PDA

View Full Version : $1400 for the following repairs?

Stromm
09-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Hi all. Just wondering if it's a fair price for someone doing the following.

Exhaust: Between manifold and muffler. All new parts, cat included.
Oil leak: Water pump, Timing belt, Oil pump, seals, gaskets, etc.
Plugs and wires
Oil change.
Labor and tax

I didn't have time to deal with it myself, so I HAD to pay someone.

Thoughts?

extremeskillz
09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
that sounds high but then again seems like hes restoring you engine and other component so this would depend on parts and labor rate.

andy
09-14-2007, 02:19 AM
thats about right.

89gtcon
09-14-2007, 03:57 PM
1400.......pffft...thats robbery....Oh...well exhaust....well idk....I'd do it myself...

burnyd
09-14-2007, 04:06 PM
yah sounds about right.

Futant3
09-15-2007, 06:19 AM
sound about right to me. the cat and the timing belt themselves can run up the $$$

gt lifthback
09-15-2007, 06:48 AM
kind of high......

Kiasis
09-16-2007, 11:14 PM
I just paid $600 for a new timing belt and crank, cam, and oil pump seals, if that's any measure (at dealership). Of course, they also recouped some of their diagnostic time over the 1-hr estimate, mais c'est la vie. Just make sure he's checking to ensure the manifold isn't warped. Otherwise a new manifold gasket is useless and you're still breathing fumes.

Ricksta
09-16-2007, 11:58 PM
would have cost you less just to go to the junkyard and buy another low milage motor...

Stromm
09-19-2007, 11:25 AM
How much to have it put in the car? How long would it have taken to get the car back? Was that jy engine ragged out? Did the owner not change the oil buy every 10,000 miles? What would have been wrong with that jy engine?

I'm a firm believer in sticking with engines I know how they are run.

Ricksta
09-19-2007, 05:31 PM
How much to have it put in the car? How long would it have taken to get the car back? Was that jy engine ragged out? Did the owner not change the oil buy every 10,000 miles? What would have been wrong with that jy engine?

if you looked on ebay you can find them cheap on there too. junkyard motors and ebay motors are all compression and leak tested before they sell them. if you do the work yourself you could have it done in a weekend. it takes me a day to pull a motor by myself. then prolly another day to put the motor in and wire everything up.

you got your own tools? its not worth it if your going to have someone else do it for you and pay them. going to need an engine hoist too, prolly gonna wanna borrow one from a friend.

Ricksta
09-19-2007, 05:34 PM

how am i supposed to know if the recent owner changed the oil every 10k? its supposed to be every 3k...

todays oils have been proven to last longer, plus these toyota motors can go a while w/o an oil change anyways w/o any ill effects. your good man just look into it. junkyards have mechanics there too who will swap them for you, but i dont advice it because its going to be pretty costly.

burnyd
09-19-2007, 05:34 PM
where exactly do you live btw?

celicatrd93
09-19-2007, 06:39 PM
maybe does seem a bit high but thats just how shops do it(high prices) so it seems right, few years back when i bought my neighbors 91 gts he gave me the bill he paid for a new timing belt, water pump alternator and small gaskets with labor total was 973.00, that s what he paid. it could of been a bit cheaper to get a low mileage motor and drop it in, but not that much cheaper.

Ricksta
09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
for the amount this guy was quoated he miles well just swap a 3sgte lol

Stromm
09-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Late post I know, it seems like time is short lately. A key point of my post was I don't have time to do the work myself, otherwise I would have. We're the second owner of the car and have had it for 4 or 5 years I think. I know all about what JY's "say" about engines, but I know quite a few people who work there and they have always said DON'T BUY ENGINE FROM JY's. Don't know, maybe that's just in Ohio.

I think some have focused ONLY on the engine repair. Don't forget there was the exhaust system too. Replacing the engine would have COST my time (I contract out at $75/hr).

I simply wondered if the cost for the listed work was fair.

1990CelicaGT-S
09-28-2007, 04:11 AM
That sounds fair to me. Your exaust and labour probably took the bill that high.

GT4SOM
09-28-2007, 04:21 AM
Thats sounds pretty high for only that work.