PDA

View Full Version : Sadness

T-spoon
09-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Poo. One of my electric fans lost a blade and punctured my less than 5k old radiator. $400 *my cost* for another one and the decision whether to put on another set of these fans or buy a stock shroud, fan blade and crank pulley (to ditch the underdrive). This sucks. I don't know why the fan blade broke off. Could have been that the fan blade itself came off track of the motor and whacked the radiator, or I suppose it could have just broken off. I'll have to see once I get it out of the car.

burnyd
09-10-2007, 04:07 PM
this is on the better than MR2 yaris right?

andy
09-10-2007, 04:11 PM
im thinking supra my friend

MrWOT
09-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Ouch, that sucks, bet it made a hell of a mess too. How old was the fan? Might want to send it back to the manufacturer.

T-spoon
09-10-2007, 04:24 PM
this is on the better than MR2 yaris right?

How would a car we bought brand new on Saturday have anywhere close to 5k miles on it already? :wedge: :hehe: Also, who said anything about the Yaris being a better car than teh MR2? It's definitely not a better sports car, it's just better for what we need right now.

Yes.. it's the supra.. trying to decide if I just want to get a Fluidyne radiator now or what. Not happy one bit about a pretty much brand new factory radiator getting deaded. Ironically the reason my buddy went to electric fans in the first place was in part due to the factory fan blade coming apart and going through the original radiator.

T-spoon
09-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Ouch, that sucks, bet it made a hell of a mess too. How old was the fan? Might want to send it back to the manufacturer.

Fans aren't that old, I put them on brand new when I put in the radiator this spring.

burnyd
09-10-2007, 04:28 PM
How would a car we bought brand new on Saturday have anywhere close to 5k miles on it already? :wedge: :hehe: Also, who said anything about the Yaris being a better car than teh MR2? It's definitely not a better sports car, it's just better for what we need right now.

Yes.. it's the supra.. trying to decide if I just want to get a Fluidyne radiator now or what. Not happy one bit about a pretty much brand new factory radiator getting deaded. Ironically the reason my buddy went to electric fans in the first place was in part due to the factory fan blade coming apart and going through the original radiator.

just bustin your balls! haha, well that sucks about the rad...

Ever since the gf's brother bought a really nice 89 turbo with targa and the supra monitor.. basicly had everything fromt he factory.. Im really impressed with the cars...

85gtsblackman
09-11-2007, 02:28 AM
i like my clutch n blet type fan w/ shroud, plus it makes that nice fan sound i love thats distinctive of any rwd car

T-spoon
09-11-2007, 03:28 AM
i like my clutch n blet type fan w/ shroud, plus it makes that nice fan sound i love thats distinctive of any rwd car

I'm afraid I'm not really sure at all what you just said ;)

Borinal
09-11-2007, 03:49 AM
I'm afraid I'm not really sure at all what you just said ;)
+1

1990CelicaGT-S
09-11-2007, 04:41 AM
That sucks. I wonder if you'd have any luck getting warrenty on the fans?

T-spoon
09-11-2007, 02:54 PM
That sucks. I wonder if you'd have any luck getting warrenty on the fans?

Probably not much. I'll be more sure when I take the shroud off, but after a brief inspection I found something wrapped around the fan blade. It looks like hose or weatherstripping of some kind but hard to tell for sure with it inside the shroud. I don't know if it was part of the shroud or what. It may be that something on the road went up in the engine bay and tangled in the fan, or it may have pulled part of the shroud in, I dunno, but it doesn't look like spontaneous blade breakage at this point.

1990CelicaGT-S
09-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Thats too bad. I hate when stuff like this happens.

T-spoon
09-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Oh well, no worries in the long run. It's just going to be an unschedualed upgrade. Just ordered a pretty Fluidyne radiator from MVPmotorsports (thicker, more efficient core than stock). It will get here slightly faster than an OEM, and cost about the same for me.