PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this MR2 before?

extremeskillz
08-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Ive had him linked to my cardomain page under favorite links for about a year in a half as i was interested in his 5sfte project. I wanted to contact him but he has no contact on his page to see if he had any updates to at least update his page.

http://www.5sfeturbo.com/

burnyd
08-30-2007, 10:15 PM
great build I just dont see why people boost 5sftes in mr2s.

turbo4ag
08-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Why not?

I wouldn't do it myself, I'd rather sell the NA and buy a turbo with the extra money used to turbo the stock engine, but if thats what you want to do, why not.

The turbo has too many other benefits besides the engine for me to take on a task like that myself, though.

burnyd
08-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Why not?

I wouldn't do it myself, I'd rather sell the NA and buy a turbo with the extra money used to turbo the stock engine, but if thats what you want to do, why not.

The turbo has too many other benefits besides the engine for me to take on a task like that myself, though.

its so easy to do a na - > turbo swap... the price to prolly peice togther than entire kit would be around 1500-1600 maybe lets say plus he bought a ct20b...

Now for the price of 3sgte half clips majority of them go for around 2k... and to swap a 3sgte into NA mr2 for anyone who has ever done it its very very very very very simple. The only thing I hated doing and I will forevr hate it is bleeding the coolant.

andy
08-31-2007, 12:40 AM
my mr2 buddy warned me about that. although it wasnt a problem when we took his engine out

PhillyDRFT
08-31-2007, 09:05 AM
It's the diamond in the rough stigma that makes people like the 5sfte. It's the underdog kinda. Thats what appeals to people. The 3sgte may very well be and IMHO is the best bang for your buck. The idea of proving everyone wrong is enough to change some peoples minds. I had a 5sfte, I loved it for the first 5 months until I developed a rod knock. The engine made it another 5 months before it went on me. I sold the entire kit to some local kid for 2k. Then bought my 240.

Not to get too far off topic, it is a very cool MR2 and props for him for doing it, Since theres a bit more info floating around about the 3sge head swap for the 5sfe. I'm surprised a lot of these 5sfte guys aren't perusing it further. If I were to attempt a garage build based off of the 5s that would be the direction I would head in.

burnyd
08-31-2007, 07:09 PM
It's the diamond in the rough stigma that makes people like the 5sfte. It's the underdog kinda. Thats what appeals to people. The 3sgte may very well be and IMHO is the best bang for your buck. The idea of proving everyone wrong is enough to change some peoples minds. I had a 5sfte, I loved it for the first 5 months until I developed a rod knock. The engine made it another 5 months before it went on me. I sold the entire kit to some local kid for 2k. Then bought my 240.

Not to get too far off topic, it is a very cool MR2 and props for him for doing it, Since theres a bit more info floating around about the 3sge head swap for the 5sfe. I'm surprised a lot of these 5sfte guys aren't perusing it further. If I were to attempt a garage build based off of the 5s that would be the direction I would head in.

yah but for what you can get a full clip for with the e153 transmission low mileage on both the motor and trans compared to what you have to stay with... a high mileage motor with a shitty transmission its not worth it to be the under dog when it comes to which motor to go with on an mr2.

Cavanagh
08-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Ya it may be something "different" but burnyd is right, the chances of finding a low mile 5sfe mr2 with a weaker s53 :ugh: is not great. might as well get the 3sgte. I guess people are trying to be unqiue....while they may be, they're also pushing lower horsepower too.