PDA

View Full Version : Clutch gone..help needed...

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
09-13-2007, 10:12 PM
ok well 2nd gear has been giving me trouble for quite awhile and hasnt really been going straight in, i would have to fidget it in and what not, and today, it finally went...but only 2 4 R are gone...so i had to drive home from walmart in 1 3 and 5 which was quite interesting but a fun experience at the same time!...so what is causing this and im looking at exedy clutches right now and there are none for my 4afe ST so would one like this >>

http://www.erzperformance.com/product_p/exedystage189.htm

which is for a 1.6 4AGE, work? trannys interchangeable or what? if and when i get the clutch, i will be able to change it in the shop at school and my instructor will help me with it and what not, but of course that is if i can make it there...heh....

So help me out....is there even an aftermarket clutch that is better than the stock clutch or am i just going to have to stick with the stock clutch???.... real confused and this sux cuz i still have to pay for classes and bills and now this...bleh...

But i would like to note, that this is going to be the first time the clutch is going to be replaced since it came from the factory....my dad was just talking to the original owner and he was sayin "o wow, the clutch isnt gone yet, its still the original stock"...and of course, the next day, there it goes...of course it would happen huh?....

Rix86
09-13-2007, 10:15 PM
gears going bye-bye means a clutch won't help.
sounds more like a shift cable or rod has a problem.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
09-13-2007, 10:41 PM
ok...i was actually thinking that might be a possiblity but i wasnt sure how to say it or or what the part actually was to ask about it but thanks for input....so now that thats pretty much figured out, what do i do?...how hard is it to repair this or these parts myself? something easy a jack and stands can do?...

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
09-14-2007, 01:02 AM
yeh...it def was the shift cables...they were mangled to pieces and had bust out the rubber house housing thing...so ya where do i get shift cables from?...

celicaGT90_05
09-14-2007, 01:29 AM
go to your local auto parts store, they can order you one if they arent in stock

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
09-14-2007, 01:51 AM
yeh autozone and discount auto parts both told me to goto dealer for the part..so yeh...soonest time i would have it is sat if they dont have it in stock tomorrow(which i doubt) but of course only way i could have it sat is pay overnight and thats just more $$ out the exit than i have

celicaGT90_05
09-14-2007, 01:54 AM
wow thats crazy, how much do they want for the part cheapest?

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
09-14-2007, 01:59 AM
no idea, since auto parts places didnt have parts in their computers, they didnt know anything about it of course so they couldnt give me an estimate and the toyota dealership is closed by now so i havent been able to check prices there yet....and o ya something i forgot to mention...i have 2 big separate cracks in my exhaust manifold...and not to mention the manifold is brown and rusty as can be...so ill be needing one of those soon as well...

celicaGT90_05
09-14-2007, 02:01 AM
sounds like you have your hands full lol well I hope you can get it fixed...

Amaymi
09-14-2007, 02:51 AM
unfortunately they are like 180 a piece from the dealer last time I checked for a 4th gen. Hopefully they'll be alittle cheaper for your 5th gen, though I think they are the same cables

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
09-14-2007, 05:30 PM
o0o0o0o....doesnt sound too good for my bankroll that i dont have...hopefully that isnt it, even thought the cables were mangled and coming out of the rubber hosing...i was talking to my teacher today and he said that even though that is happening, that i should check a clamp that holds the cables, and prevents the whole thing from moving all at once like it may be doing so that will be the first thing that i check when i go home...should go back to the shop and look in alldata and see what that has to say but we will see...