PDA

View Full Version : auto cad or cabitent building software?

Lucky, Volvo Driver
09-25-2007, 09:04 AM
anyone have access to a digital environment that would allow them to build, and then part out an object such that you could print patterns of the pieces in 100% of actual size once done?

I ask because I need a front and rear door panel from my volvo mapped out as though it had no round edges and were made of quarter inch thick material...and I really don't want to chop up some spares and hand draw patterns my self :(

I'd ask in my volvo community but the 1 person I know for sure could actually do this is trippin against me about something, and the rest of them would call what I have in mind 'rice' :fuckoff:

Shadowlife25
09-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately I no longer have my CAD software or Solid Modeler programs anymore :(
They got wiped off my drive when I quit doing architectural drafting and structural work.
I'll see if I can get my hands on something again, but it might not be soon enough for you. We'll see. Good luck anyhow! :)

-Mario

Carolina91GT-S
09-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Have you tried google sketchup? It's free and it a decent 3-d environment, it's simple to use and has both woodworking and construction scales. It runs off of the same graphics engine as google earth so you have to install it as well if I remember correctly. I have them both so I'm not sure of the need for it.

Lucky, Volvo Driver
09-26-2007, 12:43 AM
i guess I can take a look at that:)

I'm looking at doing up plexiglass/lexan/acrylic door panels for the volvo with LED back lighting. Think high fashion ubar haxxor computer case style but inside a car :D

Shadowlife25
09-26-2007, 05:13 AM
That sounds pretty. As long as it's on a controller for the lighting and remains just a bit understated, I think it will be awesome. You could use a relay and tie it in to the factory dimmer for OEM control ;)

Lucky, Volvo Driver
09-26-2007, 08:07 AM
what I had in mind was to put small (3mm leds) into the edge of the plexi so the light would carry thru the stuff rather than light up the inside of the door itself. if you buff all the abutting surfaces the light will carry thru pretty well. put 1 every 6 or 8 inches and you have a lightly glowing blue/red/green/whatever door that allows you to see all the wires and motors in the door without actually lighting all the wires and stuff in the door:)

then again, I may never get it done. I gotta keep telling my self..."go fast stuff first, then make it pretty!"