PDA

View Full Version : the time has come...

Mr Celica
08-27-2007, 04:09 AM
Well, the time has come for me to get a new car. -Don't worry, I'm keeping the Celica as a project car. I have a 4Runner for the winter and I drive the Celi in the summer. This summer I came to a realization that I am putting way too many miles on the poor Celica. For only driving it 6-8 Months out of the year, I put about 8K on it. The odometer is up to 145K and rising, and its scaring me. I plan to restore this car to all stock, replace everything so it is pretty much perfect, and put it in storage.

Now for the winter, its a different story. I could care less about miles put on the 4Runner, but I wouldn't mind putting less. I am averaging 12-13 MPG. I end up putting 70-80 Dollars in the tank every week. It goes through about 2 gallons just to drive to work and back. Its slow, old, and starting to rust. I paid $500 for it, put headgaskets and a gas tank in it, and drove it one winter.

The question is... What should I buy? I plan on trading in the 4Runner I got offered $2000 as a trade at one dealership so thats the price I'm going with. My price range is anything up to $16000. I am looking for a sedan preferably, front or AWD, V6 or turbo-4, and some good options. So far I have test drove; a Subaru Imprezza 2.5rs (wrxs are too much $), a 2006 Ford Fusion (expensive for being base), a 2002 Jaguar X-Type (wtf was i thinking), and a Mazda6. I love the mazda 6, its an 04 v6 with the 5sp auto, leather, alloys, loaded with every bell and whistle, 44k for only 14,500.

What do you guys think? anyone know anything about the 6s?

Thanks!

-Rich

Blackcloud
08-27-2007, 04:18 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/9/diesel.JPG

'90 CeLicA Aus
08-27-2007, 04:22 AM
We used to have a 6. Really nice car, could do with a bit more power though.

geebes
08-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Wrx's shouldn't be over $16,000 if you are getting it used. I'd say wrx...or get the 2.5rs limited (leather sunroof awesome features).

MCcelica
08-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Personally, I'd go with the scoobie. AWD and plenty of power to keep a few guys I know happy and a lot more modifyable with minor bolt-ons. The WRS is a pretty nice car.

vip09
08-27-2007, 08:37 AM
What about a 7th gen? :cool:

extremeskillz
08-27-2007, 01:25 PM
VW TDI. with the gli package. Or just the TDI. No complaints about VW as there are no complaints about Toyota. TDI is very fun to drive and you'll average 40mpg+ all the time. And you can run on vegi oil. :hehe:

geebes
08-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I've heard vw has very poor reliability.

hobbie2k
08-27-2007, 06:06 PM
I'd say forget about performance or modification potential. After all, the point is to get a good year-round car so you can focus on turning the Celica into your performance machine. Get a good, practical, inexpensive model so you can put the savings into the Celica.

I'd recommend a base Legacy wagon, great in winter, good economy, reliable, lots of cargo space, more than enough utility for 95% of drivers.

geebes
08-27-2007, 06:25 PM
OOOOOhhhh...98 legacy gt wagon, perfection on wheels.(or outback)

MCcelica
08-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Hobbie also raises a good point. I was just saying minor bolt ons for the WRS if you wanted them. They make pretty decent power as is though.

Mr Celica
08-27-2007, 10:51 PM
yea im all for the cheap-o simple car for the winter, guys. i was looking at new corollas, too. i can get one of those brand new for less than that mazda 6 which had some dings and scrapes here and there. i do like the RS, i test drove one and it was quite enjoyable. the problem i found out today after i called one dealership is that they don't like giving out loans to first time buyers on used cars. its much easier and with a smaller interest rate to buy a brand new car. i know subies are a lot new, and the mazda 6s are too. i was also considering either the mazda 3 or a ford focus.

going to look at a dealership tonite, hopefuly ill figure something out.

Murgatroy
08-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Get a Yaris.

Toyota reliability, gas sipping goodness, and still a itty bitty sticker price for a brand new car.

Mr Celica
08-28-2007, 04:10 AM
if i got a yaris i'd get laughed at by everyone. its not me, it would never fit me.

Murgatroy
08-28-2007, 05:44 AM
They are supposed to be rather roomy. I have never sat in one though. I think the 3-door looks really neat.

geebes
08-28-2007, 05:56 AM
Dude, as a friend that works at a bank I must advise you not to go through the dealership for a loan. Go through a bank, or better yet a credit union. :)

Shadowlife25
08-28-2007, 05:57 AM
I'd go with the Legacy, the Impreza, or the Mazda 6.

MCcelica
08-28-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm with geebs and for once entirely agains murg. You would be ill advised to finance through a dealership. I'd say go for the WRS, but get a bill of sale from the dealership and get the loan through a bank, or preferably a credit union. The bank will at least work, but you might get a high(ish) interest rate but it will still work a lot better than financing through the dealership. A credit union will not be as happy to oblige to a loan as the bank, but if you do get approved, 9 times out of 10 the credit union will give you a better interest rate.

