PDA

View Full Version : 3S-GE piston limits

Loopy
02-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Does anyone have any idea how much the stock 3S-GE pistons can take before going home in a sulk ?
(I don't need flaming, I know just how many variables this involves thanks)
If you have or have heard of limits on them knowing how that limit was achieved would be useful.
At present I'm putting 150hp of progressive nitrous through mine and it isn't breaking a sweat yet.
These bitches are tough !
How far do you reckon it'll go ?
(I suppose i could open a book on this :eek: )

Loopy
03-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Anyone ?
Do you really mean nobodies boosted the stock 3S-GE to death ?
:squint: Or nobodies admitting it !

MrWOT
03-06-2005, 11:03 PM
You don't break pistons with boost, they break due to detonation, or if they can't shed heat fast enough. So long as you take proper care you don't even need forged pistons in a racing engine, they only use them because detonation is a part of life at high states of tune. You question is not one that can be answered because pistons will only crack, melt, etc if something is wrong, not just from normal operation.

Loopy
03-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Detonation is a fault and it kills pistons, using forged in a race engine has nothing to do with det, when a race engine dets its dead, forgies or not.

Combustion pressure is a fact of life and kills pistons, i've cracked crowns, split wrist pin holes, sheared skirts and with never a single sign of det.
Oh, bent plenty of rods and blown a ton of gaskets too.
I'm asking what sort of pressures were people hitting before problems on stock N/A pistons since it'll give me an idea of how much further i can go with nitrous.
Knowing the rough HP level isn't exactly accurate without knowing details like combustion temps, but it'll give me an idea.