PDA

View Full Version : My 500mph office. . .

The Captain
08-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Here's a day for me at the office. Different company though. In case your wondering, I sit on the left. :hehe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8R9Aqkq5oI

This one IS my company. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tckuypdwlCA&mode=related&search=

vip09
08-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Neat-o. That looks like a fun job.

MCcelica
08-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Sweet. That would be awesome. But as for me, I'm probably doomed to spend the rest of my plane time in the very back... cause I'm always broke and I'm always GOING to be a cheapass.

Cavanagh
08-22-2007, 02:39 AM
Aahhaa ill be right back there with ya NSY.

3sgte@daspeedof
08-22-2007, 09:36 PM
How much did it cost you to learn to fly?
I've been told that if I wanted to learn to fly I would need to have 20/20 vision and laser eye surgery is not good enough. Is that true?
If I wanted to make a career change what kind of background pre-requests would I need to take.

T-spoon
08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
This intrigues me. I'm looking for a career change, and had originally wanted to fly for the AF, but that just didn't work out. How feasible is it to get into commercial piloting starting from scratch?

Yep.. think I'm going to start working on getting my license, build up some hours, and see where it leads. Hmmm.

The Captain
08-23-2007, 03:11 AM
About 30 grand. You'll need to acquire the following "tickets". Private, takes about 60 hours of flight time. Instrument, must have 125 hours. Multi-engine Commercial, minimum 250 hours. The airlines will be so desperate in about 2 years they may have to resort to paying for ab-initio training. The biggest pilot shortage in the history of the industry is coming to fruition. With airlines taking away retirements, pensions, pay cuts and quality of life no one wants to do it anymore. There were only 6200 applications for "commercial" in the last 12 months. That doesn't even cover retirements, let alone growth.

Your first year you'll be lucky to break 20g's. Second year isn't much better.

The whole eyesight thing is bull snicky. It must be corrected to 20/20. I've had Lasik.

T-spoon
08-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Hmm, well that sounds like a mixed bag, less pay than there had been, but perhaps easier to get into.. but.. at least I like flying, which is more than I can say for what else I can think of to do ;) I have no benefits from current job anyway, and don't make a whole lot more than what you say it starts at now either after three years. :hehe:

hobbie2k
08-23-2007, 02:09 PM
I went to college for commercial aviation, after 50 grand I hadn't even finished my IFR, mostly it was because I was relying on student loans and they kept arriving late meaning I couldn't fly and kept missing deadlines. I finally said screw it and got an English degree instead. Oh well, If I hadn't quit flying and gone to Australia, I wouldn't have met my wife...