PDA

View Full Version : Without all-track's hood

aldb10
09-15-2007, 04:34 PM
I swaped my GTS and put a 3SGTE 2nd gen. I don't have time this moment to finish my piping for my front intercooler... I don't have the all-track's hood and I want to know if it can be a problem if I drive my car with the stock intercooler with the stock hood...??

Ricksta
09-15-2007, 04:36 PM
*alltrac*

need airflow fool, drive hoodless!

geebes
09-15-2007, 06:17 PM
You should have airflow. But, if it is only temporary and you are gentle on it, it shouldn't be a problem until you get a FMIC. But, i'm not positive I am just basing my opinion on the fact that some cars don't even have an intercooler or hood vent that are turbo. Hoodless is a good call though.

Mr Celica
09-15-2007, 06:43 PM
cut a hole in it.

BlueDragon
09-15-2007, 06:54 PM
yep hoodless till you get the FMIC on and even then some vents for that hood would help because all the heat from your radiator and intercooler and aircondition heat exchange are all gonna flow right into your engine bay with minimal venting to release it. Thus the CS hood.

Ghosty
09-15-2007, 07:02 PM
cut a hole in it.

I second that.

Mask it off, take a saw to it.

If you're worried about rusting from the exposed metal, get some car spray paint and spray her.

If you're worried about looks, there are many companies out there that sell the fake scoops/vents, I would imagine you could find a repilca CS vent and modify it to work for real, and then attach it to the hood. But this won't look the best, really.

I don't know how legal it is to drive without a hood, but I know you could at least throw a tarp over it when you park it overnight (if you park outside and rain is an issue).

aldb10
09-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks for your ideas guys... but I will not cut a hole or buy some vents to put on my hood with his fresh paint... I like my hood and I will keep it stock... My cousin already try to drive his car without hood and the cops didn't like it... the policeman didn't know what he had to deal with that!! haha

So I will drive my car and be gentle with it until I get my FMIC. Unless if someone really disadvise me.

Thanks, Sry for my english

Ricksta
09-16-2007, 05:38 PM
well...you could keep your hood popped while your drive. it wont come off unless you manually unlock it but the hood will come up enough to get some (not a lot) of airflow under the hood. because i honestly dont think your gonna be too gentle with her...

Hookecho
09-16-2007, 07:01 PM
^^don't do that!

Ricksta
09-16-2007, 07:04 PM
^^don't do that!

why not? my hood is busted and wont lock in. but the hood still doesnt go anywhere its still hooked to the latch. its better safe then sorry on the air flow.

unlock your hood from the inside and then pull up and down on the hood w/o touching the center latch. where does it go? nowhere!

TEAMFaint
09-16-2007, 07:13 PM
^Still not a good idea.

If you are using the stock ATA intercooler, dont use a carlos sains style scoop, for it doesnt efficiently get air to the intercooler, ATA is meant for a scoop, not a vent. There has been threads about this.

There is a way to use washers to lift the end of your hood that is near the windshield. I would reccomend at least doing this to help hot air escape.

Stay in VAC!
Dont boost. Its going to be a bad idea. I'm sure you can afford intercooler piping. Go to www.ssautochrome.com and check under the "Intercooler Kits" section in "Toyota".
They are selling a complete kit for $200. The piping route goes around the battery as well so you wont need a relocation of that.
This also includes an intercooler.

Now I know I'll hear "blah blah blah ssacrap" but if you have done ANY research on the company, you'd know that most of the stuff they sell are from differing companies.

Ex. Motoria exhaust, XS Power downpipes, Motoria midpipes, etc.

Lots of trac owners have used their exhausts as well as downpipes, they have a different welding scheme on their downpipes for less chances of cracking, and a turning to be a decent company. For $200, you cant really go wrong for a FMIC kit.

Just my 2 cents.

Hookecho
09-16-2007, 07:20 PM
why not? my hood is busted and wont lock in. but the hood still doesnt go anywhere its still hooked to the latch. its better safe then sorry on the air flow.

unlock your hood from the inside and then pull up and down on the hood w/o touching the center latch. where does it go? nowhere!

you know not the awesome power of wind turbulence.

Sean
09-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Cutting a hole would not allow any air in, which is what an air to air intercooler needs.

You can drive it, dont push the car at all.

The Captain
09-17-2007, 01:40 AM
A recent test was done and spacing up a hood in front of the windshield actually pulls air in. It also lowers the amount of air (by a small amount) going through the radiator from raising under hood pressure. The area in front of the windshield is high pressure. The area under the hood is low pressure. High pressure seeks low pressure in an attempt to equalize, which is why the radiator is in the front and undertrays are utilized.

I personally wouldn't drive the vehicle. If you must, be sure to run premium fuel to defer detonation as long as possible. Stay out of stop and go traffic and avoid boost pressure as much as possible. The cooler temps in Canada may help.

Carolina91GT-S
09-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Go to www.ssautochrome.com and check under the "Intercooler Kits" section in "Toyota".
They are selling a complete kit for $200. The piping route goes around the battery as well so you wont need a relocation of that.
This also includes an intercooler.

Now I know I'll hear "blah blah blah ssacrap" but if you have done ANY research on the company, you'd know that most of the stuff they sell are from differing companies.

Ex. Motoria exhaust, XS Power downpipes, Motoria midpipes, etc.

Lots of trac owners have used their exhausts as well as downpipes, they have a different welding scheme on their downpipes for less chances of cracking, and a turning to be a decent company. For $200, you cant really go wrong for a FMIC kit.

Just my 2 cents.

Do you have a contact phone # for them? I am interested in talking to them about some of thier stuff but they have no phone # listed.