PDA

View Full Version : 90-91 Shifter /= 92-93 Shifter :rant:

vip09
09-13-2007, 06:56 AM
I wasted a lot of time tonight, so just thought I'd post this so someone else won't need to waste their time.

The metal shifter base that the plastic shifter unit bolts to is different. There are four studs that the plastic shifter unit slides onto. Well, on the 90-91 metal shifter base, the two studs in front are spaced equally as much as the studs in the back. On the 92-93 metal shifter base, the two front studs are spaced a little more than the back ones.

Needless to say, I spend a good portion of the night prepping this shifter assembly that came from Andy's front clip.. a '91 GT-FOUR. Andy only gave me the metal shifter base and shift cables... no shifter unit. The metal part was in better shape than mine but still had a little rust. I spend a good hour treating it with the POR-15 "metal ready" solution. I dried it off and applied two beautiful coats of POR-15. The base was looking amazing. I took the shifter unit that came out of my car ('92 Alltrac) and went to assemble it. Yeah, it didn't fit. I was pissed. So tomorrow I get to clean, prep, and paint another shifter base. Anyone want a shifter base for a 90-91? :laugh:

Sean
09-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I could've told you that :D

donteatbugs
09-13-2007, 07:14 PM
i want it...but i dont know if it will fit my car. i have a different shifter than stock. btw. why now use the 7th gen shifter? you would have 6 gears then, lol

andy
09-14-2007, 02:31 AM
i already called it. and sorry bout that dood. i have the rest somewhere.