PDA

View Full Version : Mk III Supra seats into 88 GTS

Kiasis
08-22-2007, 03:49 AM
I've given up trying to get my leather GTS seats recovered. No one makes a leather seat cover for them. However, I can get replacement leather seat covers for 88-92 supra seats, and they looked very similar to the GTS/Alltrac seats.

Anyone swapped MkIII Supra seats into a 4th gen Celica? Straight swaps? Rail mods needed?

I also read that for some years, the GTS and Supra shared the exact same back seat, and the pics of the Supra looked just like my rear seat - SWEET! Can anyone confirm this?

I smell new leather... :bigthumbu

Murgatroy
08-22-2007, 04:03 AM
If the GT-S and Supra shared the same seats, it would have been in the 3rd Gen Celica, Mk II Supra, as they were the same chassis.

Hiko
08-22-2007, 04:40 AM
I don't know about how they'd fit, but I have seen someone put a MKIII supra seat on a scale and it came out to be 80 pounds!! I wouldn't put one in for that reason alone.

The search function on c-c.com doesn't go back after a certain point, otherwise I'd link the thread.

The Captain
08-22-2007, 04:41 AM
I had my seats redone in leather. It was only $1500 front and rear. DOH!!!

Kiasis
08-22-2007, 06:34 AM
gt4rcdude - congrats on not living in CA... After visiting most of the respectable auto interior shops in the area, I'm averaging about $650 for each front seat and the same for the back - so yeah, about $2K. I can get Supra covers for $800 - front and back.

Hiko, Supra seats are heavy (and so aren't the basically same 4th gen GTS/Alltrac, although 80lbs seems a little high since I was toting one of mine around to various shops and it didn't stretch my arm out that much). I had a line on some 2000 GTS seats, but didn't get there in time - and they weren't nearly as comfortable as mine. I'll take the extra weight to have the power lumbar/bolster and comfort.

Still curious if anyone has direct experience w/ putting MkIII seats into a 4th gen Celi.

ToyotaSupra
08-24-2007, 07:37 AM
I have a Mk3 supra and the seats do look very similar to my friends celica supra. The supra seats are kinda heavy, but not 80 lbs. I can lift it out of the car pretty easily; more like 50-60 lbs due to the electric motors. Passenger side is 45 lbs, but the seats are very comfortable, very adjustable.

Kiasis
08-24-2007, 08:38 PM
^ yup. That's why I'd like to keep them - comfort. My car will be 30 lbs lighter when I shed my spare tire, not the car's. I lift hay bales and sacks of horse feed every day. I estimate the seats top out around 40 lbs each. I'm guessing the seats are damn near bolt in, or w/ minor rail mods. Looks like another junk yard safari :bigthumbu

85gtsblackman
08-25-2007, 01:05 PM
your going to want 5th gen gts seats or 7th gen gts seats

the mk3 seats are pretty much same as mine, mine are very diffrent from the fwd seats

Kiasis
08-27-2007, 06:13 AM
Maybe I've got my Mk's screwed up. I'm talking about the 86.5-92 Supra - whatever Mk that is. I've put pics of the seats side-by-side, they're very similar to my 88 GTS. I just haven't checked out the rails and was hoping someone here had personal experience w/ that. However, I'll just head out to T.A.P. and check them out. They've got an 88 Supra and an 89 Supra that both have the seats ready for me to test fit them.

85gtsblackman
08-27-2007, 02:40 PM
mk3 supra seats are just bigger heavier electric mk2 seats