-87 and a green top for 88-89. In checking other parts, the EGR valve, vacuum modulator, and who knows what else are different parts for the two different variations (86-87 and 88-89).

So, here's my question for someone really familiar w/ the two variations:

What other parts could I easily get at that came on the replacement engine so I can check part numbers to try and determine if I have an 86-87 engine in my 88 GTS (making it illegal in CA) or if it really is an 88-89 JDM engine that just needed to be ported?

The easy ones I thought of, AFM, TPS, etc would not have been swapped over (I don't think) as the originals are usually kept on the car, like the intake, exhaust, EGR, etc. What parts can I look at to verify what version of the Gen 1 3SGE engine I have in my car? Since my ECU is a 1988, wouldn't that be getting royally screwed by an 86-87 engine w/ different injectors, etc?

I've spent a small fortune trying to get the engine running properly and now I wonder if that's impossible given I may be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Help, please. If I can verify it's the wrong engine, the State Bureau of Automotive Repair will make damn sure it's fixed right w/ the correct engine - and not at my expense anymore.

Thanks.

Kiasis
09-28-2007, 04:24 PM
bump - for any help I can get...

Mafix
09-28-2007, 08:25 PM
did you also get the jdm ecu? they are different