PDA

View Full Version : Halftrac

aldb10
09-16-2007, 06:05 PM
I swaped my 90 Celica GTS with a 3s

My problem: I decided to take my 3sgte's 4x4 tranny to put in my GTS instead of the 5sfe's one. Is there someone who has already did that and can explain the easiest way to put it on the engine bay!? Some pics could be apreciate...

Thanks and sry for my English,
Alex

Ricksta
09-16-2007, 06:08 PM
so the motor is in with the tranny? well budday better get to work on taking that tranny out because its no use to you. sell the tranny on alltrac.net and use whatever money you have from it towards an mr2 tranny with mr2 inners and alltrac outer axles.

aldb10
09-16-2007, 06:48 PM
The engine is in but without any tranny... Before we was looking for put the 5sfe's tranny but now we want to put the alltrac's one. So firstable... it is possible to put the alltrac tranny in the GTS?

Ricksta
09-16-2007, 06:59 PM
just put in the 5sfe tranny in there for now. just dont do any hard launches or your going to fawk yourself. when you get the money do as i said and get the mr2 tranny.

aldb10
09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok I got your opinion, now can you answer to my questions?

It is possible to put the alltrac tranny in the GTS?

Thanks

Ricksta
09-16-2007, 08:30 PM
didnt we already cover this? or was it someone else a few days ago? no cant be done.

Murgatroy
09-16-2007, 08:50 PM
It is possible to put the AWD tranny in there. It will require modification.

The transmission is stong enough to handle the 3SGTE from teh factory, where the 5S tranny isn't.

It requires removal of the rear differential, and changing the main unit with an MR2 or aftermarket LSD. It has been done. Not as often as other methods, but it has been done.

The tranny from the 5SFE is not setup to handle the power and torque of the 3SGTE, plenty of folks have used them for varying amounts of success for varying amounts of time.

There are many options.

Ricksta
09-16-2007, 08:53 PM
expensive option...

from what i read trying to get the alltrac tranny to work fwd just isnt worth the hastle and time and money.

Murgatroy
09-16-2007, 08:57 PM
It is no more expensive than buying an MR2 tranny or Camry/Solara tranny to handle it. It might be more labor intensive, but works.

I think we might need a tranny sticky in the FI for these discussions.

aldb10
09-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys with this post and the other post I found here, that's clear my mind and help me.

Sean
09-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Please reference this thread.
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29007

burnyd
09-16-2007, 11:00 PM
you can do it but it looks rather complicated plus you will need all the converstion parts.

If you bought a clip then it will be much easier... being that it came with axles, mounts, shifter linkage etc.

If you just bought a motor,trans,wiring harnees,computer... then its going to be very difficult sourcing parts.

Sean
09-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Murg has got it, except front differential, not rear.

It is no more expensive, just requires a lot of work.

Benefits? Longer gear ratios, double/triple cone syncro's in the RC tranny, shorter 1st gear (some say 2nd as well, but I crack 67 in 2nd), a clutch disc that contacts the entire flywheel (the 5s disc is not a perfect fit with the 3s flywheel), shift linkages that are on the correct side of the transmission.....