PDA

View Full Version : exhaust upgrade questions

AzD_GT4
09-02-2007, 08:41 AM
im upgrading exhasut soon, just wanted to kno a couple of things...

Im gettin an aussie-exhausts DP and mid pipe with high flow cat. Is it worth going the whole way n get the cat back too. im kinda short on money so dont mind waiting til later to upgrade completely to 3" cat back. So with just the DP and mid pipe, how much more power is the full system gonna give me?? cos if its like 10hp ill upgrade but if less, ill wait.

also, is this even possible? aussie-exhausts told me their 3" DP and midpipe is direct bolt on, but i dnt uunderstand how a 3" pipe can bolt onto the factory 2.25".

and, can a 3" pipe fit over the rear axle/diff area??

hope someone knows what im trying to say, sorry if its abit confusin.
wud really appreciate any info.

thanks.

The Captain
09-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Just the downpipe and mid pipe are OK, however to free up the whole system you're gonna have to go all the way. The biggest improvement will be eliminating the first cat. The car will run fine with the stock muffler in place you just won't realize the full potential of the exhaust.

The exhaust will only flow as good as the most restrictive part.

Yes, a 3 inch will go over the rear axle.

I have no idea how much it will cost you down under. Mine was $1200 US, turbo back, 3 inch, mandrel bent full stainless, hi flow cat, Magna flo muffler.

AzD_GT4
09-02-2007, 02:30 PM
thanks for gettin back john, yeh 1200US wud be 1500AU at most, i wish it was that cheap for a decent turbo back. Im told the aussie-exhaust DP is one of the best, but i need a catalytic converter, its US$345 for the downpipe (inc shipping) and US$555 (inc shipping) for the mid pipe with highflow cat. the cat back is then US$800+, i cant remember exactly.

wat u say makes complete sense, the full system has gotta be the way to go. its just so expensive for a full aussie-exhaust... did you have yours custom made? any advice?

im def gonna get the aussie DP, its HPC coated n i dnt wanna trust the cheap ebay ones.

thanks for ur help again man.

The Captain
09-03-2007, 03:07 AM
The downpipe is really the only thing that's a challenge for a custom shop. That's the part I bought pre-made. Everything else on the car is custom. Grand Bending, a shop here in Atlanta has the capability of mandrel bending 5 inch pipe! The guy who did it is an artist. I used a "Random Technologies" cat from Loganville, GA but any "hi flo" type cat will work. Just use the same diameter throughout the system.

$345 seems a lot for a downpipe. Mine actually is an ebay model and it's worked well. The mid pipe is pretty straight forward with the exception of the flex joint just passed the under body brace. It's about 10 inches long (the flex joint). The real challenge lies in getting the pipe over the rear axle. Of course it's all stainless.

AzD_GT4
09-04-2007, 06:35 AM
thanks for ur help again bud. i got some prices, looks like i need to do abit more saving up! only have time to work one night a week with full time uni, so it takes a while haha