As far as the Yaris goes. My opinion. Total crap. Look wise and functionality of the interior is ok. Decently roomy, but not enough for me (I'm 6'3). The main issue I take with it is I would hate to have to do even routine maintenance on it. The engine is practically shoved up under the windshield. Even putting oil in it would be a bitch and a half.

1990CelicaGT-S
08-28-2007, 10:43 AM
My personal opinion is that if your looking for a good year round car that you'll want to last you a while then stay away from a Mazda. They just rust out way too soon. I'd go with either the Subaru Imprezza or the Corolla. The new Corolla is a really nice car.

andy
08-28-2007, 04:16 PM
vote for subbie

maxaud
08-29-2007, 05:19 AM
wait for the '08 AE86, they are sopposed to be cheap and it would be economical, Toyota, and new.
Can't remember if they are getting released here in '08 though.

85gtsblackman
08-30-2007, 07:08 PM
i drove the mazdaspeed 6

thn drove a 07 legacy befor i got my 05 legacy

my 05 legacy gt is more fun in every way hands dow, and u can find them cheap enough if u look hard, mine was 16 out the door, with 33k on it and balance of 60k warenty still left
as of now im close to 38k , no problems cept a fan recall, but everything else is fine

also its the perfect sleeper, the ecu is programable stock, u just need cobb accessport, and u can do all the mods to a legact gt that u can a wrx sti cause its the same engine, just differnt turbo and ic

gasmilage wise i get 22 city and 30hwy, not bad for a 250hp, awd 3100 lb car,that runs low 14s stock

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/035.jpghttp://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/038.jpg

seem em as low as 12k for a gt that is, 9 with salvage title

Mr Celica
08-30-2007, 10:00 PM
yea they had an 05 GT for sale at the yota dealership. a medium blue color, leather, 5spd, loaded. 75k miles though... kinda scary on a 2-3 year old car. they were asking 15 for it. i like those cars my boss has one and the asthetics are awesome, i love the way they look.

85gtsblackman
08-30-2007, 11:29 PM
offer 13, go get it

whole car is bullet proof

T-spoon
08-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Dude, as a friend that works at a bank I must advise you not to go through the dealership for a loan. Go through a bank, or better yet a credit union. :)

You know what's funny? Toyota finance gave us a pretty good deal on the Camry I cosigned on for my wife when we were dating. Then later we went through a bank for the Spyder and got :owned: But.. that's probably a-typical.

turbo4ag
08-30-2007, 11:59 PM
2003-2006 Accord EX V6... If I had the money I'd really get this car. Looks much better than a Camry, and has more power for cheaper 240hp 212tq. Plus 30 MPG FTW!!

Generally $14K-$16K will get you one with around 40K miles

Really looks nice:
http://www.rexkaile.com/motorshow/japan/honda_accord_EX_V6_coupe_0001.jpg
http://www.rexkaile.com/motorshow/japan/honda_accord_EX_V6_coupe_0002.jpg

Mr Celica
08-31-2007, 04:32 AM
yea thats not a bad car. hard to find them used here for that cheap though. i can find the 4 cyls tho...

geebes
08-31-2007, 06:24 AM
yea they had an 05 GT for sale at the yota dealership. a medium blue color, leather, 5spd, loaded. 75k miles though... kinda scary on a 2-3 year old car. they were asking 15 for it. i like those cars my boss has one and the asthetics are awesome, i love the way they look.
doooo eeeett!

turbo4ag
08-31-2007, 03:08 PM
yea thats not a bad car. hard to find them used here for that cheap though. i can find the 4 cyls tho...

Yeah, guess cause I live in Miami, one of the highest population cities the prices are so low. In my local autotrader I searched online and found about 8 EX V6s in a 25 mile radius that had 40k or under.

Just keep looking. I wouldn't settle for a GT Celica with 75k miles on it though. Thats alot of time for the previous owner to totally destroy a perfectly running engine. Atleast with around 40k miles its a 99% chance they pretty much were bringing it in for warranty/maintenance services very regularly.

Mr Celica
08-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah, guess cause I live in Miami, one of the highest population cities the prices are so low. In my local autotrader I searched online and found about 8 EX V6s in a 25 mile radius that had 40k or under.

Just keep looking. I wouldn't settle for a GT Celica with 75k miles on it though. Thats alot of time for the previous owner to totally destroy a perfectly running engine. Atleast with around 40k miles its a 99% chance they pretty much were bringing it in for warranty/maintenance services very regularly.

it was a legacy GT, not a celica. 75k on a turbo car makes me worried though. im going today to test drive some shtuff. let ya guys know.

