PDA

View Full Version : Shroud on RC/CS Bumper for Intercooler?

turbo4ag
09-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Since the CS/RC bumper was never design for a FMIC and rather a heat exchanger for W2A, has anyone tried to make a shroud to help direct airflow through the IC core.

It should help in airdynamics and make the IC more efficient. Or is my thought process off? Would that be a good or bad idea? Do you think it would make the car overheat?

vip09
09-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Since the CS/RC bumper was never design for a FMIC and rather a heat exchanger for W2A, has anyone tried to make a shroud to help direct airflow through the IC core.

It should help in airdynamics and make the IC more efficient. Or is my thought process off? Would that be a good or bad idea? Do you think it would make the car overheat?

That would be a cool idea, but people have so many different sized intercoolers. It would be hard to settle on one specific size.

The IC should already get plenty of flow being up front. I don't think it would make much of a difference.

alltracman78
09-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Air likes to go around obstacles, not through them.
Even a radiator, IC, heat exchanger are all obstacles.

I have small [15mm?] rails welded to the edges of my heat exchanger so the air can't spill over the edge and is forced through.

turbo4ag
09-24-2007, 05:24 AM

I have small [15mm?] rails welded to the edges of my heat exchanger so the air can't spill over the edge and is forced through.

Exactly. I know for high horsepower, or once you get up to speed, the intercooler gets more efficient anyway, but this is just a small detail that could yield as much as a 10-20% drop in temps for pretty cheap.

The Captain
09-24-2007, 10:59 AM
APR Performance has the pattern to make a splitter for the RC bumper. It's carbon and looks like it would work great. I'll be ordering one soon for the same reason.

vip09
09-24-2007, 03:02 PM

I'd like to see some pics. Sounds interesting.

alltracman78
09-25-2007, 01:57 AM
If you get luck I'll grab one.
I'm way to damn busy.