PDA

View Full Version : have a question

dragonsrage86
09-19-2007, 03:27 AM
i am getting a 1989 toyota celica gt-s. the engine says toyota 2000 16 valve. on the head cover and says efi on the back part.

my question is this. is this the 3s-ge that ive been told so much about? or is it its weaker cousin the 3s-fe? i was told that the 3s-ge came with t-vis (toyota variable intake system) not efi....

not that it matters much i was just curious since i cant see the timeing cover that usually has the 3s-ge on it.

Amaymi
09-19-2007, 04:25 AM
That deff looks like 3sfe. If your car is indeed a gt-s, and not just a re badged st or gt, then someone replaced the cars engine, tranny, wiring harness, and computer. Unless the gt-s came with the 3sfe anywhere. I also thought that the 4th gen gt-s's were all hatches.

Also EFI and T-VIS refer to 2 very different thing. EFI Stands for Elecronic Fuel Injection denoting that the motor is computer controlled and uses electronic injectors instead of carburated. T-VIS stands for, as you said, Toyota Variable Induction System which is an efficiency improver similar to vtec, MIVEC, etc.

Hiko
09-19-2007, 04:57 AM
^ He's correct. That is a 3sfe. The 3sge has T-VIS written where EFI is written on that intake.

There are such things as a 4th gen GT-S coupes. I didn't think there were until I saw one in a junkyard myself.

Amaymi
09-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Ahh I see the confusion then. Take your VIN to the dealership to see if its a rebadge st or gt or its a 3sfe swapped gt-s. Cuz like I said I don't know of any gt-s that came with the 3sfe. Correct me if I'm wrong of course!

dragonsrage86
09-20-2007, 05:49 AM
then again it might not be the original engine... i came across it kinda out in the country side and the 70 year old mechanic kinda ghetto rigged a few things... then again its entirely possible its a rebadged gt... how would i check the vin number at the dealership when i have no idea where it was purchased?

dragonsrage86
09-20-2007, 05:52 AM
yea kinda like the stx's that i was sworn to didnt exist... junkyards are wonderful places to learn arent they?

Murgatroy
09-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Here is a faster way to tell if it is a rebadge ST/GT or a swapped GT-S.

Is it 4 lug or 5?

ST/GT came with a 3SFE and 4 lug. GT-S came with a 3SGE and 5 lug.

Playfortoday
09-20-2007, 03:42 PM
yea kinda like the stx's that i was sworn to didnt exist... junkyards are wonderful places to learn arent they?

Glad you found us then, because we have has STX defined as real with owners as members on this sight for years. Even this site's owner had one. I can safely say I did not.

donteatbugs
09-21-2007, 01:04 AM
mine said gt-s, but it was an 85 corolla hatch. the 3sge is much better than the 4age.