85gtsblackman
08-31-2007, 06:19 PM
the turbo holds up, theres guys on the lgt boards that have well over 100k on the vf40, plus theres always a low milage vf40 for sale cause the lgt guys swap to a vf39 (sti turbo)

oh and the legacy 5 speed is differnt than the wrx 5 speed....its a really beefy trans compared to the wrx trans

oh and boo on the honda, what u dont realize is while toyotas cost more out the door, u will pay more on maintainace for a honda than u would a toyota in the same class (u learn these things while being a tech)

when u go drive the legacy it should hold between 10-14.5 lbs of boost

geebes
08-31-2007, 06:31 PM
THey have been doing legacy turbos for several decades. Some people I know with an early 90's ones have over 300k on the same engine.

85gtsblackman
08-31-2007, 06:42 PM
< had a 93 turbo legacy long ago

turbo4ag
08-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Uh-uh...

The Hondas always cost less because they have more aftermarket companies making parts. Something like an O2 sensor will have many more companies for the Accord over the Toyota. Maybe OEM parts are cheaper from Toyota than OEM parts for Honda. Im not sure about that, but I know for sure there are more aftermarket companies. And because of this you can get the parts cheaper than you would for a Toyota. I know this because out of the 7 cars I've owned all have been Hondas and Toyotas.

Also, in part cost, theres no comparison between Honda/Toyota with the Subaru your suggesting anyway.

I'd take either a Camry or Accord, but I like the design of the Accord better than the last gen. Camry or Solara. The new ones look sick. But thats new car prices too.

Mr Celica
09-01-2007, 04:45 AM
still.... 75k miles on a 2 year old car. no warranties or anything. i test drove an 08 corolla s today and i am probably getting it for $15k.

geebes
09-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Whats wrong with used?

Mr Celica
09-01-2007, 05:00 AM
less warranty, higher APR.
i'm a first time buyer.

plus gettin a new car with 50 miles on the odo. would be shweeeet :)

85gtsblackman
09-01-2007, 11:32 AM
1zz.........sigh.........later

Mr Celica
09-01-2007, 03:49 PM
all i'm lookin for is a dependable daily diver thats good in the snow too. nothing super fast. i like the corolla because they're cheap, reliable, and they hold their value. a used corolla is only 2k cheaper than a brand new one.

and if i wanted i can always add some TRD stuff to make it nice, too.

geebes
09-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Hold out for the Scooby!!! Please?

85gtsblackman
09-01-2007, 08:41 PM
:stupid: xeveventy billion

if thats your case buy a 3rd gen or something else with an r series engine

turbo4ag
09-02-2007, 01:37 AM
The Corolla sounds good, but underpowered if you need traction in snow. A 4 cylinder Accord sounds much better still. I still would want a little HP along with the reliability, thats why I suggested the Accord, or even a Camry/Solara.

But for only 50 miles on it and $15k... thats not bad. What options it got?

Mr Celica
09-02-2007, 04:30 AM
yea it seemed a bit slow off the line, but TRD makes some nice stuff like cat back, intake and oh yea a supercharger :D. the sube was sold actually the day i went to test drive the S, the saleswoman i talked to had just sold it before i got there. oh well.

the S has power windows, locks, AC, 6 disc changer, and thats about it. i'm planning on keeping it for 1-2 years and trading it in when my credit is better and i can get better interest rates.

my 5th gen GTS could smoke the corolla off of the line, it lacks in tourque. but i think once it gets going could easily own my celica, because of the lack of high end power of the 5sfe :(

i have another month to think about it. i was also looking at a ford fusion, but its more expensive with less options. i do like the looks of the new nissan sentra. the mazda 3 isn't bad either. i have to go test drive some more.

85gtsblackman
09-02-2007, 10:47 AM
if your gonna get a mzda 3 u may as well get a new wrx

turbo4ag
09-02-2007, 06:50 PM
I think that Mazda 2.3 Sport has the best balance of the "compact sedan" class. Stylish exterior and interior, pretty cheap, and pretty much faster than everything in the same class (on par with Scion TC).

But being that Mazdas are basically Fords... I dont trust them for reliability. (I have no experience or knowledge in this area, Im just biased to domestics & reliability). Those new Sentras are ugly though. I dont know which car your looking at.

Ghosty
09-06-2007, 01:20 AM
The Corolla S is a pretty sharp looking car, especially in black.

Although... didn't you say something that's good in the snow?

I don't know how much snow you get in NH, but if it's anything what like we get in the midwest, it's a nice reassurance to have that traction under you.

Granted, with careful and skilled driving, you might never actually need AWD.

I'd take a second look at a Scooby...

... and personally, I'd take a look at getting a used car instead of a brand new one. You are going to take a BIG hit in value when you drive it off the lot. And, you're a mechanical-capable guy, right? Then why worry about the warranty?

I'd look into the hatchback Impreza of yesteryear. 2002-2007. Some even came as a WRX.

Mr Celica
09-06-2007, 03:28 AM
in NH we get the severity of every season, winters being the longest. my 4x4 4runner is a lovely thing to have when its snowing, but when its not, the 12mpg is a downer.

i would get a used car, but its harder to get approved for a first time buyer on a used car, and the interest rate is really high.

i was also thinking a subaru 2.5RS either sedan or wagon. the 173hp and AWD is appetizing.