PDA

View Full Version : Stuff on my car

car
09-14-2007, 02:22 AM
So when I got my car in January, it had these decals on the side and a cheesy hoodscoop plastered on it, How do I take them off without damaging the paint, IF I CAN, and if I do will I end op with giant unfaded spots of paint? Pics are in the garage

celicaGT90_05
09-14-2007, 02:33 AM
for the decal, just try to peel it off best you can, you might want to have a razor blade ready just BE CAREFUL. Once you get the vynil part off, just use a goo-gone type stuff to remove the sticky residue, which will be a good amount of work. For the hood, its probably stuck on there with an RTV, the only thing you can really do is try to remove it best you can and peel off the stuff holding it on. After that just buff it a little and it should be ok

car
09-14-2007, 02:45 AM
I figured this was gonna be a pain...Thanks though...

celicaGT90_05
09-14-2007, 02:56 AM
no problem, though its hard to say whats holding that scoop on. I would hope its RTV because it dries kinda rubbery and it peels off fairly easily when on metal

Ajilon
09-14-2007, 03:33 AM
for the decals, a heat gun will work well assuming they are not clear coated over. The heat will soften they vinyl and it'll peel right back. Go slowly though. You should be able to get most of the sticky off if you heat it up. barring goo gone, baby oil does the same thing for alot less.

not sure what to tell you about the hood scoop. I think you're looking at painting that hood after removal.

celicaGT90_05
09-14-2007, 04:09 AM
also true, I always forget about heat guns lol

1990CelicaGT-S
09-14-2007, 04:45 AM
Oh they're a great thing. I find that brake cleaner does the trick very well with some elbow grease when cleaning sticky stuff off paint.

Ghosty
09-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Heat gun = hair drier.

... just so you don't have to go out and buy one.

Ajilon
09-15-2007, 01:11 AM
not for that application. if you ran a hair dryer for the amount of time it'll take to peel off that decal, you'll burn it up. I've burned up several. Heat guns can handle being run for extended periods of time. Hair dryers have a short lifespan.

The Captain
09-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Yep, use a little heat to peel the big decal off.

WD40 works good on adhesives that's still stuck and doesn't hurt the paint.

To remove stubborn glue, decals and pinstripes, go to an auto paint supply store and get a pinstripe removal pad. It's about 4"-5" in diameter and it's made out of the stuff "gummy erasers" are made from. About an inch thick. It attaches to a drill and works wonders. Rubs the junk right off. Doesn't hurt the paint and a quick polish/buff cleans it up. Cheap too. Learned this trick from a body shop.

I've used it to remove 15 year old pinstripes that were cracked and dried up. Works like a champ.

extremeskillz
09-15-2007, 02:20 AM
^werd so does hair spray. (i don't own hair spray but i steal it from my sisters room :hehe:)

The Captain
09-15-2007, 02:23 AM
(i don't own hair spray but i steal it from my sisters room :hehe:)

Yeah right, sure, uh huh, whatever. :hehe:

(You did kinda walk in to that one) :bigthumbu

extremeskillz
09-15-2007, 02:31 AM
^YEp i know. but i really don't.

car
09-15-2007, 04:49 AM
Thanks, I already have a heat gun. Now all I have to do is actually get to it, I'm kinda lazy like that...