PDA

View Full Version : Car noob here! Be nice :D

thelaw604
09-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking around for awhile now before I took the plunge and bought my first Celica a few months ago... Now... I'm absolutely in love with this car!

A little bit about me:
I was away from home for a co-op term during the summer and needed(wanted) a car to get around. I figured... why not get a beater car with standard transmission to get around and learn how to drive stick? I car hunted for about a month on craigslist and other classifieds which led me to CelicaTech. I finally found a 1986 Celica GTS Coupe in decent shape for $700. I had my friend take a look at it back home and make the purchase for me so I can fly back and drive it over to Calgary. I picked up stick in like two hours and it's a blast to drive! I don't think I can go back to auto... until I'm like 50.

Anyways, when I got back home, I was teaching my younger brother how to drive stick and of all things he does, he runs parallel over those cement blocks in the parking lot and wrecks my entire exhaust system. Even though the cat and muffler are salvageable, it'll still cost about $500 to fix at the shop. I didn't think it was worth it to fix because the body of the car isn't in the greatest shape, so I decided to go look for another 4th gen Celica.

I completed the sale last night and now a proud owner of a 1989 Celica GTS Hatch! The seller was asking for $1200 but managed to get it down to $960 because of some minor things my cousin found. My experience so far has been pretty good with cars and I really enjoy fixing things up, so... I think I'm going to keep my old one and try and start learning how to fix up this "new" one I got. (Are they even compatible?)

I'm an aspiring accountant from Vancouver and have no experience with cars whatsoever, so I look foward to reading and learning a lot from the rest of you. So now... my first question is...

How/where does a complete car noob start? I was thinking of just doing simple stuff such as oil changes to start. I do have mechanics in the family to help if needed.

PS> Sorry for the long boring post.

davmac
09-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Greetings and good luck with your 4th gens. You're on the right track: simple repairs and with some help more complex repairs. I think car repair can be a challenge and nice break from a desk job. There is a real sense of accomplishment when you fix something that was broken or improve your car.

thelaw604
09-25-2007, 08:05 PM
No kidding! I get enough internet, excel and computers at work... time for a new hands on hobby! Only wished Vancouver rained less. :/

Murgatroy
09-25-2007, 08:23 PM
I like my 4th Gen. You have a more powerful motor since you have the GT-S.

Your `86 GT-S is virtually the same as your new `89 GT-S.

3SGE, five-lug... You should have plenty of options as well, the GT-S was second to only the All-Trac in trim levels. Top in `86.

They are nimble little cars. Fun to drive. I haven't found a car that likes to be beat on more than my Celicas.

Add in the potential of the chassis and the community, I don't think I will buy many more cars that aren't Celicas.

Hookecho
09-25-2007, 09:39 PM
welcome to c-tech. if you want to start somewhere with learning some mechanicing then the best thing to do is go buy a repair manual for your celica and just read it. take the book with you out to the garage, pop the hood, and use the illustrations in the book to help you identify and become familiar with all the different parts of the car. a repair manual is a car owners best friend.

extremeskillz
09-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Welcome, and yes you found the right place.

The Captain
09-25-2007, 11:46 PM
welcome

thelaw604
09-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes, which of the manuals do you recommend for a beginner? Haynes?

Cavanagh
09-26-2007, 03:33 AM
sup.

1990CelicaGT-S
09-26-2007, 03:45 AM
Welcome to CelicaTech! Haynes does make a decent manual for the Celica. Pick one up and try an oil change. You might even benifit from doing a tune up.

Murgatroy
09-26-2007, 04:33 AM
I always use Chiltons.

I have a Chiltons for 1rst, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Gens. Haynes is acceptable, I just don't like it as much.

andy
09-26-2007, 07:18 AM
pics er ban!

thelaw604
09-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Pics soon! Most likely this weekend though, I am swamped at work and job hunting after work... O yea... it's always raining here, hopefully it'll be better this weekend.

Besides... they are not in good shape at all.

KoreanJoey
09-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Only wished Vancouver rained less. :/

I feel your pain down here too...

celicaGT90_05
09-27-2007, 03:48 PM
ahh I meant to welcome you sooner, must have slipped my mind but welcome to the site! As for being a car noob, dont worry about it there are plenty of us who know a lot about cars and are willin to teach you.